Sign in to follow this  
Maz12

What do i need to upgrade?

trying to make it so i get better performance in dayz, cause my frames are terrible

cpu : amd athlon 645 quadcore @ 3.1ghz

gpu xfx hd 7770 1gb ddr5 @ 1.2ghz

hardrive: HDD 1tb 7200rpm

4gb ram

Not sure if its my hard drive,i think its most likely my cpu but should my hardrive be good to run this game? any tips would be nice im sorta on a budget so >$200 would be nice.

attachment is my system on can you run it for dayz.

post-72127-0-69048700-1344721013_thumb.p

I have an unlocked phenom B50 @ 3.6ghz, 4 gig ram, 2 x 5770 (2x 1gb) and a 500 gig sata II main drive and mine runs fine so I'm guessing maybe gfx? something more powerful or double up on what you have?

Edited by wooly-back-jack

A card with at LEAST 2 gigs of video memory may or may not help.

This and your CPU is kinda old/slow.

7770 is adequete for dx9 gaming at 1080p but your cpu is weak. I would change the platform If I were you.

Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz

ASRock B75M LGA 1155 Intel B75 Micro ATX

4gig or 8 gig ddr3 1600mhz ram with cl9 timings

or

get a cheap H61 chipset motherboard, get a i5 2500 cpu, get 8gigs of ram.

Edited by hazedaze

If you're having problems with that setup, it's likely more of a problem with the server. When servers have trouble, they slow the frames of all clients connected to them. Stupid, but that's how it is.

If you're having problems with that setup, it's likely more of a problem with the server. When servers have trouble, they slow the frames of all clients connected to them. Stupid, but that's how it is.

its like on almost every server i get like a 15-20 fps in cherno/electri abd like 30-35 out chenro and electro

7770 is adequete for dx9 gaming at 1080p but your cpu is weak. I would change the platform If I were you.

or

what do you mean change the platform

or

the things you listed combined would be to much for me

my 1.83ghz i7 never gets fully utilized so I dont see why your CPU would.

Open task manager and look at the CPU usage of each core

Use a program like MSI Afterburner to monitor GPU usage + gpu memory (and gpu temp! arma2 is a gpu temp killer!)

Check the RAM usage of your PC during arma2 (shouldnt really be an issue unless there is something else using a lot of RAM, arma2 usually uses ~1.2GB of RAM for me)

My cpu is weaker than yours but I run the game fine. You need a better graphics card.

My cpu is weaker than yours but I run the game fine. You need a better graphics card.

Umm..no he DOESN'T, are you playing 800*600 with 300 view distance or what?

CPU is what he DOES need

His Cpu vs (already quite outdated) i5 760 http://www.anandtech...duct/188?vs=191

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

You have a great machine. You provably can hold it for more than a year, yep. You can invest in cooling your machine and do a overclocking, using benchmark tool and slowly increasing your parameters. See that your CPU can handle more than this game, so the real problem is your GPU, if you want o play it in > High quality.

Another big problem is Windows, as it suppose that all users is a monkey with a damaged brain, it load almost every know service at startup. A service is a high priority task owned by user/group system, ans most of it runs with part in kerneland. But windows's schedule is know be not efficient to handle many high priority non-preemptive system tasks in SMP systems :P, aka system tasks in a "multiprocessed" system, like yours.

SO it's good beet read about windows services, and your installed software that runs at boot, so you know which can be disabled for ever, like bluetooth service when you don't have a bluetooth device, or which you can turn a manual loading, when another service can load a dependable service. This way you can avoid a forced premptive schedule ticks when playing your game.

This can increase notably your system performance, deeply when dispatching GPU tasks, made by Directx.

Read a little about this, and install some software to help you in this kind of tuning , like Advanced system care (turbo game option have a list of services idle at gaming, so it automatic disable at games) . Most people will tell you to buy a new machine, because it's easy bypass windows inefficiency with high end PC :P

Edited by octopos

Umm..no he DOESN'T, are you playing 800*600 with 300 view distance or what?

CPU is what he DOES need

His Cpu vs (already quite outdated) i5 760 http://www.anandtech...duct/188?vs=191

No, he doesn't need a new cpu. His cpu is powerful enough to handle this game. The resolution AND view distance isn't a work for CPU directly, it's GPU dependable.

You are right about comparing his cpu with a new one, right his cpu isn't so powerful. But you're using a benchmark, that have a set of stress test, so it set the CPU to it's limit, and give your what's this limit.

The work of the CPU in this game, as in almost all recent games, is to submit task to GPU, like texture rendering/loading (by *DMA, so the CPU is out of the disk reading) ,providing the sound(most recent(like >2008) soundboard can use *DMA to load high quality audio) , controlling(mouse/keyboading) and some minor tasks.

So the most heavy work the CPU designate to GPU and soundboard. Of course if he buy a new CPU we will gain like 5fps, this gain is most probably by a smaller task queue than a faster threads dispatched by this game. This gain can be(almost, completely or better) done with a better list of active services and running program. Running windows without AERO for example, can give him more fps in game than buying a new CPU.

Edited by octopos

Bro...seriously...stop spreading bullshit, you're completely delusional

The only part you're correct is that having too many open tasks at onse does eat on some resources

( OP - try gamebooster, just google it and avoid having multiple tabs in your web browser, aslo read on some tweaks how to get the max out of arma)

Arma view distance is handeled by CPU, the AI - zed's are handled by CPU, the shadows are partly handled by CPU, the damage is handled by CPU and so on...I've been around arma long enough to know that this game is CPU greedy bastard and I know for a fact that players with phenoms X4 II experience not as smooyh gameplay like the ones with latest intel CPU's.

Oh and by the way sound in arma is handeled trough CPU as well, its the hi-def sounds that can be dealt with trough GPU.

OP - if you still confused about all the responces here because of all these trolls, just take it to bohemia forums or tom's hardware.com and ask there.

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

Whoa Colonel, your opinion is a great scientific proof =]

According to this: http://community.bis..._Answers#Engine

The light is calculated per pixel in all object, and it's already know that light algorithm have it parameters used in shadow algorithm. Some times the shadow is the direct calculated as the objects are illuminated, so light and shadow are almost dependable. Of course I maybe wrong, you can always support your arguments in non opinion proof.

The view distance is a pre-frame calculation using a approximation of the real object state, so these objects are displayed using a numeric correlative algorithm to pass you the immersion of distance. If you tell me that a preframe calculation is done by CPU, I have bad new for you....

According to this benchmark relative a CPU in ARMA2, not so close to our environment, because of the old version of arm2 used in this test. But it can be used to a non opinion speculative behavior of these CPU in most recent arma2 version.

http://www.hardware....-11/arma-2.html

As you see, there's differences from hight end CPUs from others, but the differences isn't soooo big. There's 10 fps from Maz12 CPU in compare to the most scored CPU. And these differences isn't all direct to game performance it self, there some noise in there.

Of course he will have more fps if he change his CPU, but if we change his GPU he will gain MUCH MORE fps... it's incomparable..

Edit: Typo, english is my 3rd language :}

Edited by octopos

Those benchmarks are almost 3 years old - 2010 and has been tested on 1.03 patch. Since than bohemia made many changes includung their engine and released operation arrowhead afterwards. (with loads of changes in the engine)

Sure he could use better GPU and gain couple fps but Cpu in arma is as crucial as GPU, if not more. (it is more) The best he could do is to sell his athlone and get at least phenom 2. I believe it shouls be compatible still and than upgrade his GPU as well, when finances allow.

As of 10 fps difference as you shown above, that's where we're talking about barely playable or slide show.