Simple item, easy to implement, it's even in A.C.E.

Gunshots should damage earing with time and this item would be there to help. It'd go in the "head" slot, where you have binocles and NVG.

Yeah, those of us who ever shot a gun in real life knows how this shit hurts when you're indoors.

Plus, I think this might be the simplest suggestion to date, but it's the little things that counts, and I'd love that.

Would they automatically be put into affect when in you gear? Or would it use a self-interaction dialog like in ACE?

Also, they sure do help when your shooting, but it may result in not being able to hear zombies in the distance or other players far away.

The earplugs should make you deaf until unequipped. That way people don't just run around with them on all the time to bypass the gunshot sounds.

The earplugs should make you deaf until unequipped. That way people don't just run around with them on all the time to bypass the gunshot sounds.

Sounds good to me.

... but it's the little things that counts

Most true thing I read all day.

I like the idea as well. What would be the effects of not wearing them? Ringing in ears? So you are deaf with them on and deaf if you're not using them but the former you can toggle on and off? :)

The plugs can go equipped/unequipped for when it suits you, like in A.C.E.

The effect would vary based on the weapon that was shot and on the surroundings. In the open = sound travels far without hitting any objects so it doesn't bounce back to your ear. Less damage.

In closed areas = sound hits the walls, goes back to your ears. More damage.

At first would be a high pitched ring, with a hearing loss for about a second, but it's gradative and a long term problem, so the more you shoot with heavy weapons and indoors, the more ringing and longer hearing loss.

Sounds for the weapons are already fully functional at interacting with the world, as it can aggro zombies, and every weapon has it's own sound wave radius. I believe it wouldn't be too hard. Correct me if I'm wrong, devs.

I would love the game to death if you couldn't only find earplugs, but also those larger ear protections with radios built in. :cool:

If you make them less common people would have more things to consider before pulling the trigger. Heh.

Some kind of earpro would be awesome, like Sordins to help block out gunshots and perhaps filter some of the ambient noise (hear footsteps and breathing more clearly).

They should be somewhat rare, maybe a little more so than binocs, but not as much as NVGs.

I don't think an ear damage system is needed. I don't even fire my weapon some gaming sessions.

I don't think an ear damage system is needed. I don't even fire my weapon some gaming sessions.

Good for you. So you should be just fine with the ear damage system!

Do we really need a system for everything? Shitting/Pissing system next?

Already a suggestion thread about that.

No, just stuff that matters.

Military/Survival simulator, you end up inevitably living by your gun.

Guns are pretty much one of the very key things in the ARMA/DayZ mechanic of gameplay. Things like gravity affecting bullets, sounds echoing and attracting enemies, the recoil, the accuracy, the stopping power, all of this is extremely important. How the gun affects you is also important, therefore my suggestion.

Hope you're satisfied with my explanation, if not, I'll be glad to elaborate even further, as I'm a very annoying prick.

Please no. Long exposure to constant "beep" will only help your REAL LIFE tinnitus w/e its called in english.. i.e. you will start hearing that shit irl.