Kniekehlenheinrich

The announced base building + Suggestions!!

Hello comrades, survivors!

I read that Rocket said that base building and dogs were implemented in the standalone so I asked myself: What will be a base?

Maybe just a deer stand or a bigger tent. Maybe little military outpost of wood. Maybe a house with palisades around followed unending lines of wirefence.

So I opened this topic to imagine what could be there and discuss our Ideas. Maybe someone knows what plans already exist ?

My Ideas:

-Wooden palisades/fences

-simple military defenses (sandbags, tanktraps, trenches, etc.)

-big tents like the ones next to the hospital

-deer stands

-maybe houses but only if you would need very much things to build them (nails, cement, wood, scrap metal etc.)

Now your ideas please:)

• Like 1

He's clearly stated in several interviews that player bases will be underground, basically ruling out all of your ideas. The underground idea is to save on memory and to stop the map being ruined by players with each base effectively being it's own instance. He's talked about dead weight traps, electric generators and even hydroponics, so we'll have to wait and see what ends up making it to the final version.

Edited by Fraggle

yeah underground is really the only thing that makes sense to save the game from players destroying the landscape like you see when you join a public minecraft server lol. Im just curious to see will other players be able to access my underground base? will there be manhole riddled across that map because of all these underground bases? This will be interesting to see how Rocket makes it work, because I dont have a good answer for any of the above

It's noticeable that generators will be introduced, cause when you grab a jerrycan, and mouse over it, the description states, A 20-litre Jerrycan used to refuel vehicles or power generators.

Hopefully they will only be accessible by digging or searching in the spot where the entrance is, just to advoid a Swiss cheese map.

It's noticeable that generators will be introduced, cause when you grab a jerrycan, and mouse over it, the description states, A 20-litre Jerrycan used to refuel vehicles or power generators.

Portable generators are in the game now, they're one of the rarest thing you can find along with the radio and are completely useless.

In answer to Kniekdblahbudohdoodah's question I have no idea what form the underground bases will take, it'll be fun finding out though.

• Like 1

It is if your mildly dyslexic.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

i think one would require an E Tool to be able to build one, and a crowbar to break into one.

i personaly love the idea of underground bases! making a death maze of sorts to get to your living area. that alone is enough for me, but if you were able to make above ground defenses as well? holy crap the possibilities are endless! maybe implement a machine gun on a bipod attached to sandbags for a hasty defensive postition. or a multi leveled sand bag bunker? oh man im so friggin excited for the stand alone! P.S. if you are able to make a pungi pit you bet your sweet @$$ im going to line the outside of my base with em :P

Maybe we can build a sort of simple pavilion. If you have this you can just build 3 sandbags in a "U-Form" and you have a sort of mgnest, but without a mg :/ I already mentioned that it could be fun to find a heavy mg somewhere. Just as a part of a mgnest so you could build a mg nest with 1mg, 3 sandbags and 1 tent. Would be nice :)

Maybe we can build a sort of simple pavilion. If you have this you can just build 3 sandbags in a "U-Form" and you have a sort of mgnest, but without a mg :/ I already mentioned that it could be fun to find a heavy mg somewhere. Just as a part of a mgnest so you could build a mg nest with 1mg, 3 sandbags and 1 tent. Would be nice :)

This would be awesome provided that a player needs to actually man the mgnest

why is everyone going nuts over genorators? the whole concept of having a base is to keep it hidden. That meens no deer stands aswell.

Thats your style to play. Dont think every one plays like this.

I for example search for spots that are often visited. For example the factory ---> 5 players in one hour. So i would build me a visible fortress to hold players off from it.

It would make sense if everyone has their own little instanced version of the map and they can decorate it any way they want. Multiple players could have the same access point but depending on who selects it, they would get taken to their own secret hideout in the sewers or a cave system or whatever.

Although to prevent it being just another way to exacerbate the cheesiness of tents as a mechanism for preventing permadeath, it would be nice if it was purely a personalized, cosmetic thing. Maybe you could decorate it with random aesthetic goodies you find around the map (like diary entries/dogtags (evidence)/the like).

• Like 1

I think underground is crap, how are players building these epic structures? If they are simply finding them then why can't the same be done for above ground houses?

I think real time should stay in and this could be the reason that farming, building, etc are not included. Instead players could simply fortify exhisiting locations by blocking up doors, securing gates, repairing existing fences etc. There are a shit ton of ways that he could prevent players from recking the map by building on it everywhere, and I for one would prefer that he stick to forage/fortify over build/grow.

• Like 1

Instanced bases would have an issue with people camping entrances, the fewer entrances there are the worse it would be.

Allow fortifications to be built, once enclosed these areas are immune to ghosters and server hoppers, pin code needed to get directly in? (this is just to allow the authorised people in)

But once pin has been set it cannot be changed for 30 days, thus makin trust an issue.

Allow this area to have bean spawn and water well, also add a fuel tanker that has a finite amount of fuel in it so you have to refill it.

Once the wall has been breached by either explosives people can get in without the pin.

Would then like to see people seek refuge with groups, fight as a group or remain small groups seeking existence in own way, do what you want with your areas, maybe have certain forts spawn high end gear or better resources encouraging people to either join that group or other groups to take that fort by force for said resource.

Humans are a social animal, whether being hunted (herd mentality) or social family groups (clans etc) this will bring more to the game. Giving a larger life cycle to the experience.

I know the underground base idea is being muted, however with the above idea each server will have its main base somewhere on the map and be a big target.. So being both an advantage and disadvantage at the same time, eventually leading to tribal warfare?

Sorry there are lots of different topics on base building wanted to only to enter in one but not sure if this will ever get seen.

Here is an idea for underground bases that I feel would make it slightly less jarring in context of the game.

I'm not sure how they plan for people to enter these, But I'm thinking they should design the underground bases around run down subway/metro stations, sewers, natural caves, and perhaps industrial basements, and then, depending on where you set up the entrance to you're "base", give it a aesthetic environment that suits that. For instance, if the entrance to my base is a man hole, my base will look like I built it out of an old sewer.

This could also lead to the possiblity of having bases that were more or less desirable. For instance, there could be a select few places where you could set up shop in some kind of military bunker, which would be the ultimate fortifiable palace, as opposed to the previous suggestion of a sewer or something like that, which would be a little less secure perhaps, and also, you know...the whole sewer thing...

I think there should be multiple base sizes so to start you need like 2 tents in a 10m2 area to make a small base (maybe a canvas tent smaller than a medical one with lock boxes) and so on like adding 10 wood to an upgrade box will add a deer stand. and then you would be able to get scrap metal to "fortify" walls such as fencing. But before you say this would be dumb because people could block off whole cities using this you would need to start around a flag pole witch would have a 10m2 area to place down tents to start you base. I don't know just an idea

Personally I'm not very excited by the idea of player bases being exclusively underground. It's very limiting and while I want to see underground bases, I would also like to see more above ground construction possible as well.

For example, the other day I was scouting out Electro, lone wolfing it, and doing a pretty damned good job too. Stalking other players and keeping them in my sights, while remaining unseen, like a shadow. Anyway. So I get to the grocery store and look south, and lo and behold - in massive numbers, barbed wire, tank traps, and sandbags had been erected in order to turn a building into a fortress. It was SO intriguing, so unlike anything I had ever seen, that I dropped all pretenses of being a cunning lone wolf survivor and headed over there out of sheer curiosity, with the hope that the owners were still there so that I could congratulate them on such an achievement. Of course I ended up taking a bullet from sniper hill before I could even reach the place. Curiosity killed the cat.

But my point is that THIS is the type of thing I have been dying to see in DayZ. I want the gameplay to move, in a larger way, beyond just scavenging and being shot by unseen snipers. The idea of towns being taken over by groups of people, or large refugee camps being erected by survivors, is thrilling.