Never played it... never wanted to.

It just occurred to me though. Dead Island was in development for 5 years. It was quite a hefty project technology wise. Nothing ground breaking but it wasn't exactly churned out of the mill either.

I'd love to compare the resources and time between Dead island and this. I'm sure, over all if this were retail Dead Island would still come out on top in terms of gross revenue however I bet if you actually compared the money spent on development between the two projects and the money made this would actually turn out much more profitable. The game it self has certainly caused more of a stir (marketing not included) that's for sure.

Ultimately my point being that players seem more interested in this as a zombie survival game, than Dead Island. They probably can't be compared (I don't know I've not played it as I said) but this certainly seems more interesting based on what I've heard about Dead Island.

Keep in mind that DayZ is a mod. All the stuff that this mod uses from vanilla Arma properly took a few years and a large team to develop. So the time versus money doesn't really work.

Dead Island is a cool game... but it's not a survivor game simulator.

Keep in mind that DayZ is a mod. All the stuff that this mod uses from vanilla Arma properly took a few years and a large team to develop. So the time versus money doesn't really work.

and this!

Well, its comparable, but people will of course say that "THIS GAME IS BEST; NOTHING ELSE LOL YOU CAN SHOOT PEOPLE AND STUFF"

I think dead island is a bit under-developed game, but overall, a game that is very enjoyable with friends!

Good point Veng... however you can buy the engine for retail can't you?

Most of the DayZ success should actually be attributed to the marvelous ArmA 2 engine.

Well I am not sure that's entirely true. I mean while the engine is fantastic I think what DayZ has done is offer an uncompromising, harsh environment that demands a lot from the player. Because the purpose of the game is to survive it is this unrelenting and harsh atmosphere that makes it so worth while.

Of course the Arma engine has provided probably the best venue for this kind of game however I am not entirely sure the engine is the only thing that makes it successful.

While there may not be other engines that offer the same scale that Arma does, I am not entirely convinced there couldn't be. I think what DayZ offers which other AAA titles don't is that demanding and uncompromising gameplay. No AAA developer would touch it with a bargepole because it's too risky, I believe. It's still quite a niche project, regardless of it's success but the success it has experienced illustrates that there are many people out there who don't want their hands held.

I wouldn't dare say that this could be done on any other engine, but I do argue that it is the engine which makes it successful. If anything, the bugs and limitations of the engine hinder it just as much as it aids it.

I'd love to see this kind of harsh demanding survival horror game represented in a more solid, AAA funded engine.

Dead island was a very enjoyable game for the time i could convince my friends to play it, the envirnment was interesting and combat satisfying, however it's not a survival game. I wished that the mission where you have to go get food and drinks could go on forever, so neglecting one of the survivor groups would end up with them dying, or turning against you.

Dead isand:

Co op: check

Open word: check

Survival aspects: not really

Melee combat: check and quite a fantastic one.

Firearms: check but not the focus

PvP: nope

To mo dead island had a lot of potential but the devs tried to cater to the Left4Dead crowd a little too much.

Day Z:

Co-op: possible

Open world: check

Survival aspects: check but i have yet to starve to death.

Melee combat: nope, and lets not even think about it, its arma and arma suck at this.

Firearms: check, its what arma does best.

PvP: check.

I like both games but they do not evolve in the same category, i would love an enlarged banoy island in arma though.

And brightly colored midrif t-shirts :D