Fitzkrieg

Can Openers and food expiration.

Well, its something we all own right? But hey, not like when we hear about zombies be go straight to the kitchen and grab a can opener. Make it loot to be able to open cans. Oh, and I think that keeping open cans/meat inside an old tent or in a car isn't exactly healthy. So I just think for sake of realism those would be awesome implications in the future/stand alone.

I'd love a Can Opener, but of course easy to find, good idea OP.

You don't need a can opener to open cans, it just makes it easier

Most cans nowadays have a ring-pull, so no need for a can opener. If you were really desperate you could just use a knife anyway or crack it open on a rock. Also tinned food lasts indefinatley until opened. I think the game assumes you eat a whole tin when you have a meal.

Edited by Fraggle

true, actually but still a can opener would be nice maybe with it you eat canned food 75% faster?

• Like 1

true, actually but still a can opener would be nice maybe with it you eat canned food 75% faster?

Because it takes more then .5 of a second to eat? lols

• Like 1

Well, its something we all own right? But hey, not like when we hear about zombies be go straight to the kitchen and grab a can opener. Make it loot to be able to open cans. Oh, and I think that keeping open cans/meat inside an old tent or in a car isn't exactly healthy. So I just think for sake of realism those would be awesome implications in the future/stand alone.

Add Tupperware so you can save some for later. And at least 50% of the tins should contain tuna fish or sweet corn because when I open my cupboard that is what I see /s

• Like 2

Realism or "authenticity" is all well and good, but where do you suggest we draw the line between realism and game?

Should we have to clip our toenails occasionally so that our socks last longer in order to keep from getting blisters and running slower? Should we have to brush our teeth often or risk dying from an abcessed and infected cavity? How about crotch rot? Running around in the same dirty underwear day after day is gonna cause some problems, should we add underwear and soap to make things more realistic?. I'll bet there are a lot of tics in a forrest area like Chernaurus, should we put them in as well? Giardia parasites in ponds from cow shit? Sunburn? Cancer? Guess we better have skin cancer if it's gonna be realistic eh? Oooooh.....how about eye infections or maybe a rare chance of glaucoma?

All of these could be valid points for an authentic game but are still completely ridiculous. I think people are taking the 'realism' aspect a bit too far and at some point there would be no time for anything but working through your daily checklist of tasks to perform. PVP will no longer be a hot topic, everyone will be too busy checking for tics, looking for toothbrushes / nail clippers and sunscreen to worry about shooting anyone.

It's not so much that your idea is bad or anything, but where do we draw the line? How much realism is enough?

• Like 1

Realism or "authenticity" is all well and good, but where do you suggest we draw the line between realism and game?

Should we have to clip our toenails occasionally so that our socks last longer in order to keep from getting blisters and running slower? Should we have to brush our teeth often or risk dying from an abcessed and infected cavity? How about crotch rot? Running around in the same dirty underwear day after day is gonna cause some problems, should we add underwear and soap to make things more realistic?. I'll bet there are a lot of tics in a forrest area like Chernaurus, should we put them in as well? Giardia parasites in ponds from cow shit? Sunburn? Cancer? Guess we better have skin cancer if it's gonna be realistic eh? Oooooh.....how about eye infections or maybe a rare chance of glaucoma?

All of these could be valid points for an authentic game but are still completely ridiculous. I think people are taking the 'realism' aspect a bit too far and at some point there would be no time for anything but working through your daily checklist of tasks to perform. PVP will no longer be a hot topic, everyone will be too busy checking for tics, looking for toothbrushes / nail clippers and sunscreen to worry about shooting anyone.

It's not so much that your idea is bad or anything, but where do we draw the line? How much realism is enough?

Agreed, I'm all up for more survival/realism but it has to be balanced carefully. I'd love hunting animals to require a lot more skill for example, which I'm sure it will in the standalone.

• Like 1

I certainly do think that can openers are not a good idea, simply for the same reason other people have pointed out. You can open cans without them. Food expiration for meat is good, but not for canned food. Also, don't make the food expiration too short, a few days maybe. Also, stale food should not hurt you, maybe just restore 400 blood instead of 800?

• Like 1

I really like the amount of feed back here. Just a little suggestion, cheers to all who read and/or commented.

I think you should require something to open the cans. But since where talking about Realism, Have you seen how rare bloody matches are nowadays? YOU NEVER FIND THEM. I think you should be able to start a fire with a knife and a piece of flint.

I said before on another thread that food expiration would be a great way to stop food horders. can food could last longer of course, but you wonder how long has it been sitting on that supermarket floor? (if it was a real situation of course) I'd give canned food a few days and steak just half a day to a full day, food is just way to easy to come by and hold on to.

Can opener? I dont need no stinkin can opener! Ill open it using the face of the nearest zombie as my can opener! Expired food? Its an apocalypse! Not like they got more rollin off the conveyer belt. Ill eat it anyway! I might get sick, but Ill survive.

i have an axe, a knife, and 2 guns... i really dont need the can opener. However, the food expiration isnt to bad. it would have to spawn that way for simple coding but yea i get it.