john_blund

Your opinions on forced server rules (3DP, Crosshair etc )

Good Evening!

First of all, I'd like to point out that I'm not writing this to start one of the " omigod rokciet cen yuo ples fikxs thys gema becyus unbelcaned!!1 " threads, this is purely to get the overall opinion.

I've been playing this mod for about a week non-stop now, and it was also my first experience with the Arma games, and I noticed quickly a lot of stuff I really liked about the engine, and stuff I didn't like.

As of right now there are very few servers that force rules on their servers, forexample 3DP:1 CH:0, 0 being false, 1 being true, obviously.

This means third person camera is enabled, but handscan/crosshair is disabled ( some servers have both enabled, but doesen't bother to update the text ).

I personally think the handscan shit should be disabled by default on all servers, because it gives everyone a huge advantage over everyone, spotting people through mountains, through treelines, even sometimes through buildings. This ruins immersion into the game, and also ruins the balance ( I promised, there won't be any whining from here on out ).

The third person camera I'm not too bothered with having enabled, some might say it gives you an unfair advantages in urban enviroments ( looking over walls, around corners or having a bigger FoV when scanning for enemy players around you using free-look ). I'd say this is true, but not game-breaking. A lot of players only use this option when prone, I play with it regularly, because I enjoy the way the game feels, more immersion for me at least.

The point of this thread was basically just to hear your guys pros/cons on this system, and I'd like to add that my statements might be false, situational or pure fiction, it's just what I feel I've experienced about this so far.

Thanks.

TLDR; Yay or Nay on forced server rules like 3DP:1 | CH: 0?

I can do with both, 3rd person on or off. Off is making the game much more tense and immersive, in my opinion.

What I hate is the crosshairs. They make ironsights useless, and I prefer them off every day.

"The third person camera I'm not too bothered with having enabled' date=' some might say it gives you an unfair advantages in urban enviroments ( looking over walls, around corners or having a bigger FoV when scanning for enemy players around you using free-look )"

[/quote']

This and the god damned handscan are the reasons i only play on servers that have them forced off.

3rd person view takes the fun out of crawling between z's and lets you peek around corners and behind fences etc... Crosshair is just too arcadeish and the name tag is nothing but a wallhack.

So all three are big no no for me. After all, this supposed to be a (the) "survival" game.

"The third person camera I'm not too bothered with having enabled' date=' some might say it gives you an unfair advantages in urban enviroments ( looking over walls, around corners or having a bigger FoV when scanning for enemy players around you using free-look )"

[/quote']

This and the god damned handscan are the reasons i only play on servers that have them forced off.

I'm the exact same, I'm looking for servers purely with at least one of them disabled.

I think the handscan/crosshair shit ruins the game -way- more than third person cameras does, however.

I enjoy playing with third person camera, not for the improved visibility, but just for general enjoyment and immersion :|

Relistic / simulator game needs realistic settings.

It has no sense playing this game en 3rd person like if it was GTA. You can see people without exposing your body and this setting doesnt' fit in a simulator game.

Handscan also is against a simulator game.

Hope that hardcore / expert servers grow up in the time.

I don't have a problem with any of it. Everyone got the same "advantages" anyway.

I prefer playing on servers without handscan... it takes away from the immersion as you say yourself. I've only seen this enabled on one or two of the servers I've been on though.

I can not live without 3rd person in this game. I'm one of the unlucky few who get motion sickness and headaches from the fov when in 1st person view (And it's not because of the headbobbing... That's of course turned down a bit).

The "zoom out" button does remove this problem... But I'm not going to press down a button for the whole time I'm playing just to actually be able to be in the game.

I don't have a problem with any of it. Everyone got the same "advantages" anyway.

I prefer playing on servers without handscan... it takes away from the immersion as you say yourself. I've only seen this enabled on one or two of the servers I've been on though.

I can not live without 3rd person in this game. I'm one of the unlucky few who get motion sickness and headaches from the fov when in 1st person view (And it's not because of the headbobbing... That's of course turned down a bit).

The "zoom out" button does remove this problem... But I'm not going to press down a button for the whole time I'm playing just to actually be able to be in the game.

I have the same issue with getting headaches, and if you double tap the minus key on your numpad ( it's the zoom key you're refering to ), it will be constantly zoomed out, thus granting a bigger FOV. You will need to repeat this process every time you log on though, small price to pay.

This does not work when wielding a sniper rifle by the way.

Personaly, I'll only play on servers that have crosshair and 3rdp off.

My reasoning is, I want this to be a hardcore survival zombie game, I don't want help from the screen, heck I'd like the ammo counter gone, and 3rdp and crosshair just feels like cheating.

Oh my, one would think we are talking about BF3 with Hardcore and Normalcore elitists bashing each other

This is still ArmA, 3rd person view or not is a personal preference, not a game breaking feature

The only 3 server settings that I despise:

-Nametags over hundreds of meters through bushes and trees

-Your own position and heading highlighted on the map, rendering the GPS redundant

-"Last Known Position" of other players, defeats the whole aspect of stealth, 1 look at the map and you know that you're not as alone as you thought 10 seconds ago

I get headaches and dizzynes with 1st person mode, head bobbing and limited FOV. So yeah, would suck greatly to loose the ability to play 3rd person, would actually make it pretty impossible to play. If this is the case, please remove all headbobbing and let me adjust fov so that i dont feel like puking after 30minutes of playing.

Other then that I agree with majority of people: croshairs and mouse-scan should have been gone a long time ago... totally ruins the game!

I get headaches and dizzynes with 1st person mode' date=' head bobbing and limited FOV. So yeah, would suck greatly to loose the ability to play 3rd person, would actually make it pretty impossible to play. If this is the case, please remove all headbobbing and let me adjust fov so that i dont feel like puking after 30minutes of playing.

Other then that I agree with majority of people: croshairs and mouse-scan should have been gone a long time ago... totally ruins the game!

[/quote']

As I replied to another player in this thread;

Try double tapping your minus key on numpad, this will keep your camera zoomed out, thus granting you a bit higher FOV.

3rd Person: On

Crosshairs: Off

Handscan: Off

I get headaches and dizzynes with 1st person mode' date=' head bobbing and limited FOV. So yeah, would suck greatly to loose the ability to play 3rd person, would actually make it pretty impossible to play. If this is the case, please remove all headbobbing and let me adjust fov so that i dont feel like puking after 30minutes of playing.

[/quote']

Why not just disable headbob and increase the FOV? These aspects are changeable, headbob is done in the game options. FOV might be, but I know it is possible to change.

[...] If this is the case' date=' please remove all headbobbing and let me adjust fov so that i dont feel like puking after 30minutes of playing.

[/quote']

You can actually remove all headbobbing ingame in the options. And for FOV try double tapping "-" on NumPad, as someone else said in this thread.

Everything off with the possible exception of a tweak to the name tags so they only show in very close range (10m or less perhaps) and not at all if they are wearing a mask or it's pitch black outside.

I have no problem with the crosshair or third person. I don't see a reason to force them on/off as it's mostly player preference.

Mouseover nameplates kinda screws with the experience though, imo. If I can't see them, I shouldn't be able to "see" them, y'know?

I have no problem with the crosshair or third person. I don't see a reason to force them on/off as it's mostly player preference.

Mouseover nameplates kinda screws with the experience though' date=' imo. If I can't see them, I shouldn't be able to "see" them, y'know?

[/quote']

That kindof sums it all up.

It would be very interesting to see what Rocket has to say about this, tried searching about, couldn't find anything specific :|

I like having the option or both. 1st is definitely more immersive but 3rd is very useful when navigating around zombies

I like the nametag when playing with friends, but it needs to be changed. Shorter range of it, not seeing throu trees/walls etc and it would be fine.

retard idea. you then would be able to see someone through wall. Keep trying.

Everything off with the possible exception of a tweak to the name tags so they only show in very close range (10m or less perhaps) and not at all if they are wearing a mask or it's pitch black outside.