Sign in to follow this  
JayM

DayZ PvP only

Spent days playing running around surviving with so much running and it gets old so fast.

Running around cherno for 10 minutes killing people was more fun, DayZ is no longer a survial game for me, but instead just a FFA deathmatch at the citys and it's actually a lot funner then spending so much time doing nothing.

Congratulations, you discovered one of the ways DayZ caters to many different play styles.

Achievement Unlocked: Using a forum as your LiveJournal.

Edited by Ulfhedjinn
  • Like 8

If you like getting into gunfights, why not play the game you bought?

Edit: Not sure if nicraM is directing that comment towards me, but I am not against what you are doing at all. I love PvP as well.

Edited by SixZoSeven

Just know this. You are playing the way you want. Like the kids bitching at you for "ruining their fun."

Don't buy into their BS. They won't be here to stay. These are the same chodes that will leave when some other game comes out. These are the same dbags that will DC on you, with justification in their own piddly minds that it is a solid and fair move. These are the same asshats that will hack, because they are fed up with the "BS."

I am here to tell you all, that play like this, you are the BS. When you log out for good. That is one less dummy we have to play with.

Ultimately it will be a game of smart, hardened players/killers. Some will choose to still trust other good players, others, not so much. That is the way the world works. They won't be missed. Whereas, without us, they would be ultimately playing a SP experience with broken AI and no real storyline.

I commend you, sir.

• Like 3

nicraM all I heard was "waahh waahh waahh". Only one person has said anything along the lines of anything you just remotely implied, and even he might not be saying you shouldn't play that way, as most sane people realise a sandbox game will always cater to different types.

Call of Cherno

Congratulations, you discovered one of the ways DayZ caters to many different play styles.

Achievement Unlocked: Using a forum as your LiveJournal.

You guys are killing me xD

I'm interested in seeing what kind of map(s) the standalone comes with and how they'll impact non-stop pvp guys. I know some of them will fuck off if the large towns are not near noob spawns but the full impact will be interesting to watch.

I'm not gonna say your playing wrong because your not, however can I ask if you have tried arma 2 general deathmatch and senario PVP missions?

edit: cause you may like that as well

Edited by Orthus

Spent days playing running around surviving with so much running and it gets old so fast.

Running around cherno for 10 minutes killing people was more fun, DayZ is no longer a survial game for me, but instead just a FFA deathmatch at the citys and it's actually a lot funner then spending so much time doing nothing.

If all you're after is a FFA deathmatch in the city.. you might as well just fire up ArmA 2 and drop the entire DayZ mod altogether. You'll have access to more maps (including the one DayZ uses), more personnel equipment, more types of gear, more vehicles, better respawn mechanics etc. And you won't have annoying zombies getting in the way. And ArmA has a crazy number of mods available for it that can improve sounds, gameplay mechanics, etc.

If you listen to Rocket's numerous interviews, you'll know that DayZ was really designed to encourage cooperation between players. Obviously it's not doing that very well, but the point is you're trying to fit a square peg through a round hole and (because of that) you're always going to be struggling against the setup and limiting the amount of fun you could have if you followed the advice mentioned above.

You also might want to check out All Points Bulletin: Reloaded. Lots of modern day urban combat happening there, and it's free to play.

Edited by FVin

Well FFA DM is the supported mode for this game. The only reason you don't wanna follow that is some made up morals about other people's pixels.

Obviously it's not doing that very well, but the point is you're trying to fit a square peg through a round hole and (because of that) you're always going to be struggling against the setup and limiting the amount of fun you could have if you followed the advice mentioned above.

I think you got it backwards.

Edited by SillySil

I think you got it backwards.

No.. pretty sure I typed exactly what I meant to. Why, what do you think I meant by my statement?

Edited by FVin

No.. pretty sure I typed exactly what I meant to. Why, what do you think I meant by my statement?

I don't mean you typed something wrong. I mean you misunderstand the setup.

Not playing FFA DM (unless you know the guy) is trying to fit a square peg through a round hole and (because of that) you're always going to be struggling against the setup. Because that's exactly what is rewarded in game. The game fully supports FFA DM in the current state.

If you wanted to play TDM, then why not play ArmA 2? You already bought it.

But that's the gamemode of dayz...

Edited by SillySil
  • Like 2

I don't mean you typed something wrong. I mean you misunderstand the setup.

Not playing FFA DM (unless you know the guy) is trying to fit a square peg through a round hole and (because of that) you're always going to be struggling against the setup. Because that's exactly what is rewarded in game. The game fully supports FFA DM in the current state.

But that's the gamemode of dayz...

Ah, I see the confusion. In the current state, yes, DayZ rewards players who treat this game more like a death match than a zombie apocalypse simulator. And Rocket has done very little to fix this problem, but he's made it clear that this alpha stage of the game is more about testing the viability of the game (the goal being a standalone product) than fixing these issues. The alpha is, after all, just a rough experiment.

However, if you listen to his interviews he makes it pretty clear that he wants DayZ to be more about survival and cooperation between players. He has, for example, stated that the reason he removed the starting pistol from players was to encourage new characters to work together to overcome the environment. Not that that happened..all it did was make new characters easy pickings for griefers.

Point is, if everyone just kills everyone else on sight then the entire zombie/survivor/bandit concept goes right out the window and you're left with a deathmatch game riddled with zombies on a large map. That's going to get boring quickly, and I think Rocket knows this. Eventually these little tweaks he's making in an attempt to encourage the players to focus on the environment as the adversary (rather than hunting one another) are going to give way to more drastic changes in gameplay mechanics. They have to, or most anyone who came here looking for a zombie apocalypse survival simulator is going to turn their backs on this game. Because there are far better PvP/deathmatch-style games out there, and they are a dime a dozen.

Now, seeing as the standalone version of DayZ is (according to Rocket) 2-4 months away, if he manages to hammer DayZ into something closer to his vision in that time.. then yes, treating this game like deathmatch map is ultimately going to get frustrating for that user (or feel incredibly feature-shallow), because that's not what it's designed to focus on.

• Like 2

Ah, I see the confusion. In the current state, yes, DayZ rewards players who treat this game more like a death match than a zombie apocalypse simulator. And Rocket has done very little to fix this problem, but he's made it clear that this alpha stage of the game is more about testing the viability of the game (the goal being a standalone product) than fixing these issues. The alpha is, after all, just a rough experiment.

However, if you listen to his interviews he makes it pretty clear that he wants DayZ to be more about survival and cooperation between players. He has, for example, stated that the reason he removed the starting pistol from players was to encourage new characters to work together to overcome the environment. Not that that happened..all it did was make new characters easy pickings for griefers.

Point is, if everyone just kills everyone else on sight then the entire zombie/survivor/bandit concept goes right out the window and you're left with a deathmatch game riddled with zombies on a large map. That's going to get boring quickly, and I think Rocket knows this. Eventually these little tweaks he's making in an attempt to encourage the players to focus on the environment as the adversary (rather than hunting one another) are going to give way to more drastic changes in gameplay mechanics. They have to, or most anyone who came here looking for a zombie apocalypse survival simulator is going to turn their backs on this game. Because there are far better PvP/deathmatch-style games out there, and they are a dime a dozen.

Now, seeing as the standalone version of DayZ is (according to Rocket) 2-4 months away, if he manages to hammer DayZ into something closer to his vision in that time.. then yes, treating this game like deathmatch map is ultimately going to get frustrating for that user (or feel incredibly feature-shallow), because that's not what it's designed to focus on.

I can't disagree with a single thing in this post.

The last I checked, this is a zombie survival game.

Then you must be new. Sorry to disappoint but the zombies are zero challenge in this game. They are like flies, just annoyance but nothing to worry about if you know what you're doing. The only thing they're good at is showing where people are since they only spawn around players.

About the survival... yeah you have to find food and drink but it's really easy too.

Now since you need to find gear and supplies and the most efficient way of doing that is shooting everyone I'd say that FFA is the gamemode. That's the best way of surviving. And PvE has no challenge, so people PvP.

it's more of a survival game with zombies, instead of a zombie survival game, if you die to zombies you are horrible and it's no wonder you complain when someone else kills you.

if another player kills you, you were obviously not good at surviving, and honestly, if this event happened in real life, if you think that everyone you run into will want to be your friend, you're VERY sadly mistaken

it's more of a survival game with zombies, instead of a zombie survival game, if you die to zombies you are horrible and it's no wonder you complain when someone else kills you.

if another player kills you, you were obviously not good at surviving, and honestly, if this event happened in real life, if you think that everyone you run into will want to be your friend, you're VERY sadly mistaken

however not most people would be a threat like in-game

Edited by Orthus

Yeah the survival game is kind of ruined. I hope new players are going to join this game to PvP because thats all there is. Ive been staying North of Petrovsky and a few other places and just coming in to hit up for loot. It doesn't matter though, even if Im 1km off the Grid someone will teleport to me and kill me. Can't avoid PvP no matter what you do or go.

it's supposed to be about zombies and players, and both are supposed to be threats. Just cause zombies are easy now doesn't mean they won't ever pose a challenge in the future (or at least a risk)

it's supposed to be about zombies and players, and both are supposed to be threats. Just cause zombies are easy now doesn't mean they won't ever pose a challenge in the future (or at least a risk)

No. The players are placed in a apocalyptic environment where, for the most part, they're encouraged to cooperate to survive. A few bad apples here and there are expected, which is why we have the "bandit" concept. And because of that you can't just safely assume you can trust every survivor you run across.

Don't forget, paranoia is supposed to be a major component of this game. Who can you trust? And how do you know an ally will never turn on you? Unfortunately, because of the way the players have chosen to play, the entire paranoia concept is shot. Everyone is KOS, because you're not really being paranoid when everyone *is* actually out to get you.

Edited by FVin