Sign in to follow this  
Dreygar (DayZ)

Replay Value Dwindling

They should let us turn Friendly Fire on and off in your servers just like you can in most other games. That way the guys who like that style can have at it and leave the ones like the OP alone to live off the land and enjoy the game his way. I happen to play the same and always manage to run into someone shooting for no good reason. Just this morning I was shot coming off the beach. WTF? Did you need a bandage that bad? I would have gladly given it to you sir.

• Like 1

You guys don't think it through. At all.

The general moan is that you collect collect collect collect then someone horrible kills you and so you have to do it all over again.

How much replay value do you think if there is just collect, collect, collect, collect and the onyl way to die is jumping off a light house/crashing a vehicle or getting killed by Zombies (likely much)?

Why are you dying so much?

Because you're just running around on the roads, and actually to be frank - yes the bandage is worth > 1 Lee Enfield bullet. If you think anyone is going to bother trying to hold you hostage for a bandage rather than just shooting you then you're all as dumb as the thread sounds to begin with.

This is not your usual game. If you are bored of continually dying - stop dying, the excuse that someone killed you is an opportunity to stop and think how and why that happened and improve your playstyle next life.

You guys don't think it through. At all.

The general moan is that you collect collect collect collect then someone horrible kills you and so you have to do it all over again.

How much replay value do you think if there is just collect, collect, collect, collect and the onyl way to die is jumping off a light house/crashing a vehicle or getting killed by Zombies (likely much)?

Why are you dying so much?

Because you're just running around on the roads, and actually to be frank - yes the bandage is worth > 1 Lee Enfield bullet. If you think anyone is going to bother trying to hold you hostage for a bandage rather than just shooting you then you're all as dumb as the thread sounds to begin with.

This is not your usual game. If you are bored of continually dying - stop dying, the excuse that someone killed you is an opportunity to stop and think how and why that happened and improve your playstyle next life.

Sorry, but clearly you are the douchebag-type we speak of. No one is saying that we don't want PVP. I simply suggested maybe there should be PVP areas. IE, Beach = No PVP. Small towns = No PVP. Lare Cities = PVP. Castles = PVP. PVP areas will have the best loot obviously, with a slight chance of good loot popping up in the No PVP areas just for random.

You start with no food, no water, no weapons... you are FORCED to go into areas to obtain those things, same areas people like to shoot people. There is no way around it. Stop being stupid and forcing people to only think your way.

And if your idea of replay value is shooting people, then maybe you have the wrong game? I don't see this as COD with zombies, sorry.

• Like 1

You start with no food, no water, no weapons... you are FORCED to go into areas to obtain those things, same areas people like to shoot people. There is no way around it. Stop being stupid and forcing people to only think your way.

You're not FORCED to go into Cherno, or Electro, or the NW Airfield. They're just the easiest and best places to go for stuff. It's where people like to hunt other people because that's where the best loot is. Kinda sounds like what you described with your PvP zones.

What makes the game stand out is, you can never be completely sure even when you're in the middle of nowhere that someone isn't preparing to take your beans. I'm sorry if you don't like that tension, but IMO that's unique to this game, and it's pretty much the best aspect of the game. There is no other multiplayer game on the market that does this. Why do you want to take that away?

Rocket's on the record multiple times in multiple ways about open PvP. I don't think the pro PvP guys are the ones playing the wrong game here.

• Like 1

You spawn.

Unless you are killed inside 30 seconds in the time it takes to get to some cover you're just flat wrong.

Yes you're forced to go to areas that may/may not have players in. So. Check for players before going in? I mean really what do you want me to tell you? You're two days in and you're dying a lot.

Suck it up - we've all been there. You ran inside a building making a ton of noise and got blasted on the way out - your mistake. You were running along the beach in plain view for 2 km and got blasted - your mistake, you were running across an open field because you were fixated on getting from A--->B you got blasted - your mistake.

You spawned and were sniped inside 30 seconds --> Douche bag killed you.

For the record, I don't kill fresh spawns, if I die I just get geared and go North - fresh spawns aren't worth the time invested.

You're not FORCED to go into Cherno, or Electro, or the NW Airfield. They're just the easiest and best places to go for stuff. It's where people like to hunt other people because that's where the best loot is. Kinda sounds like what you described with your PvP zones.

What makes the game stand out is, you can never be completely sure even when you're in the middle of nowhere that someone isn't preparing to take your beans. I'm sorry if you don't like that tension, but IMO that's unique to this game, and it's pretty much the best aspect of the game. There is no other multiplayer game on the market that does this. Why do you want to take that away?

Rocket's on the record multiple times in multiple ways about open PvP. I don't think the pro PvP guys are the ones playing the wrong game here.

I feel yourself and Bacon are missing my point. In my opinion, and in my eyes this game is seen as a zombie/survivor game. Not a Kill Each other, and oh it has zombies in it, game. The survivor part comes by scavenging for food/water, etc. That's the extent of the depth in this game, which has potential to be quite in depth. This game however lacks the replay value (reason for this post) in that players get bored/just want to kill other players/etc. There needs to be more to this game then just collecting all the cool stuff you want, getting bored and then killing other players or resorting to hacking/scripting/whatever those weirdos do.

Hence the suggestion of adding more things to repair/build/scavenge to keep people occupied. The game is not hard at all, and it's not tense in any way shape or form. You guys keep bringing up things like "Stop running out in the open" and all that. No one is saying I, or others are doing that when they are shot. I've spent countless times rubbing my belly raw crawling around trying to get to where I need to be. When I was killed earlier (mentioned in this thread) I was trying to enter the NW Airfield Hangars, and there is only one way to get to them and no brush. I was prone and crawling, hence how easily he shot me. There is no tactical way to approach that. Throw out some smoke? Yeah, and attract the 10 zombies I was trying to avoid in the first place.

Again, my opinion... but I don't see the point in gearing up just to camp out somewhere and wait for someone to approach just to kill them for sport (I say sport because there is probably little on them that you are interested in anyway.) To each their own and this is my opinion, my thoughts. We'll see how the game progresses for better or worse. It's gotta do something more to keep me interested though. Even if I had everything I wanted and camped out in the wild, surviving peacefully that will get boring. Maybe I'll go repair/collect vehicles and by the Jay Leno of DayZ or something at that point. Either way shooting people for no reason is still a tool bag thing to do. If you argue that fact then you're probably the toolbag shooting people for no reason, the end.

• Like 1

Once you've been playing for even a short while, survival becomes trivial. Hatchet/knife/matches and water bottles = live forever, far from towns, with next to zero risk. I think most people do one or two lives like that, then die to either bad luck or a bug, and are done with that playstyle.

All that's left, then, is PvP. Hunting players is fun and challenging. The fact that you do not see the point in it doesn't make it not fun for me. For me, scavenging towns forever with no PvP is about as fun as reading the dictionary. If you have fun doing that, great. I'll keep having fun doing what's fun for me, which is hunting other players.

Dreygar you sound like you play similar to me..

try to keep in mind if your simply trying to surivive the Apoc. you DONT need to go anywere near the Army type areas..

get yourself a decent pistol (personaly i dont even use one) and a winchester.. get teh tools needed to gut/cook ur own food.

and stick to small towns/barns.. ive had my most fun lives by living off the land and exploring (slowly) areas that are both remote and not likely to be a boon for PVP greivers..

going to military areas is gunna make you a target for sure.. even if your just there to explore/gather, the PVP crowd will shoot you on sight. its kind of a expected free-fire zone.

even teh Belota airfield area is something i avoid like the plague..

on a fresh spawn try to raid Elec. or cherno for basics as fast as you can (you have nothing to lose at this point) then head for the forest. but dont forget some morphine sticks..(not having morphine can be a life taker out of teh blue).

GL hope you stick with it, and try not to let the deaths get to ya.

Edited by Siberian
  • Like 1

Dreygar you sound like you play similar to me..

try to keep in mind if your simply trying to surivive the Apoc. you DONT need to go anywere near the Army type areas..

get yourself a decent pistol (personaly i dont even use one) and a winchester.. get teh tools needed to gut/cook ur own food.

and stick to small towns/barns.. ive had my most fun lives by living off the land and exploring (slowly) areas that are both remote and not likely to be a boon for PVP greivers..

going to military areas is gunna make you a target for sure.. even if your just there to explore/gather, the PVP crowd will shoot you on sight. its kind of a expected free-fire zone.

even teh Belota airfield area is something i avoid like the plague..

on a fresh spawn try to raid Elec. or cherno for basics as fast as you can (you have nothing to lose at this point) then head for the forest. but dont forget some morphine sticks..(not having morphine can be a life taker out of teh blue).

GL hope you stick with it, and try not to let the deaths get to ya.

My playstyle I don't think is capable at this stage in the game. I actually want cooperation and teamwork, not to run around solo/surviving on the wild. I have died countless times from zombies, and a few times from players. One time I was trying to team up with this guy. We both were starting out, he had an axe and so did I. I went to go chop up a zombie, and he came up behind me and chopped me up. I'm sure the whole time he was like. "I'ma cut this dude up, ahhaa.." Ah well, people are simply stupid.

The game lacks depth. There is nothing in this game worth hording over/shooting people for; other than your personal enjoyment. At the time of being sniped I had a good amount of equipment as mentioned. (Rifle, Pistol, Cooked Meat, Water Bottles, Morphine, Gullie suit, Matches, Compass, watch, map, etc, etc... ) I was pretty proud I was able to collect all that stuff. I could have just stayed near my water source and lived off the wild but I wanted a nice shiney new backpack, which I was hoping would be near the airfield. Sadly I ran into Mr. Snipe-alot.

The game will never get boring enough for me to want to run around and shoot other people, I'll just stop playing all together if it becomes super boring; which I feel could be inevitable because of that whole lacking of depth. The zombie AI is horrible. A gunshot isn't going to give a pinpoint location on you. They will chase you endlessly. They defeat the purpose of barbed wire, doors, ladders, water. PVP via Computer gaming is not really my cup of tea. Other than trying to team up, scavenge to get vehicles up and running... that appears to be the "end" game for me.

• Like 1

I dont want to kill people, in fact, I would gladly give them some food and transfusion if they gave me a chance. Before I ever know it, some douche will shoot at me with a fully automatic rifle.

• Like 1