Sign in to follow this  
Dreygar (DayZ)

Replay Value Dwindling

First,

The concept of this game is simply amazing. I love the idea of survival and with the addition of Zombies. I, like many others, purchased Arma 2 to play this game specifically and there are a few issues that is probably going to turn me off to this game.

1. The Zombies. Why do zombies climb ladders, swim, etc? Rocket calls them "infected" but the game calls them "zombies" so... I'll call them zombies too. Either or, it's silly. Also, if you're in the water and you just let the zombie approach. The zombie will actually stand on the water and begin attacking you. The only ways to avoid zombies is to hop in a pine tree or run through a barn and escape out the other side. Kind of silly.

2. Douchebags. This has been touched on many times i've seen... but seriously. What does one get from just killing another player, aside from their loot? Oh... that's right, the loot! Lame. It's not that hard to find your own stuff, and if that's your idea of fun to just shoot other people then you're pretty pathetic. I've been shot with nothing, and I've been shot after days of collecting things to survive. All I wanted to do was attempt to find a larger backpack so I can better thrive in the wild.

3. I attempt to join the least populated servers so I can avoid most of the nuisances but no matter where you go it always seems to follow. Starting over repeatedly isn't so bad in the beginning when you're learning the ropes but the more you learn/gather... sure.. it makes it easier because you have more knowledge of what to do but in the end... what is the point? Some lame hacker is going to transport you somewhere and everyone is going to kill one another, or some douchebag is going to kill you for your axe and flashlight.

I might give this one more go... but after days of playing I'm just tired of having to restart over and over again. The element of the human factor can make things tense, but people know that this is only a game so that factor is stupid to even consider. I just don't see how this game will ever progress unless it fixes the PVP.

Edited by Dreygar
  • Like 1

The tip from me is to change how you play and experiment with it, don't give up on dayz, pvp is a good feature as it simulates a zombie survival. I agree killing players that just spawned is stupid but it shows how stupid they are for gaining nothing and losing ammo. Not everyone is going to get along and have a big party.

• Like 1

I realize not everyone is going to get along, but it's not like an attempt was even made. People just kill regardless. Not presenting a threat, they just shoot. It's just silly, and the point of my thread is to say that... There is next to no replay value to this game. You collect, collect, collect.. You're doing good, you need a few things that you go and try to scout out for and you die. Guess what? Gotta start all over again. It is an endless cycle that becomes tedious and eventually boring. There should be PVP designated areas or something.

I know what you mean people are just idiots when it comes to pvp, I would keep playing and try and outsmart them. I did that and I'm on day 6 with a ghillie suit. I'll kill any bandit who stands in my way. Safezones would be ideal but knowing bandits some would camp outside them.

• Like 1

well, you dont need the best stuff to thrive, you can do pretty damn well with the basics. If you dont want to deal with players, do a mad dash thru one of the cities and get the basics, then get out. If you die trying, then so what, you just spawned, try again. I've found a lot of loot on dead bodies other people left laying by doing this, cuts the initial "setup phase" of my character down drastically. Peek around corners, keep your ears peeled. Movement is the best way to avoid damage, but it also attracts attention, so find a balance and check your 6

Survival by itself isn't as fleshed out as it could be right now, dont know if it will change... Think of it like any other multiplayer shooter, but with much different circumstances and challenges.

My advice is join a group, get on their TS (or whatever they use) and work as a team that way. Talking to players in game is great way to attract vultures, so keep it to a minimum. When you're in the city, give no mercy, and expect none... you'll be more successful. Also, don't get attached to your gear, you will die, you will have to start over. When you get "100% geared up" you'll reach a different problem of boredom or not wanting to risk the gear... I say screw it, have fun and don't worry about screwing up. I've been killed by hackers, ground glitches, betrayal, and snipers I never saw... I bounce back every time, and dont dwell on it. A close group of friends to game with makes this much easier.

Edited by DR@GON
  • Like 2

Totally agree with you Dreygar

Its like this game is breeding virtual pyschopaths out to kill other players because they can often I will find my body still with all my loot, so tell what is the point of killing me?

I really like this game but is ruined by the pointless, senseless, unsolicited, wholesale slaughter of players who don't even have a can of beans in their inventory.

I might play some more but this is really turning off getting the stand alone game.

• Like 1

Zombies are no real threat. Avoid them, no point killing them.

Kill everyone you see, chances are they want to kill you, also, they might have beans.

Avoid everyone, go north and rob their camps.

Blame everything else on Darwin, the weak lose.

I hope now with the ammo glitch supposedly fixed people will be less inclined to waste bullets that they can't magically regain anymore, though I'm yet to try out the new patch.

It's still not like most ammo is very rare though. People kill each other because this game gets boring when you've got good stuff, and there's nothing left to do. However I don't agree with you about this game having no replay value; when I have a long life towards the end it gets so boring I actually am quite happy when I die, the luck of your spawn and getting the basic gear together is probably the most fun part of the game.

Why don't you try out Lingor? It's a breath of fresh air if you're bored of Chernarus.

To be honest that was probably my best run as far as being alive was. I got lucky and found a ghillie suit, knife, axe, matches, rifle, pistol, water bottles, map, compass, watch, etc right from the bat. First thing I did when I got all that was head into the forest to the north away from the coastal cities where all the morons play. I had the essentials to survive, all I wanted was to find a larger pack so I can hold more stuff. Like I said, I try to play in servers that have like 10 people or less. I figure my odds increase, but sadly no matter what I do I always find an idiot. This one was using a silenced sniper rifle, and I heard one shot... the one that killed me. I was crawling to avoid zombies and entering the airfield hanger, and that was the end of that. I might try finding a group to play through here, that might makes things a little better or else I can't see me continuing this merry-go-round of looting... dead... looting... dead. I've sat on rooftops in the major cities and have seen people moving around. I've had numerous chances to just kill people, but that's not fun to me. There's on any given time 1000-30000 people playing the game through like 1000-3000 servers, but no matter what people will always shoot for no reason other than "hmm... lemme see if you have something I don't have." I'd rather be robbed of my goods than just shot. Oh well.

• Like 1

The random killing is frustrating.....but is a fun part of this game. Too many attempted friendly encounters on my behalf have resulted in a few shots to the chest. Unless I am playing with a friend or someone I know is friendly, I treat everyone as hostile, I leave unarmed people alone, unless they are heading straight for a weapon. It would be cool to see some aspects added into the game that would promote teamwork, maybe generating electricity, or the ability for people to specialize and build things, etc etc "insert cool idea here". That could help with the random PVP but it is never going to go away.

Realistic expectations my friend. One has to understand the nature of the game and adapt or move on. This is a survival scenario where anything goes. The way i see it this is the core of the game and if you change it you might as well change the name to Hearts and Flowers Z. Open PvP is not for everyone. Myself im not cutthroat but i sure as hell enjoy the risk/reward thrill that this game provides

Hey Dreygar. Our thoughts are aligned on that f not partially anyway. I am part of a very small group of friends who love and hate the game all the same. And still play it loads, It is nice to switch between solo play and group play tho. I think you should try grouping up for a bit. Ive done plenty of both and enjoy them in different ways. If your interested PM me and ill share you our ventrillo info then we can bullshit all the same and survive together in chernarus.

• Like 1

perhaps being more patient and more situational awareness is needed. I have a "hold my ground and own it" strategy, and when I move its to cover as fast as possible. Zig zag if you're worried about being shot, but shooting at range in this game isnt easy so, make it hard for em.

Again, let go of your attachment... that rusty old gun and warm soda precious to you? You're in a wasteland, dont expect a gold plated AK and Land Rover! Learn from your mistakes and you will find yourself dishing out the pain sooner or later. Don't take it personal, its a video game, you have infinite lives

Edited by DR@GON

It happens. As far as the part where you always run into someone that shoots you, that's partly on you. If you log into a server with 2 other people on it, odds are all 3 of you are either at, or running toward the NW airfield. :) NW airfield, Electro, or Cherno. I was on a server that had 1 other player on it one night, was in Cherno, and saw a flare at the other end of the street that I didn't put there. I bailed into the woods but quick.

Dr@gon's post is the right way to play IMO. Always assume when you're moving that there's a guy in the bushes lining you up. Get concealed whenever possible, get to cover whenever possible. Never move in a straight line. Learn the advantages of Not Being Seen.

I wouldn't say that PVP is not necessary in the game, but in it's current state I think it's pretty pointless. There is NOTHING in the game worth shooting someone over. If you were capable of making your own little outpost then I'd say yes... shoot to kill. To just sit someplace, and wait for someone to come by just to shoot them? That's just moronic. I can't tell anyone how to play a game, everyone is going to play it differently... but I haven't and won't shoot anyone.

For those who say... "Don't die" "Don't get attached to your gear" ... well, thanks for your posts but they aren't needed. The obvious thing is to not die, so I can do without that... and the whole purpose of this game is to collect better and better stuff to help you survive. Invest hours upon hours of doing so just to have someone take that all away (and he probably already had what I had, if not more) just because? Isn't there some better game they could go play that specializes in that sorta thing? Just because the feature is there doesn't mean we have to use it. I can see if I had a helicopter and was with a group, and another group REALLY wanted that helicopter... and a firefight ensued... but this? Nah.. just stupidity at its finest.

• Like 1

First,

The concept of this game is simply amazing. I love the idea of survival and with the addition of Zombies. I, like many others, purchased Arma 2 to play this game specifically and there are a few issues that is probably going to turn me off to this game.

1. The Zombies. Why do zombies climb ladders, swim, etc? Rocket calls them "infected" but the game calls them "zombies" so... I'll call them zombies too. Either or, it's silly. Also, if you're in the water and you just let the zombie approach. The zombie will actually stand on the water and begin attacking you. The only ways to avoid zombies is to hop in a pine tree or run through a barn and escape out the other side. Kind of silly.

2. Douchebags. This has been touched on many times i've seen... but seriously. What does one get from just killing another player, aside from their loot? Oh... that's right, the loot! Lame. It's not that hard to find your own stuff, and if that's your idea of fun to just shoot other people then you're pretty pathetic. I've been shot with nothing, and I've been shot after days of collecting things to survive. All I wanted to do was attempt to find a larger backpack so I can better thrive in the wild.

3. I attempt to join the least populated servers so I can avoid most of the nuisances but no matter where you go it always seems to follow. Starting over repeatedly isn't so bad in the beginning when you're learning the ropes but the more you learn/gather... sure.. it makes it easier because you have more knowledge of what to do but in the end... what is the point? Some lame hacker is going to transport you somewhere and everyone is going to kill one another, or some douchebag is going to kill you for your axe and flashlight.

I might give this one more go... but after days of playing I'm just tired of having to restart over and over again. The element of the human factor can make things tense, but people know that this is only a game so that factor is stupid to even consider. I just don't see how this game will ever progress unless it fixes the PVP.

Learn to use tents and create your own hidden caches.

perhaps being more patient and more situational awareness is needed. I have a "hold my ground and own it" strategy, and when I move its to cover as fast as possible. Zig zag if you're worried about being shot, but shooting at range in this game isnt easy so, make it hard for em.

Again, let go of your attachment... that rusty old gun and warm soda precious to you? You're in a wasteland, dont expect a gold plated AK and Land Rover! Learn from your mistakes and you will find yourself dishing out the pain sooner or later. Don't take it personal, its a video game, you have infinite lives

Yes, I realize it's a game. Yes, I realize you have infinite lives. I also realize it's pretty easy to reobtain things. The repetitiveness is what gets tiring. Where is the replay value in that? I'd like to see some replay value in this game, is all. When you've got all the stuff you need, there needs to be something more to obtain to keep you interested other than... hmmm, bored, might as well shoot other people. The game has a little something, but not much, in repairing that huey or car or what ever other vehicle you find.

As mentioned, I'd like to see some additions like creating your own outpost or something... A "building" feature is definitely needed in a game such as this. Sure, it has that with the barbed wire and tank traps but they are ineffective for the most part. I hope the game is on the right track in those aspects... in the end there will always be stupid people. I'm not much of a PC Gamer, but I got this game because again I love the concept. For those player killers, maybe they sucked at Arma 2 so they come here instead? I don't know.

• Like 1

Learn to use tents and create your own hidden caches.

I do know how to use tents and I have the game pretty well figured out in my last couple days of playing it, with that said I haven't found a tent... and then the other thing is finding a good server because that tent will only last in that server... so.

• Like 1

Well, this isnt "simcity: zombieapocalypse" Rocket's concept for the game is more or less centered around PvP... ARMA's not designed to be a game where building things is ever gonna be the focus, getting it to work at all is a stretch for any developer, and will likely be clunky and buggy no matter what.

Perhaps you'll get your wish and there will be a non-PvP server setting, but I highly doubt it based on thing's Rocket has said himself

Yeah as a noob and I'm one. It can get furstrating but it's all about survival in the DayZ world. I find it very realistic in that everyone is thinking "can I trust this person?" Kinda of like in the 1st movie the thing not the crappy remake where you don't know who to trust. Every animal's 1st instincts is to survive how each one goes about that is different, that's why there's bad people and good people in the world. Although it can get furstrating it's called survival and if there's only one can of food left whatcha gonna do?

Edited by MissionMaximus