dgeesio

if this is the alpha wtf will the beta be like ?

well i know its ALPHA guys :P but if it gets worse and worse with each patch what the fook will the beta be like ?

dont want to be negative but with each patch it actually seems to be getting worse :(

weve just waited nearly two weeks or close for graphics bug fix and after installing the so called fix its actually worse ! :rolleyes:

this is not the only issue either. what kinda dumbfounds me about this is the game worked fine up until 1.7.1.5 there hasnt been that many graphical changes so really it shouldnt be that hard to grasp what has broken the current code.

also how the hell could you not see these glitches ? it takes all of minutes to see that they are still there yet it wasnt noticed by the dev team :( .

i do hope you can get this sorted asap but at the moment its not great and the graphical bugs are making the game a bit of a joke. each patch you dont fix it makes it even more annoying and worse for each player.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

Edited by hekkatonchires
  • Like 3

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

so it must be us who are failing at the software side with the glitches :rolleyes: sorry for being a idiot . anyone who has a graphical glitch we are idiots . its been confirmed :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Coders are usually anti-social assholes who think they are right about everything.

It is true, look it up.

Also, what BETA? You are fooling yourself if you think this will ever be out of ALPHA.

The BETA will generally be more stable and consistent than ALPHA. In fact, by definition and the procedures of development that's exactly what has to happen. If Rocket continues to develop like it's in Alpha... then it'll just be Alpha still and it will not have moved to Beta. Alpha -> Beta isn't just a name change taken lightly. When the declaration of Beta is made, development procedures change.

Your inability to process basic logic regarding this is astounding (Google is a powerful resource, my friend!).

You may want to read up on the basics of the development process so you don't make such assine statements in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle

Just read the description for "Alpha" and "Beta". I feel like you think Alpha/Beta are just arbitrary names that indicate "LOL, A BIT CLOSER TO RELEASE DATE NOW! ^_^". Read, learn, and enjoy the power of logic and reason that I hath bestowed upon thee. ONWARD, my son!

so it must be us who are failing at the software side with the glitches :rolleyes: sorry for being a idiot . anyone who has a graphical glitch we are idiots . its been confirmed :rolleyes:

Does that mean I'm not an idiot? I only got the graphic glitch once. Haven't seen it since.

The BETA will generally be more stable and consistent than ALPHA. In fact, by definition and the procedures of development that's exactly what has to happen. If Rocket continues to develop like it's in Alpha... then it'll just be Alpha still and it will not have moved to Beta. Alpha -> Beta isn't just a name change taken lightly. When the declaration of Beta is made, development procedures change.

Your inability to process basic logic regarding this is astounding (Google is a powerful resource, my friend!).

You may want to read up on the basics of the development process so you don't make such assine statements in the future.

http://en.wikipedia....ease_life_cycle

Just read the description for "Alpha" and "Beta". I feel like you think Alpha/Beta are just arbitrary names that indicate "LOL, A BIT CLOSER TO RELEASE DATE NOW! ^_^". Read, learn, and enjoy the power of logic and reason that I hath bestowed upon thee. ONWARD, my son!

lol i understand how it works i currently test alot of games from early stages upto finish alpha beta whatever.

im not on about free either . using ALPHA or BETA is the new get out clause. this is why you see alot of games devs using it now so openly.

In Alpha, the focus is all on adding new features, regardless of stability, meaning they add more features quickly. When Beta is announced, the focus will veer towards fixing all the bugs Alpha made to stabilize the game while releasing new content that won't suddenly shite all over your computer at the cost of amount of times they'll be releasing.

That's the difference between them.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

http://dolancomics.com/displayimage.php?pid=71&fullsize=1

I didn't confirm or infirm anything mate.

I'm no coder nor programmer, and thus i can just appreciate very approximetaly the amount of work people put in developping this mod. What i appreciate is the ability they provide us to play it for free, even in an alpha stage.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Moreover if it's a zombie one, haha.

That's what alphas are for, deploying alot of updates with content so we can test the content, and then we report the issues we have with the added content and they fix it, derp.

I'm not sure when you started playing mate, I've personally started about 5 months ago or so.

Soon as I started playing I recognised that this is alpha, but almost each patch was an improvement or contained an improvement on critical elements. Sometimes these patches broke a fundamental - eg. the patch that caused zombie aggro 100% of the time regardless of night/day, distance, noise etc.

That was resolved within the week, with a hotfix. The following patches resolved other minor issues follow up. But each patch includes fixes.

You have to keep in mind that this is a mod based off the ARMA 2 engine, which is practically 3-4 years old. What Rocket and his team want to do is create a sandbox game as a mod on a retail game which was not developed for simplicity, idiots, or common users. It was created for the military as a milsim with the ability for further modding to create addons as real world evolves. DayZ is not going to be able to mod the game perfectly, there will be problems that mean loot disapear, females can't wear camo/ghillies or people spawn in the ocean because of an attempt to do this. Most of the irresolvable issues cannot be fixed because it is base coded within the original game not to be developed to do that. Without going in and essentially re-writing the ARMA 2 engine, Rocket and team do the best possible job and give us an idea of what we can expect when they do go stand-alone (ie: rewrite the engine to stand alone DayZ) essentially creating the game they want and the experience I fully expect to be flawless.

How do I know this? Communication from the dev team and Rocket is outstanding. Bohemia Interactive concentrate solely on their PC market and not consoles, this will ensure a flawless experience and not a crappy console port like the majority of games being released lately (tried Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier lately? the worst console port with fundamentlly broken compatability and network issues, a month later from release and the majority of people who purchased it cannot play it, only now is a patch being release - and do you expect this single patch to resolve the issues or perhaps create more).

Rocket created this in his spare time, it is obviously a labour of love he enjoyed - whether it be zombies or survivalism. If you create something you love, it will be flawless depending on effort. And from what I can see he is putting alot of effort in and receiving very little praise from an entitled community who want a perfect zombie survival game for the low price of $30. Not to mention the server hosting costs a fotune but praise to them as well.

The beta, I fully expect to be more polished and refined than the majority of PC retail games released of late by console focused developers. Period.

Perhaps I'm up myself and a Rocket fanboy. But when you have so much respect for a game development that can turn ARMA 2 into such an immersive experience just as a mod...great things can and will happen come stand-alone.

In summary, Rocket and team, thankyou and I know retail will be great. Server hosts, thankyou. QQ'ers, go away and doubters stop doubting.

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

http://dolancomics.c...d=71&fullsize=1

I didn't confirm or infirm anything mate.

I'm no coder nor programmer, and thus i can just appreciate very approximetaly the amount of work people put in developping this mod. What i appreciate is the ability they provide us to play it for free, even in an alpha stage.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Moreover if it's a zombie one, haha.

you did suggest it by the very quote you added :rolleyes:

no one is doubting people are trying to develop this mod but how can such a glaring obviously bug not be fixed ? the very fact that they confirm it is fixed and it isnt is what makes it even more annoying becuase anyone can confirm its not fixed in a few minutes and its been close to 2 weeks. so you telling me in two weeks of trying to fix this very bug they havent noticed that it doesnt work ? you dont need to be a coder to know it doesnt work its simple and blatantly obvious it doesnt.

not having a go at you i just dont get how a new patch can be released and it doesnt even work. its actually made it worse for me and others. that takes some doing . :lol:

also how can you test the game properly if you cant even see in the most important places in the game ?

this is why it needs to be fixed before anything else in game.

Edited by dgeesio

lol i understand how it works i currently test alot of games from early stages upto finish alpha beta whatever.

And I'm a developer ;) So understandably I will come to the defense of Rocket when I feel he's unfairly being harped on.

im not on about free either . using ALPHA or BETA is the new get out clause. this is why you see alot of games devs using it now so openly.

I hadn't mentioned anything about cost, and I don't think you originally did either. Could you clarify the whole 'free' thing? (I'm not trying to be facetious. Serious question.)

I would argue that the Alpha/Beta "get out" is more a product of the massive spike in indie game development by just a handful, or sometimes one, person. Such small independent dev teams really can't follow a dev studio schedule and wait until everything is fully polished. The developer(s) have a lot better chance of gauging support (and getting amped up to code more if it's well received) and also getting a lot of ideas/feedback beyond their own. Whereas the past the public would never even SEE a game in this stage of development, it's now commonplace for indie devs. Because, well, it works and it's one of the few realistic approaches to developing something like this with the limited resources at Rocket's disposal.

Minecraft kind of paved the way with the first big successful indie development of this type of development plan. Their Alpha was riddled with bugs, and their Beta had its problems too. If it were developed by a game studio, you wouldn't have seen Minecraft until late beta or initial 1.0 public release. If DayZ started off as a standalone backed by BE, it still wouldn't even be out for public consumption right now. That's the pro/con to the indie development cycle. You get to see the game and shape the game quicker, but it's going to kick you in the dick a LOT with bugs. The very fact that people are whining so hard about alpha bugs/etc. is actually a testament to how much people love and want to play DayZ. If no one cared and was silent about it, that means people just really didn't enjoy the game anyway and it was no big deal if they couldn't play it.

Beta will be better. I even remember a post from Rocket where he said if he botches a Beta build with something catastrophic, you have every right to scream at him. The rules are different in Beta. Ease up, enjoy the testing phase. Things will get better, and I still love you. <3

100% without fail if someone opens their post with "I know it's Alpha" the content of that actual post is guaranteed to demonstrate the fact that they actually have no fucking idea what the fuck that means.

Sometimes things get worse before they get better.

That's part of what it means to be in Alpha.

Please, everyone, I beg of you, if you're going to start your post claiming to "know" something, try to fucking know that thing or your thread is going to turn into a giant shitfest instantly.

Good day.

• Like 3

so if you disagree it isnt valid ?

who agrees that the graphical bugs should of been fixed week or two weeks ago ?

is that not a priority fix ?

im not talking bs here its a genuine question. fanboys will deploy to wash it out but the simple fact is a quite simple bug fix hasnt been done. forget all the alpha beta shit . there hasnt been that many changes since the bug wasnt there. it was fine 1.7.1.5 now it isnt.

Do I *feel* that it should have been fixed earlier? Perhaps. But my feelings don't take into account the reality of DayZ's development. I don't know the codebase and what time he has available for the project. Remember, this guy is getting $0 in from all of this and won't see anything until DayZ standalone. Combined with the Alpha state, that means to me that nothing is "owed" and it's not on him to provide us with timely fixes beyond what he can provide in the time he devotes to DayZ.

In Alpha. he works as he works and we're volunteering our time to test because we enjoy it. Delaying fixes arbitrarily won't help DayZ, but I somehow doubt that's the case here. Once he's accepting our money, then you have the right to start demanding explanations for delays. A lot of people seem to treat Alpha as merely a word and still expect a mostly bug-free and rapid-fix product. It's insanity to me.

For all I care, Rocket could just flip us all the bird tomorrow and say The Hive is going down for a week to fix something and I would say NONE of us have any justified reason to be legitimately upset at him. The truth is, people would RAGE the hell out and *demand* explanations and in-game compensations! The public at large astounds me when it comes to a feeling of self-entitlement; and i don't mean just limited to gaming.

• Like 1

so if you disagree it isnt valid ?

who agrees that the graphical bugs should of been fixed week or two weeks ago ?

is that not a priority fix ?

im not talking bs here its a genuine question. fanboys will deploy to wash it out but the simple fact is a quite simple bug fix hasnt been done. forget all the alpha beta shit . there hasnt been that many changes since the bug wasnt there. it was fine 1.7.1.5 now it isnt.

What you are talking about is completely self-evident, and an obvious fact. Where is your point ?

What you can't seem to understant is that complaining about bugs won't make them disappear. People fixing this on their free time may have other things to do, and are note devoted to debugging 24/7. You're not facing a goddamn company, with a bunch of guys paid for sitting 9 hours a day in front of their screens to improve the mod.

I don't know where Rocket spends his days to make a living right now, it seems he was working before on mutliplayer features at Bohemia's, now his position certainly evolved and i guess he's still having approximately the same schedules, at Bohemia's HQ somewhere in Praha. If i'd knew, i'd certainly pay him a pint or two of a nice czech beer. Working on game development all the day, and keep on doing it on your spare time can be quite tiring, or even tiresome.

The fact is that a MOD is rarely developped by companies, it is MADE by passionate people on the time they can afford to devote to a gaming project. So why the fuck keep on bitching about it ?

If the present state of the mod isn't good enough for you to have some nice time, wait for another updates. If it isn't good then, play another fucking game.

Interesting. With a game engine 3-4 years old, there should be less problems because it's been thoroughly tested... But I do of course get that shit can happen when you tweak the engine and add lots of stuff that wasn't really intended for it.

Edited by kebman

What you are talking about is completely self-evident, and an obvious fact. Where is your point ?

What you can't seem to understant is that complaining about bugs won't make them disappear. People fixing this on their free time may have other things to do, and are note devoted to debugging 24/7. You're not facing a goddamn company, with a bunch of guys paid for sitting 9 hours a day in front of their screens to improve the mod.

I don't know where Rocket spends his days to make a living right now, it seems he was working before on mutliplayer features at Bohemia's, now his position certainly evolved and i guess he's still having approximately the same schedules, at Bohemia's HQ somewhere in Praha. If i'd knew, i'd certainly pay him a pint or two of a nice czech beer. Working on game development all the day, and keep on doing it on your spare time can be quite tiring, or even tiresome.

The fact is that a MOD is rarely developped by companies, it is MADE by passionate people on the time they can afford to devote to a gaming project. So why the fuck keep on bitching about it ?

If the present state of the mod isn't good enough for you to have some nice time, wait for another updates. If it isn't good then, play another fucking game.

what you cant seem to grasp is they arnt doing it for nothing ! why are you getting mad ? they are going to make millions off this and you are claiming they are doing it for free . you really think they are doing it for free ! yes we have access to the current alpha but we are going to have to pay for this.

doesnt matter who makes the mod . its the simple fact that a blatantly obvious bug hasnt been fixed. argue semantics over whatever bs you want get mad its as plain as day. a simple bug hasn't been fixed. the bug is also a very bad bug so it should of been priority . how can you test a game you cant even see ! seriously ?

the mod is good idea but bugs that are this bad effecting gameplay should be sorted before any other. then move on . not create other content and leave it in. its a basic. fix it please and let us test on.

Coders are usually anti-social assholes who think they are right about everything.

It is true, look it up.

Now does this count for people who are coding programs for a company , lets say, not games but insurance...

from my experience it is that programmers are generally nice people, some have short tempers but 90% of the ones i know are nice and actually party quite a bit, which i count as being social :)

I don't understand what the problem is here, an ALPHA is for adding new features and testing how things react. A BETA is generally for improving code, making it more stable and efficient.

In all honestly the ideal setup would be similar to one of a github development. There should be a trunk, stable, and unstable repository, but I doubt most people would be able to operate with this level of "complexity.: seeing people around the forums bitching about how an ALPHA is unstable is just ridiculous, honestly, you know how this stuff works, if you don't like it don't test it until it's proven to be stable enough for you.

If you don't like the direction the game is going, don't play it.

Complaining on the forums for the developers of the game to see will do nothing other than make you look like a jackass.

Before you come out with a "Why are you mad?" or something like that you have to realize that this is a mod for a game using another game that doesn't give them all the tools they need/want to create the "perfect" experience.

In all honesty I'm pretty sure everyone that's been playing arma/dayz are happy enough with how it is right now since it's a FREE mod(at the moment) for an already existing game. We didn't even have to make an account for some weird alpha/beta public test bs anyways!

If you don't like the direction the game is going, don't play it.

Complaining on the forums for the developers of the game to see will do nothing other than make you look like a jackass.

Before you come out with a "Why are you mad?" or something like that you have to realize that this is a mod for a game using another game that doesn't give them all the tools they need/want to create the "perfect" experience.

In all honesty I'm pretty sure everyone that's been playing arma/dayz are happy enough with how it is right now since it's a FREE mod(at the moment) for an already existing game. We didn't even have to make an account for some weird alpha/beta public test bs anyways!

yet again i do like the mod i love it in fact but what i dont agree with is a simple bug hasnt been fixed and could of . is that so hard to grasp. its a public forum so fanboys or people who just wanna grief will always do so and this doesnt bother me what does bother me is basic blinding bugs that a dev team cant seem to notice yet i noticed in one minute play time. regardless of alpha beta or whatever its not rocket science.