Sign in to follow this  
DayZPvP.com

How the Places in Chernarus Got Their Names

Have you ever been lost in Chernarus and stumbled across a street sign or new town and wondered what the name means? I have. For those that don't know, most of Chernarus is based off of parts of the Czech Republic, using real-world data. The size in-game is 225 square kilometers (now you know why it takes FOREVER to walk somewhere). The landscape consists of 50 villages, towns, and cities and there are over 1 million 3D objects in the game. Loading screens between zones: zero.

In the real Cherno there is a river where the ocean is in game. Some of the map looks very familiar. Linked on DayZPvP.com is a very good, but very long video. I have cued the video to the part where he talks about the river. If you are as interested in geography and culture as I am (even fake culture) then it is worth a look. If you only want to find out what the names in Chernorus mean, click here.

The people of the fictional East Europe country are said to be part Chernarus (their own ethnicity) and part Russian. With the mighty bear of the Soviet state to the north of them, the Chernarussians are heavily influenced by the former Soviet state, but never lost their independence. Duke Kozlov was one of the main founders and he built himself a castle which is now known as Devils Castle. The other two castle sites are Rob meaning "horn" and Zub meaning "tooth".

The most geologically interesting are is the north east where an ancient glacier carved the land into the area known as Blunt Rocks. The nearby Black Forest is very wild and untamed, and local legends tell of a "sasquatch" type of beast that roams that part of the country side. I swear I saw one before! He was very hairy and shaggy, and he was carrying an AS-50 on his back!

Click here to read the full article and see the list of names

Edited by DayZPvP.com
  • Like 3

So, the list has only one name translated - Chernogorsk. And it is translated inaccurately.

Chernogorsk means 'the city of a black mountain'.

Elektrozavodsk - Electric factory

Berezino - Birch town

Zelenogorsk - city of a green mountain

Krasnostav - Krasno means red, stav means nothing, or it could be related to an old word 'ставка' - headquarters. So red headquarters it is.

I can translate others if anyone interested.

Edited by metal
  • Like 2

The article even has friendly links to get an new auto insurance policy or pre-purchase guild wars 2. One stop shopping.

Been reading up on the region. Sounds chill, lots of pubs or so it seems.

Rocket and team should offer a sweepstakes trip there as part of the stand-alone push.

If I go there though, and see one of those myth busters looking motherfuckers limping towards me fool is going to catch capz. :P

The article even has friendly links to get an new auto insurance policy or pre-purchase guild wars 2. One stop shopping.

How else do you suggest I pay for my hosting? I certainly am not getting paid for the dozens of hours I put into my sites, some people are so ungrateful.

Edited by DayZPvP.com

So, the list has only one name translated - Chernogorsk. And it is translated inaccurately.

Chernogorsk means 'the city of a black mountain'.

Elektrozavodsk - Electric factory

Berezino - Birch town

Zelenogorsk - city of a green mountain

Krasnostav - Krasno means red, stav means nothing, or it could be related to an old word 'ставка' - headquarters. So red headquarters it is.

I can translate others if anyone interested.

There are a lot of translated names there, I am not sure why you don't see them. I had found something about Berenzino/Birch, but you have confirmed that. Going to add red headquarters too, thank you.

There are a lot of translated names there, I am not sure why you don't see them. I had found something about Berenzino/Birch, but you have confirmed that. Going to add red headquarters too, thank you.

Yeah you're right, there are a few more, I didn't read it very carefully.

Most names can't be translated literally because of how settlements are typically named, for example Chernogorsk contains words for 'black mountain' but the ending and the way in which words are connected suggest that it is a name of a city. I will not put something like 'a city of...' at every line, I'll just use a word from which a settlement name is derived.

Kamenka - stone, rock (kamen', камень)

Komarovo - mosquito (komar, комар)

Nizhnoye - lower (not 'underwear' as your article states, lol)

Prigorodki - suburb

Bor - pine forest (it could be boron as well but pine forest makes more sense imo)

Drozhino - yeast (drozhi, дрожжи)

Dubrovka - oak (dub, дуб)

Grishino - Grisha - diminutive male name, Russian version of Gregory

Gvozdno - most probably derived from gvozd' (гвоздь) - nail. Seems like non Russian name but from some other Slavic language.

Kozlovka - I don't know about Duke Kozlov, it makes sense because Kozlov is common last name. Derived from word 'kozel' - goat.

Lopatino - shovel (lopata, лопата)

Mogilevka - grave (mogila, могила)

Msta - probably from mest' (месть) - vengeance.

Myshkino - mouse (mysh, мышь)

Nadezhdino - hope (nadezhda, надежда), there is also female name Nadezhda, literally meaning Hope.

Orlovets - eagle (orel, орёл)

Olsha - probably from ольха (olkha) - alder

Petrovka - male name Peter

Pogorevka - one who lost his house to fire

Pustochka - wasteland (pustosh, пустошь)

Rogovo - horn (rog, рог)

Sosnovka - pine (sosna, сосна)

Balota - probably from 'boloto' - swamp

I read a book the other day by Alan Furst, called Dark Star. It is part of a series about espionage before/during/after WWII. Anyway, near the end of the book the main character is traveling and he drives through some of the areas in Chernarus. Khelm is one of the places he passes through.

Most names can't be translated literally because of how settlements are typically named, for example Chernogorsk contains words for 'black mountain' but the ending and the way in which words are connected suggest that it is a name of a city. I will not put something like 'a city of...' at every line, I'll just use a word from which a settlement name is derived.

Some great ones here. I only added the ones that make sense with the place like "suburb" for Prigordky and "oak" for Dubrovka. Leaving out a few until I can find what they mean in relation to the place. For example I added "grave" for Moglevka because I am pretty sure there are graves there, but I can't see the connection between "shovel" and Lopatino (I have to go there, maybe it looks dug out with a shovel.

Keep the names coming in!

Also, the part about Duke Kozlov I got right from the BIS wiki.

Some great ones here. I only added the ones that make sense with the place like "suburb" for Prigordky and "oak" for Dubrovka. Leaving out a few until I can find what they mean in relation to the place. For example I added "grave" for Moglevka because I am pretty sure there are graves there, but I can't see the connection between "shovel" and Lopatino (I have to go there, maybe it looks dug out with a shovel.

Well, village names do not always make sense in Russia. As for Lopatino, it could be named after WWII hero Pyotr Lopatin, or someone else bearing the same name. Wikipedia knows 14 people with this last name. There are also 25 places called Lopatino on Wikipedia.

Well, village names do not always make sense in Russia. As for Lopatino, it could be named after WWII hero Pyotr Lopatin, or someone else bearing the same name. Wikipedia knows 14 people with this last name. There are also 25 places called Lopatino on Wikipedia.

Pyotr Lopatin seems like a possible answer so I will just put "might be for Pyotr Lopatin". Thanks for the help man, I love the Russian culture and history. If any other meanings come to mind, let me know.