hotcrossbun

Tents should despawn on death.

Apologies if this has shown up before. I will not go to deep into the idea that this game forces one into pvp as it has been discussed already. One thing i would say however is I believe this game relies upon allowing you to create a playstyle and experience and right now, the game does exactly what it tries not to and dictates very strongly that you should pvp and kill other players on site.

now to the main point which revolves around making survival trickier.

I would like to see a tent despawn after the user dies with whatever items are in it disapearing. One fundamental flaw of this game is that once you have items, it is so easy to find more at a very quick pace. You then transfer them all to a tent. Now whenever I die it takes me a 5 minute run to my tent in order for me to get all my gear back and then I am forced back to player hunting. The way I see it, tents should be linked to a life. West forest is just flooded with them to the point where I spot 20 tents just running randomly for 15-20 minutes. If a tent despawned this means that tents become temporary storage units linked to one survival attempt rather than them becoming more like a stash. While I admit it is tough for peoples friends, it would make tents a more valuable commodity as everyone would require his own in this case as well. While it is hard to link this to real life as you cannot come back to life the point is if we assume 1 account = 1 player, then a new attempt from that player should not experience the benefits of previous attempts. That is one of the things that this game relies on in my opinion, the fact that there is such a harsh penalty thus making people think twice about how they act. when you have the option to instantly regear however it is a minor inconvenience so your openess to dying shoots up.

Not only this but the server becomes flooded with strong items to the point where every single run into cherno or elektro results in sniper fire coming in from the hill. NV and thermal scopes etc, should be a reward for staying alive for a long time, searching the whole map and playing well. They should also reward you accordingly. Now however, every person around has a NV and thermal scope meaning the one guy who found the actual spawn and didnt just troll the woods for a tent is going to get minimal reward for the effort he used.

TL;dr items too easy to acquire, new spawns should not benefit from old ones, therefore tents should despawn when whoever planted it dies.

• Like 4

Nah,

People will just buy a new CD for their Clan/guild and put aload of tents down and never log back in on that character. Sorted.

• Like 2

do you want to know why this wont work?

becouse if there is a fire fight for a camp and the attacks win, whats the point if theres no gear they want becouse it will despawn

People realy need to think these threads through!!!!

Also, the whole reason of having a camp is to 'prepair' for death, while i understand that this means (in the current game) a big part of the game can be avoided, shouldn't it be up to the player him/her self on whether they want to do this to themselves. It doesn't hurt any other player, in fact, it leaves more loot for them around the beach, because nobody with a tent will go and look for any...

Do i think that there should still be a penalty for dieing that can't be circumvented like 'loot' basically can, YES! there should be all sorts of progression related to the character's skillsets that can't be so easily replaced. So instead of blocking off something that is cool in the game, try and find other ways to accomplish the goals...

There is a point in both side.

Normally, if you were on a group, and you died, normally your group would use your stuff then, or the new member of the group would get it (you rejoining them).

But as for me, I dont want to ruin my play by storing items like this was a world of warcraft, if I put up tent, I will only use it during that life time, if I died, I would leave it there and forget it, only loot if I cross it by change, just to make it interesting. Though I havent yet found server to call home, so not my problem anyways.

In the end, having everything, and not having to be so worried if you die, easily gets you bored.

Also, the whole reason of having a camp is to 'prepair' for death, while i understand that this means (in the current game) a big part of the game can be avoided, shouldn't it be up to the player him/her self on whether they want to do this to themselves. It doesn't hurt any other player, in fact, it leaves more loot for them around the beach, because nobody with a tent will go and look for any...

It's called hoarding. What you just said is the opposite of how the game works. Storing loot in your tent makes further searches for loot less risky.

And I'm not about this whole "one group wants to nuke whoever they want with a button press...the other group wants to not get nuked with a button press...let's compromise and let them nuke HALF of the other players with a button press" BS fake diplomatic compromise nonsense. Some game mechanics are game-breaking and other game mechanics are not. The game-breaking game mechanics need to be removed or mitigated in such a way that they don't affect the nature of the game. Unfortunately, storage is one of those game-breaking mechanics and the only way it seems possible to fix it is to have tents tagged to players (should be easy since you can't pick them back up) and despawn on death.

In fact, tents despawning on death would increase the risk of the game relative to how long you've been playing. The more loot you hoard, the more loot you lose when you die. Currently it's the opposite. And everyone quietly knows that this is exactly what is going on.

Okay, I'm going to ask God to make my home and all my belongings disappear when I die.

1. Tents should have a recent access date tag and by whom.

2. Tents should be deleted upon death if last accessed only by that person in the last X days.

Edited by Sane Minds
  • Like 1

This is nuts, what's the point of placing a tent if they can't venture off and come back over a period of time? If it gets looted then that's their problem. The purpose of a tent is to either increase storage and set up a permanent camp, or to store items, leave, and come back - regardless if they die.

I've played for quite a long time, but never really felt the need to set up a tent.

I've had some nice military gear, and sometimes even left good gear behind when I could have just set up a tent and store it there.

I don't feel I need the tents for myself. Well, not now atleast, the game is so unstable so it wouldn't be fun to realize your camp was restarted to zero. (that's how I feel)

I still don't think that the ppl who set up camps and hoard stuff are breaking this game.

They still need to find and loot everything they set in their tents.

If they die, why not let them get back to their tents? Yeah, it might be easy to get up&running again, but eventually someone else will find your nice little boy-scout camp...

And the other thing was made quite clear here too:

What would be the point in firefights for the ownership of a tent camp?

How about large locked containers? Like with combination locks. If we could make our own combination we could save stuff for only ourselves or people we give the password to.

Apologies if this has shown up before. I will not go to deep into the idea that this game forces one into pvp as it has been discussed already. One thing i would say however is I believe this game relies upon allowing you to create a playstyle and experience and right now, the game does exactly what it tries not to and dictates very strongly that you should pvp and kill other players on site.

now to the main point which revolves around making survival trickier.

I would like to see a tent despawn after the user dies with whatever items are in it disapearing. One fundamental flaw of this game is that once you have items, it is so easy to find more at a very quick pace. You then transfer them all to a tent. Now whenever I die it takes me a 5 minute run to my tent in order for me to get all my gear back and then I am forced back to player hunting. The way I see it, tents should be linked to a life. West forest is just flooded with them to the point where I spot 20 tents just running randomly for 15-20 minutes. If a tent despawned this means that tents become temporary storage units linked to one survival attempt rather than them becoming more like a stash. While I admit it is tough for peoples friends, it would make tents a more valuable commodity as everyone would require his own in this case as well. While it is hard to link this to real life as you cannot come back to life the point is if we assume 1 account = 1 player, then a new attempt from that player should not experience the benefits of previous attempts. That is one of the things that this game relies on in my opinion, the fact that there is such a harsh penalty thus making people think twice about how they act. when you have the option to instantly regear however it is a minor inconvenience so your openess to dying shoots up.

Not only this but the server becomes flooded with strong items to the point where every single run into cherno or elektro results in sniper fire coming in from the hill. NV and thermal scopes etc, should be a reward for staying alive for a long time, searching the whole map and playing well. They should also reward you accordingly. Now however, every person around has a NV and thermal scope meaning the one guy who found the actual spawn and didnt just troll the woods for a tent is going to get minimal reward for the effort he used.

TL;dr items too easy to acquire, new spawns should not benefit from old ones, therefore tents should despawn when whoever planted it dies.

Like. Would clean up duping by a lot.

While I agree that the whole "Store items, die, come to tent grab items, death was basically meaningless" is bad, this makes no sense. Just because they died doesn't mean that their loot shouldn't be up for grabs, like it really would be.

I still think the solution to all of this is on death you get a 24 hour ban from that server. It would at least make people have to work a lot harder to do this crap. Discouraging many and shrinking the population of those who do.

I like the idea because when your "avatar" dies, the next one you control doesn't know where that tent is so the tent should be gone. The same should go for vehicles as well. The reason why most people protest is because they're running around hoarding stuff (including me) and wouldn't like to lose that since the items are currently stored away "safely". The fact is, death now means "long run". If it actually mean that you would have to run around in Elektro/Cherno and dodge the snipers, while looting, would make death sting more than it does now. And it might make one of the many snipers realize how much of a bitch it is to not only avoid zombies and other looters in addition to the snipers when you try to get stuff in Elektro/Cherno and since they now have to work hard(er) for it - appreciate their equipment better.

• Like 1

To the TC, your tent is only 5 minutes far from spawn point? where it is like between cherno and elektro?

My tent take like 35 to 45 minute to get to WITH A MAP, so when i don't have map or compass, i search my tent, and i can search it for freaking long.

I agree that original owner should not have a chance to re-equip AS50+L85+NVG+RF+Ghillie+CoyoteBP+GPS+antibiotics in 10 minutes after his death. Solution - tent should relocate to random position on the map in 5 minutes after owner dies. Loot is loot, there should be a chance for anyone to find it, no mater if owner is dead or alive.

Sure,you can buy an extra character and make him to place tents. But you can buy an extra character and use his inventory and backpack to store your loot as well, so it's something that can't really be avoided.

• Like 2

I agree that original owner should not have a chance to re-equip AS50+L85+NVG+RF+Ghillie+CoyoteBP+GPS+antibiotics in 10 minutes after his death. Solution - tent should relocate to random position on the map in 5 minutes after owner dies. Loot is loot, there should be a chance for anyone to find it, no mater if owner is dead or alive.

This is a very good idea. The tent should still exist, but your character shouldn't just magically know where it is. Everyone has their opinions, but I like the idea of storing things in tents but only for your current character. As many people have already said, spawning and running to your tent from your last character and just grabbing everything from there isn't really surviving. Sure, someone could steal your shit, or you might die on the way to your tent, but again, that's just another inconvenience rather than a punishment for death.

Myself and a friend found a little camp of around 4 or 5 tents and a broken truck yesterday, somewhere in the woods not far from Kamenka... looted that shit, got myself an AS50, 2 GPS and some other stuff. There was plenty more there but we just didn't have enough room to carry it, so we flattened all the tents with a motorbike just for the fun of it. My point being, spawn, die, spawn, die spawn, die, repeat until you spawn in Kamenka (happens to me a lot, I hate that place), run about 10 minutes up the tree line on the edge of the map and then you're fully loaded again. Bit of a stupid place to put a camp as it was really easy to find (unless you're a noob and run straight to Cherno or Electro), but while it was there it would have been so easy for people to quickly gear up life after life... and say what you will, but that is NOT the point in Day Z.

I strongly agree.You have my beans!

Agree totally with the random tent respawn..... Firstly the whole game is about "Permadeath" therefore when you die in game you come back as a totally new person. You would have zero knowledge of your pre death life tent. However your tent would still exist after your death. So... the only way to keep things as real as poss, is to random move the tent as in fact it would still be there after your death but you would not know of it's location as a new survivor landing on the shore line..

• Like 1