Sign in to follow this  
mikey182

The SVD

I had one, got killed when I encountered 5 people at Stary, got 3 of them before they shot me with their L85A2 AWS (Which shouldn't exist).

As long as ghillied one-hit-kill snipers may roam free in DayZ, the L85A2 AWS shall continue to serve as one of the few means to fight them back efficiently.

Been playing the game for over a month. Haven't seen one yet and neither has anyone in my group.

Why shouldn't it exist?

It's overpowered, especially now when everyone dupes it, 3 of the 5 people I encountered had one while the other two had AS50's.

I found 10 SVD mags at a crash site inside an ammo crate, i didn't grab them; still unsure if i should have picked them up.

It's overpowered, especially now when everyone dupes it, 3 of the 5 people I encountered had one while the other two had AS50's.

It's supposed to be overpowered, this is a mil sim, not a game, it's not supposed to be balanced.

• Like 1

I swear this gun does not exist.

I have been playing for a weeks now and come across multiple crash sites.

Not one has had the SVD. Ive found numerous bizons and even 2 mags for it. Allsorts of other crap.

But not the SVD.

I have every gun in the game now stashed in a battle lorry with plenty of ammo.

But no SVD.

Does thing thing exist?

First, you can type without leaving spaces between sentences.

Second, SVD is not worth the deal, it's scope is a pain in the ass.

I found one in somebodies camp about half an hour ago. I had never seen one before that either.

the SVD sucks I've got one and the non-zeroing scope is terrible.

once the alt-F4ing is fixed I'm going back to using the m24

till then the As50 reigns supreme

First, you can type without leaving spaces between sentences.

Second, SVD is not worth the deal, it's scope is a pain in the ass.

Bullshit, it's far easier to estimate range with the PSO than any mildot scope and besides it's a lot clearer than mildot scopes. Lastly who needs greater magnification than 4x if maximum view range on basically every server isn't higher than 1500m, unless they're CoD/BF3 chumps that is who run around with 12x scopes in the tunnels on Operation Metro.

why would you want it, it's a crappy sniper ...

Play on veteran servers with no scroll ranging and if u don't have a rangefinder it's the best sniper there is in this game. You might not know how to aim with it but it is very accurate and the build in rangefinder is also very good. I bet you are one of the people who runs to his tent, takes his infinitely respawning AS50 and thinks hes a sniper god. Guess what you are not.

AS50 is absolutely a very awesome gun, no denying that. I would not take a SVD to go and destroy a vehicle..

Edited by Vipala

It's supposed to be overpowered, this is a mil sim, not a game, it's not supposed to be balanced.

Are you retarded or what? ArmA 2 is a military sim, DayZ is a mod thereof. The L85 has no place in the setting of this game, its frankly ridiculously that it's in it at all. Why would a British made rifle with expensive thermal/NV optics be found in a post-Soviet shithole after a zombie outbreak?

Same with the AS50, there's no need whatsoever for that rifle. It's the scrub gun for people who can't place shots effectively. It ought to be removed. These high-end military grade weapons detract from the feel of the game. It should be gritty, realistic and brutal. Not a surgical 1-hit-kill-nowhere-to-hide thermal/sniper battle.

• Like 1

I trained in the Shooting Range training mission for Arma 2: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14616

You only need to learn how to aim with non-zeroing weapons and, considering the fog of war starting at 1100~1200 meters up to 1600 there is no real need of zeroing weapons because a player only needs some practice with the low number of sniper rifles in DayZ.

Bullshit, it's far easier to estimate range with the PSO than any mildot scope and besides it's a lot clearer than mildot scopes. Lastly who needs greater magnification than 4x if maximum view range on basically every server isn't higher than 1500m, unless they're CoD/BF3 chumps that is who run around with 12x scopes in the tunnels on Operation Metro.

It's very easy to estimate range with regular mil-dots if you have 4th grade division skills. 1800/number of mildots for standing target, 900/mildots for crouching.

Higher magnification scopes make it much easier to line up targets, especially at 600m+.

Are you retarded or what? ArmA 2 is a military sim, DayZ is a mod thereof. The L85 has no place in the setting of this game, its frankly ridiculously that it's in it at all. Why would a British made rifle with expensive thermal/NV optics be found in a post-Soviet shithole after a zombie outbreak?

Same with the AS50, there's no need whatsoever for that rifle. It's the scrub gun for people who can't place shots effectively. It ought to be removed. These high-end military grade weapons detract from the feel of the game. It should be gritty, realistic and brutal. Not a surgical 1-hit-kill-nowhere-to-hide thermal/sniper battle.

DayZ is built off a mil sim and retains most of the simulation aspects. Have you ever played Arma 2? Chernarus is a warzone between NATO forces and Russian rebels.

The AS50 guarantees kills no matter what, as well as being a primarily anti material rifle. It is better and easier to use than most other guns, it's supposed to be.

People get too hung up on the idea of "balance". The world isn't balanced. This isn't CoD where every gun is more or less the same. Some guns are just objectively better. As soon as the duping and scripting goes away people won't have a problem with it because there won't be very many people with these weapons.

Which is next to meaningless in DayZ. If you can do mildot math in your head---and I would hope that most of us can---you can rangefind quickly with any mildot scope in the game.

Like I said, the real world advantages of an SVD don't exist in DayZ, except for its use in close-range engagements. Even that is nullified in most cases by the ability switch to a second primary with a few inputs.

...and hey, I like the SVD, I'm just talking about the mechanics of DayZ.

And IMO the majority of players do not know how to do mil dot calc on the fly. Maybe Arma2 vets can but the people that bought Arma 2 for DayZ will most likely not know how. Including me. So for a lot of people, the SVD will be an easier way to figure out the measurements.

1. Range finder

2. Guesstimate

3. Trial and correct

Three ways to find the range of a target. Also *4 makes the SVD the shittiest sniper rifle in the game. I would pick a CZ before it anyday, and would kill anyone weilding a SVD with that CZ.

They should buff the SVD alot. :/

1. Range finder

2. Guesstimate

3. Trial and correct

Three ways to find the range of a target. Also *4 makes the SVD the shittiest sniper rifle in the game. I would pick a CZ before it anyday, and would kill anyone weilding a SVD with that CZ.

They should buff the SVD alot. :/

I have a theory that the SVD rangefinder is slightly off. I think that to get the correct range in dayz you take the measured range and subtract 100m to get the correct range. It's just a theory though, and it needs testing.

Also, in the shooting range mission by murcielago, I found the SVD to be accurate to about 1100m.

I am very familiar with the PSO scopes. And due to the artifacting recently, and everyone avoiding military areas, I was able to farm the NWAF until I found the SVD (to kill the artifacting I would just change my 3d resolution when I saw artifacts). I took it to the NEAS and tested out the scope to see if arma got it right which it did. The giant chevron above the line is for engaging targets which are closer than 200 meters. The first chevron between the lines are zeroed at 200, the next 400, 600, 800, and finally 1000. Just like in real life. (tested it on the animals that spawn there.) I would actually pick this gun over the as50 because if your target isn't exactly at zerod range, you would have to guess how far to aim up or down. With the SVD the chevrons are like references so you could make an educated guess. So in my opinion the SVD is a very good find an it takes my preference over the as50 or the other snipers.

Except the bullet goes to the 200m chevron even at sub-200m distances, and the chevrons don't work very well past 400m (gotta aim at the bottom of the 400m chevron at 400m, and it gets even worse at longer distances).

With the AS50, it's very easy to estimate how high you have to aim to compensate, and if the target is standing, you can just zero to the nearest 100m and aim center mass.

I would take any sniper rifle over the SVD, except the DMR (hate the variable zoom/zeroing).