Inception.

The best sniper rifle in the game?

Personally, I prefer the DMR over any other sniper rifle, for various reasons:

1. The ammo is beyond easy to find, compared to Nato and SVD Dragonuv rounds.

2. It is the only sniper compatible with NVGs--this if not one of, it's THE main reason why it is better than the others.

3. You can fire it as fast as you can spam your mouse button. That way, you can get two or three shots off before your AS50 opposition can even get two off, let alone one.

4. It increases your skill as a marksman-- I was watching Sacriel42's latest video where it was him using an M24. It showed skill, accuracy and knowledge because it is not a one shot kill anywhere on the body, unlike the AS50.

I've used the AS50 at its max range, and I achieved two or three kills at that range. Hell of a shot, but without the one shot kill ability of the AS50, I couldn't have pulled it off. It was too easy, personally.

Of course, there are some cons to the DMR, such as:

1. No zeroing, which makes it harder if you don't know how to use the mildots.

Actually, that's the only con I could think of.

DISCLAIMER: I love the AS50. I love it almost as much as the DMR. If I'm running in the group one of us will ALWAYS have an AS50 for sniping, counter-sniping and to take out vehicles, such as a chopper.

What's your favourite sniper?

EDIT: Did I mention that the DMR is compatible with NVGs? ;D

EDIT #2: This is merely personal preference, people.

I am the designated marksman for both night and day, thus I run an AS50 for day and a DMR for night. Without a DMR when it's night, you're fucked. And don't gamma it up, people.That's just borderline cheating.

Also, if you master the DMR or any other non-one shot kill [except for the headshot]/not .50 cal, then you master pretty much every sniper.

EDIT: Gamma exploiting, really? They should fix that. Honestly people...

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 2

Enfield.

Didn't they reduce the damage on that now?

I currently use the Dragunov. I like looking like I just rose from a swamp.

I've only tried out the SVD and M107, though.

I've found a lot of AS50s but they were in filthy dupe camps, so I didn't take them.

I currently use the Dragunov. I like looking like I just rose from a swamp.

I've only tried out the SVD and M107, though.

I've found a lot of AS50s but they were in filthy dupe camps, so I didn't take them.

The SVD has a somewhat built in Rangefinder, does it not?

hit person once with DMR he will

A) log out

B ) run behind something, bandage then run away as your gun doesnt have consistency

C ) take the first bullet and not care

AS50 obviously shits all over it during the day, and during the night with gamma up you can see perfectly fine to where it doesnt matter.

and your point for fire as fast as you can click, yeah you need that because the shit gun isnt one hit kill. real snipers need 1 bullet then they move

edit: and with ammo duped out the ass and the log out before you use a full clip; who gives a shit about how rare the ammo is.

Edited by Buffjesus
  • Like 5

hit person once with DMR he will

A) log out

B ) run behind something, bandage then run away as your gun doesnt have consistency

C ) take the first bullet and not care

AS50 obviously shits all over it during the day, and during the night with gamma up you can see perfectly fine to where it doesnt matter.

and your point for fire as fast as you can click, yeah you need that because the shit gun isnt one hit kill. real snipers need 1 bullet then they move

It's not a shit gun. I've counter sniped those with AS50's with my DMR with no problem.

How would you know what a real sniper needs?

I like the SVD. It is very aesthetically pleasing, and the PSO scope is brilliant. Obviously the ammo rarity is an issue, however I only tend to open fire if it's a sure kill with 1 or 2 rounds. Second to the SVD I'd choose the AS50 due to the damage and zeroing ability.

It's not a shit gun. I've counter sniped those with AS50's with my DMR with no problem.

How would you know what a real sniper needs?

guess i should of worded it to how the rest of the world could understand

real snipers = players with good enough skill that they dont fuck up

AS50, much prefer my one bullet to kill someone rather than having to wait to see what happens. Day Z isn't somewhere where I like surprises as surprise often kill you.

Dude. As50 is the best for the alt f4 and log out kind. And if you are good like me. U can hit a target 1000m while running. Then you are a good sniper. And i no AS50 only noobs use it. No If you now how to fire that weapon like me. Dude i have 65 pvp klis and i am alive 10 days.

And lee enfield is also good to kil one man @ a range of 700m whit one bullit.

I perfer the AS50 over all.

By the numbers, the AS50 is better.

1. Ammo for the fifty caliber snipers is roughly the same frequency of that of the DMR when you account for the amount of ammo that you use. If you don't land a headshot, the DMR is a 3-4 shot kill meaning that every mag you find is 5-6 kills. According to DayZ database, the drop rate for DMR mags at any military zone is 3.96%, while the M107 mags are a 1%. But an M107 mag nets you TWICE as many kills per clip, again assuming that you aren't landing 100% headshots. And even for those of you thinking you're the best sniper in the world, tutting "well I ALWAYS headshot every time!", no, you don't. Beyond 500 meters it's impossible to guarantee a headshot just based on the slight passive sway of being prone, which by the way is often impossible because of grass. The effect is worse when crouched. Couple this with the fact that the DMR has no manual zero and I very much doubt that even asians can guarantee headshots every single time. Now, factor in that the 5-6 figure is even assuming that you LAND every shot. In a typical case, within 300m you can easily fire off 3 rounds and land a kill before your victim can react, but much further out than that and you won't be landing every single shot because of recoil and passive sway. Either you spam the trigger and hope you get lucky (likely missing a few shots) or you wait for recoil and passive sway to calm down so you can accurately land another shot. However, in the time you're waiting your target has discovered HOLY SHIT I'M BEING SHOT AT and is now taking serpentine evasive maneuvers which also reduces your chance to land a shot. I would estimate that even a good DMR marksman only gets 3-4 kills per mag when firing beyond 500m, versus the easy 10 that even a mediocre AS50 marksman can get using a rangefinder. Thus the M107 mags net between 3 and 4 times as many kills per mag, making the (Drop Rate):(Kills Gained Per Drop) ratio about equal, slightly in the AS50s favor when you factor in NATO rounds, which I ignored in this instance because that would be too much work. Either way, on ammo "abundance" versus efficiency, they're equal.

2. This is true, but only a true advantage if you're playing on a server with crosshairs disabled. On any server with crosshairs turned on, an AS50 user can simply use the green crosshairs to easily land shots out to 500m. Because of recoil and passive sway, the DMR also drops off at around that range, so again this is a situational bonus. Personally I always play with crosshairs turned on because many of the guns in this game are extremely broken when attempting to use the iron sights (M16 M203, I'm looking at you).

3. Rate of fire means nothing when you look at the timeline of how that fight would go. AS50 - First shot, the target died. DMR - First shot within 300m, the target is probably dead. Beyond that? Depending on the marksmans skill, the target is probably still alive and kicking. Increased rate of fire (aka, pulling your trigger faster) only makes you less accurate, and given that the AS50 is ALWAYS a one shot KO I would bet cashmoney that a graph on damage done (reduced by accuracy %) over time would show the AS50 in clear favor. The increased fire rate is only helpful, again, in closer range. And still, the AS50 will always land a kill on the first shot, so the best the DMR can do is be ON PAR with the AS50.

4. Does it really matter what your "skill" as a marksman is on a game that has shady-at-best hit recognition? Sure if this was a competitive shooter, I'd say this makes a difference and is definitely good practice. But this isn't a competitive shooter, and it never will be because of crippling bugs and a shit-tacular engine. It's like saying that your skill at riding an elevator is just amazing: granted there's a slight skill cap (figuring out how to push them buttons!), but random chance plays a much larger role. I'd reckon that even if you were the worlds best Arma 2 player, ping and the inherently shit engine would fuck you out of most of your skillfully gained headshots anyway. In addition, when is it tactically a wise decision to go with the "showing off" thing to do over the "probably much more stable and guaranteed" thing to do? There is no denying that the AS50 will more consistently net you kills because hey, even if you lag or the server derps or what have you and your headshot is detected as a body shot YOUR TARGET IS STILL DEAD.

Also, the AS50 has a dramatic advantage over the DMR when it comes to vehicles. One shot to the engine block of virtually any car with an AS50 loaded with NATO rounds will fireball it. Same goes for helicopters. I honestly take great comfort in the fact that if a helicopter flies overhead I'm at a great advantage over him because A) I have one of the few guns that can fight back against him and B) It's going to take him a lot longer to spot me that it is the other way around.

Our group keeps a large stockpile of both because both are good weapons, but at the end of the day the AS50 is definitely more consistent.

Edit:

B followed by ) turned into a badass smiley with shades so I'm not even mad.

Edited by DEOVONTAY MCSLANGA
  • Like 1

As fun as the DMR is to use at times, you have to be a good shot to effectively fight other snipers at distances of 800-1000m with it, They will generally disconnect or ALT+F4 as soon as they are getting shot at. I'm personally not skilled enough to kill an enemy sniper 800m away with a headshot to make sure he doesn't combat log, so I would rather go with an AS50 most of the time.

The DMR's NV-compatability is only a worthwhile advantage over the AS50's lack thereof if you play the game during its nighttime to begin with. Me and my friends play daytime 99% of the time, so it's more or less irrelevant to us.

• Like 1

AS50 is the most powerful. It's a one hit kill, along with being able to destroy a vehicle in one hit.

Fun Fact: Me and my sniper buddy back in the day of Combined Ops would pair up with AS50s. We were caught in a T 72 fight. We just started firing rounds into that tank, and it wasn't long before it BLEW up. Pretty damn amazing gun.

But I dunno... it seems like it shouldn't be in DayZ. Don't get me wrong, I love the gun, but think about it. You spend some time trying trying to fix up your vehicle, or maybe you're out there and you have been surviving for a long time only to be one hit killed by a bullet. It's that powerful, you can die from a bullet to the foot/leg/arm/hand ect... a round or two can blow up your wonderful vehicle and disable choppers in a few hits. I think that only hunting rifles should be a common sniper rifle since it's a country side with lots of animals. DMR and M14 AIM is fine though, M24, maybe, yeah. I'm just not too big on having a bunch of players with anti-material sniper rifles. I'm not whining, I'm just saying what I think. :)

By the numbers, the AS50 is better.

1. Ammo for the fifty caliber snipers is roughly the same frequency of that of the DMR when you account for the amount of ammo that you use. If you don't land a headshot, the DMR is a 3-4 shot kill meaning that every mag you find is 5-6 kills. According to DayZ database, the drop rate for DMR mags at any military zone is 3.96%, while the M107 mags are a 1%. But an M107 mag nets you TWICE as many kills per clip, again assuming that you aren't landing 100% headshots. And even for those of you thinking you're the best sniper in the world, tutting "well I ALWAYS headshot every time!", no, you don't. Beyond 500 meters it's impossible to guarantee a headshot just based on the slight passive sway of being prone, which by the way is often impossible because of grass. The effect is worse when crouched. Couple this with the fact that the DMR has no manual zero and I very much doubt that even asians can guarantee headshots every single time. Now, factor in that the 5-6 figure is even assuming that you LAND every shot. In a typical case, within 300m you can easily fire off 3 rounds and land a kill before your victim can react, but much further out than that and you won't be landing every single shot because of recoil and passive sway. Either you spam the trigger and hope you get lucky (likely missing a few shots) or you wait for recoil and passive sway to calm down so you can accurately land another shot. However, in the time you're waiting your target has discovered HOLY SHIT I'M BEING SHOT AT and is now taking serpentine evasive maneuvers which also reduces your chance to land a shot. I would estimate that even a good DMR marksman only gets 3-4 kills per mag when firing beyond 500m, versus the easy 10 that even a mediocre AS50 marksman can get using a rangefinder. Thus the M107 mags net between 3 and 4 times as many kills per mag, making the (Drop Rate):(Kills Gained Per Drop) ratio about equal, slightly in the AS50s favor when you factor in NATO rounds, which I ignored in this instance because that would be too much work. Either way, on ammo "abundance" versus efficiency, they're equal.

2. This is true, but only a true advantage if you're playing on a server with crosshairs disabled. On any server with crosshairs turned on, an AS50 user can simply use the green crosshairs to easily land shots out to 500m. Because of recoil and passive sway, the DMR also drops off at around that range, so again this is a situational bonus. Personally I always play with crosshairs turned on because many of the guns in this game are extremely broken when attempting to use the iron sights (M16 M203, I'm looking at you).

3. Rate of fire means nothing when you look at the timeline of how that fight would go. AS50 - First shot, the target died. DMR - First shot within 300m, the target is probably dead. Beyond that? Depending on the marksmans skill, the target is probably still alive and kicking. Increased rate of fire (aka, pulling your trigger faster) only makes you less accurate, and given that the AS50 is ALWAYS a one shot KO I would bet cashmoney that a graph on damage done (reduced by accuracy %) over time would show the AS50 in clear favor. The increased fire rate is only helpful, again, in closer range. And still, the AS50 will always land a kill on the first shot, so the best the DMR can do is be ON PAR with the AS50.

4. Does it really matter what your "skill" as a marksman is on a game that has shady-at-best hit recognition? Sure if this was a competitive shooter, I'd say this makes a difference and is definitely good practice. But this isn't a competitive shooter, and it never will be because of crippling bugs and a shit-tacular engine. It's like saying that your skill at riding an elevator is just amazing: granted there's a slight skill cap (figuring out how to push them buttons!), but random chance plays a much larger role. I'd reckon that even if you were the worlds best Arma 2 player, ping and the inherently shit engine would fuck you out of most of your skillfully gained headshots anyway. In addition, when is it tactically a wise decision to go with the "showing off" thing to do over the "probably much more stable and guaranteed" thing to do? There is no denying that the AS50 will more consistently net you kills because hey, even if you lag or the server derps or what have you and your headshot is detected as a body shot YOUR TARGET IS STILL DEAD.

Also, the AS50 has a dramatic advantage over the DMR when it comes to vehicles. One shot to the engine block of virtually any car with an AS50 loaded with NATO rounds will fireball it. Same goes for helicopters. I honestly take great comfort in the fact that if a helicopter flies overhead I'm at a great advantage over him because A) I have one of the few guns that can fight back against him and B) It's going to take him a lot longer to spot me that it is the other way around.

Our group keeps a large stockpile of both because both are good weapons, but at the end of the day the AS50 is definitely more consistent.

AS50 isn't compatible with NVGs xD

The SVD has a somewhat built in Rangefinder, does it not?

It does, but the problem is that the rangefinder is much more common than the SVD itself so statistically if you're farming you will find a rangefinder before the SVD. Also the SVD mags are incredibly rare. To top that off the SVD rangefinder does take considerable skill and patience to use. Watch a youtube video of someone using it, it takes time and patience to actually "laze" their distance.

I'd still get a giant boner if I found one though because dat camo. Our group has been stockpiling the ammo despite not having the gun itself for the inevitable day when we find it. It'll fuse onto my arm like Voltron and I'll take off like a rocket ship to defend the universe from things.

• Like 1

AS50 isn't compatible with NVGs xD

You can use your NVGs while holding it, you just lose the NVG effect when you scope in. Thus, you can use your GREEN CROSSHAIRS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN to aim very effectively to 500m or so, which I have found is coincidentally the range that the DMR starts to suck anyway. Ergo, they're about equal on a night server assuming you're playing with crosshairs on.

Didn't they reduce the damage on that now?

I know not which you speak of. I still get one shot'rs all the the time. Only people that can't aim complained about the "nerf."

Hmm some people didnt read the OP and realize that the question is relative even though the title doesn't seem so.

AS50 is the most efficient sniper rifle in the game. I like efficiency so therefore I like the AS50 the best.

While the as50 combined with Rangefinder is sweet, I do prefer the DMR. Once you learn the mildots it's not too hard to use and ammo is relatively easy to come by.

• Like 1

I know not which you speak of. I still get one shot'rs all the the time. Only people that can't aim complained about the "nerf."

enfield went from 12500 damage (over 12k so 1 shot etc...) to 6722 damage (2 shot kill)

While the as50 combined with Rangefinder is sweet, I do prefer the DMR. Once you learn the mildots it's not too hard to use and ammo is relatively easy to come by.

You know, that and it doesn't have a 480m audible radius like the AS50.

DMR is a valid zombie killing weapon, AS50 is pure "Herp derp imma pro sniper than can one hit kill anything on the map"

• Like 2