Sign in to follow this  
SalamanderAnder (DayZ)

Dogs as Detectors of Humanity

Its a decent idea but when coming up with ideas such as these you really need to think of the mechanics and how it would actually work in game, E.G. what if multiple people approached you while you had a dog, can it sense them all? it may growl because one of them could have low humanity what about the others? Whats the range that the dog can sense some one? how can you tell if the dog is sensing a evil human or just a zombie. i dont believe the dog should be able to sense low or high humanity just sense if there are other humans or zombies in the area the player should have to make up his own mind about the situation he is in and not get advice from a dog. like a said a good idea but think of the in game mechanics and the many problems and issue's with it being implemented, just my opinion but i cant see rocket putting this in. also dogs cant read minds or sense how many people some one has killed, though i am not a dog so i do not know that as a fact.

Its a decent idea but when coming up with ideas such as these you really need to think of the mechanics and how it would actually work in game, E.G. what if multiple people approached you while you had a dog, can it sense them all? it may growl because one of them could have low humanity what about the others? Whats the range that the dog can sense some one? how can you tell if the dog is sensing a evil human or just a zombie. i dont believe the dog should be able to sense low or high humanity just sense if there are other humans or zombies in the area the player should have to make up his own mind about the situation he is in and not get advice from a dog. like a said a good idea but think of the in game mechanics and the many problems and issue's with it being implemented, just my opinion but i cant see rocket putting this in. also dogs cant read minds or sense how many people some one has killed, though i am not a dog so i do not know that as a fact.

One thing I'd like to see in addition of this would be the dog attacking said player if he were to shoot you. Like you're running around forest with your dog, hunting, when suddenly you are face to face with another survivor. You both aim your weapons at each other, holding your breath, with only the low growling of your dog breaking the silence. Then suddenly the other guy takes shot at you, breaking your leg. Your dog immediately attacks the hostile player, giving you enough time to recover and finish that bandit of for good.

Another idea I had was that dogs would only team up with highl humanity players. This would give another reason to not shoot everyone straight in the face and the dog would make it easy to spot friendly players and it would make you think twice about attacking them at close range, because then the dog might just kill you.

That is actually a great idea as a mechanic for the planned dog feature.

The only problem right now is, that its not really clear what increases and what lowers humanity as well as the question of how it is determined that you actually "murdered" someone.

Basically the Murder-Mechanic needs to be tweaked so it kind of makes sense.

Shooting unarmed people(except Zeds ofc) is currently regarded as murder..but what if that unarmed guy you let live is stealing from your backpack and doesnt refrain from doing so, even though you threatened him to stop?

What about accidental weapon discharges/friendly fire that kills a (IRL or IG) squadmate?

Should Humanity raise or drop by giving Transfusions to people?

Should humanity drop if you give Transfusions to a bandit?

What about being "forced" to do the aforementioned or doing it unknowingly?

There are just so many issues with the current humanity that should be resolved/tweaked before *any* Indicator no matter how subtle should be introduced.

Another idea I had was that dogs would only team up with highl humanity players.

That would mean a penalty for a "certain playstyle" and shouldnt be considered. There are really bad people out there with even meaner dogs as their best friends.

Edited by Golgo82
  • Like 1

That would mean a penalty for a "certain playstyle" and shouldnt be considered. There are really bad people out there with even meaner dogs as their best friends.

I'm seeing it as a punishment for those playing as bandit, merely just reward for those who decide to help others and not to kill everyone they have on their sights. This would also go well with dogs growling on low humanity players, that was the original idea of this thread, since dogs can sense if you're a bad guy, they won't team up with you. And dogs would also fit in more with the play style of 'good' players, who refuse to shoot on sight, since it would give them some leverage in CQC situations. They wouldn't shoot because they don't act like that and the opponent wouldn't shoot because of the big ass dog they would get attacking them if they would.

I'm seeing it as a punishment for those playing as bandit, merely just reward for those who decide to help others and not to kill everyone they have on their sights. This would also go well with dogs growling on low humanity players, that was the original idea of this thread, since dogs can sense if you're a bad guy, they won't team up with you. And dogs would also fit in more with the play style of 'good' players, who refuse to shoot on sight, since it would give them some leverage in CQC situations. They wouldn't shoot because they don't act like that and the opponent wouldn't shoot because of the big ass dog they would get attacking them if they would.

There will be no ingame-judgement on any player if rocket stays true to what he initially promised, therefore there will be no ingame-penalty to anyone doing their thing, no matter what that thing is.

As I said before the current humanity system is just too easily exploitable/unrefined to be used with any type of murder indicator, since you can basically become a bandit by self-defence..

I think if you probably want to have a dog but you dont want to be bound on your humanity their could be races maybe. I mean if you are an angel (:D) then German Shepards would love you. Golden Retrievers wouldnt be realistic, they cant bite. And if you are a bandit you could search for Rottweiler or other aggressive dograces.

My personal list of features which should be implemeted:

-The detection of bandits.

-The detection of animals(only with an advise to your dog)

-Very bad humanity by killing a dog (in my system a survivor dog)

-Maybe that players that are attacked by dogs cant shoot for a short time (To cast off the dog that just bite you in your arm. Maybe just on the first strike)

-A bigger amount of advises that can be given to your dog maybe 8 (stay,follow,search,attack,quiet,crouch,check player and maxbe with the base building implemented a "go back" to your place or so)

-Something to make the wild dogs love you (item, flesh ,etc.) Or just humanity?

-The dog should have its own needs (Thirst, hunger, bandages, blood) maybe veryfiable over a menu obened by a button like gear.

In sum dogs should have a very big role. Without dogs we wouldnt be the ones we are today, maybe we wouldnt even live :D

Please let me know what you think of my ideas!

another interesting thing would be able to find some sort of vest / pack for your dog nothing to big nothing to small 4 packs common, uncommon, rare, extremely rare. ranging from 8, 10, 12, 14 in pack size, for extra food ammo water etc etc the size is debatable it would also make for going into town a lot less of a requirement and be able to stay out of major city's for specific items (med's) maybe your buddy died and you managed to live you can take him gears I've had to give a multiple friends weapons/ pick up their gears because they managed to die and its irritating to regain a weapon just to give it away to a friend when i can just stop by a deer stand or 2 get him a gun and meet up with him in one of the inland towns (i personally have a vest for my dog that has pockets so do not say this isn't realistic)

Edited by rellik69

What if i'm not a bandit and would still prefer a mastiff/rottweiler instead of a german shepherd?

This.

Plus, other than for the purposes of this game mechanic, since when does a dog care about if a guy has killed other humans or not? As long as the 'owner' keeps feeding it and treating it well, it has no reason to stop following commands.

This.

Plus, other than for the purposes of this game mechanic, since when does a dog care about if a guy has killed other humans or not? As long as the 'owner' keeps feeding it and treating it well, it has no reason to stop following commands.

Well, I was mainly expanding on the idea of dogs being used as a detector of humanity as growling to those low humanity players. So dogs wouldn't feel comfortable around bandits. But more I think of it, I can really see people preferring animal companion instead of human one, since dog would never stab you in the back. I see a new breed of bandits, who do not trust other survivors, but still value an animal companion. I mean even Hitler had Blondie (german shephard, naturally) so I therefore change my opinion on the subject.

Maybe there should be food especially for dogs. Or maybe we had a use for our raw meat to give it to our dogs.

The idea with the "wests" for dogs is a very good one. I mean carrying food and something to drink can kill you when you dont have enough ammo with you. It would be very annoying if you also had to take dogfood with you :/

Perhaps, but I imagine the growling should happen at fairly close range. If you're already that close to someone, and they get startled by the dog, I think you still have the upper hand of both surprise, and you have an attack dog the moment you open fire (if you choose to). I think it'd be definitely enough to encourage someone to drop their shit and run at the very least.

Also to OP, great idea

Lol just made me think of this

Some guy sniping at elektro ghille as50 coyote backpack some guy with m1911 and dog starts sneaking up to him so he can get a clear shot ( lets say spotted him with name tags) dog grrrrr bark sniper SHIT alt f4... Dog meat for dinner :D

I love the idea, however this will result in bandits camping the player's DOGS before attempting to "trade" with them, etc. We'll be flooded with posts of people lamenting the loss of their beloved Lassies.

-- Daerk