Sign in to follow this  
Mister_AL

Ammo: separate cartridges and clips

Proposition:

- separate amo clips and packs of cartridges

- implement new items: packs of cartridges (maybe as a slot disignated for it, with no need to find an item), empty clips

- pack can hold more cartridges then several clips

- empty clip is left in the gear when re-loading out-of-ammo gun

- survivor can reload empty or semi-empty clip from the pack

- loading the clip with ammo takes much time (doing this in fight makes you certainly dead)

- some weapons when re-loaded take cartridges directly from the pack. Double-barreled of crossbow, for example.

- give the ability to empty the clip into the pack

- remove clip-transformation

- obviously, if several clips are filled with a one type of ammo - they all can be filled using the one pack.

- STANAG clip can be loaded with SD or usual ammo

Why I see it necessary:

- more realistic

- creates a choice for the survivor: have a lot of clips for prolonged firing, but have little free space in gear, or have a lot of space, but needing time to re-load your single clip once you are out of ammo in it.

- makes it possible to use some kinds of weapons, which are currently lack of players interest, due to ammunition taking most of space in gear: mentioned Double-barreled and crossbow

- more adequate way of using several weapons with the same type of cartidges

- gives the ability to carry more cartridges, but not to use them the moment you need them

Qustions:

- how many cartridges should a player be able to have in each pack (question of ballancing)? The idea is definitely to make a pack usefull for having more cartridges, then having them in clips

- should this be used for clips having many cartidges in them? While for M249 and its kind it is likely to be a bad idea (clip is a pack itself there), I don't know about assault rifles clips.

Discuss.

• Like 2

question, can you explain a little better, i dont follow still, like why keeping empty cartridges? what is the diference that you treat clips and cartirdges differently? and more importantly, why would somebody keep semi empty cartridges?

From what I understand, once you have expended your cartridge it is replaced by an empty one, which you can refill with bullets?

I like the idea, but having boxes of ammo allows people to carry too much and the whole point is that your space is limited so carrying so much ammo is not efficient.

question, can you explain a little better, i dont follow still, like why keeping empty cartridges? what is the diference that you treat clips and cartirdges differently? and more importantly, why would somebody keep semi empty cartridges?

I understand bullet as "cartridge", and a hold of of cartridges you put into your weapon as clip. Sicne "bullet" is a thing that flies out of the gun, not the one you load it with ))

1. Empty clips can be later re-loaded, so they are kept. As you need to have a clip to load.

2. Clip contains a number of cartridges

3. When after killing a Zed or two I usually re-load so that when I need it - I have a full clip. It leaves me a semi-loaded clip in the gear.

Aftershok is correct.

As for space. I'm a "nightdweller" and I have M4A1 SD, L85 and DMR with me all the time. So there is really not much space, esp since I have 5 StanagSD clips. There is just enough space, if I don't need to have some tent with me.

The other point are mentioned Double-barreled and crossbow. With a clip of 2 (or 1 for crossbow) shots having a separate slot in a gear it is impossible to have enough ammo with you, and that is a main reason I never use those, if I have any alternative.

As i wrote, that is a question of ballancing, how many bullets you can have in a pack for each type. I'd like to have a pack of 30 M1911/Revolver, 10 12'caliber(or what is there in the double-barreled) and 5 bolts. STANAG and AK following the same pattern will give 90 cartridges, and this can realy be too much - I'm not sure.

Edited by Mister_AL