MrJimmySlayer

The Survivor Running Speed

So here's a little useless information for you, but who knows, maybe you'll use it to calculate/estimate the time it'll take to run from point A to point B :D

After a couple of tests for accuracy, the speed at which a player runs (not double tap) is 5.26 m/s.

Converting this to km/h, we get 18.94 km/h, which is a little slower than the average speed of a marathon runner.

In perspective, if a marathon runner keeps this up for 40k's, our survivor is pretty damn fit to keep the speed infinitely, and even more so considering often he is carrying a 20+ kg pack, and awkwardly holding a heavy rifle at the same time.

The crouch running speed is 4.167 m/s, not a bad effort in my eyes. This is equivalent to 15 km/h, you try couch running at that speed with tens of kilo's of gear on, not so easy is it? :D

And finally the crawling speed. Coming in hot at a well paced .9 m/s, converting to 3.24 km'h.

And there you have it folks, have fun not using this information. Ever.

Edited by MrJimmySlayer
  • Like 21

Xd yea I know about this funny speed,most frustrating is player who can't tire and has 30 kilos of equipment on him and funny are alos zeds which can sprint without break forever.Stamina bar or something like that would be welcome,but it surely does take a lot of work to do.

• Like 1

im pretty sure your info is wrong..... your saying that we crawl on the ground faster then crouch run......NO BEANS FOR YOU

• Like 1

glad im not the only one confused by his numbers. crawling faster than running.

hmm.

seems legit.

Fixing, forgot a step :P

EDIT: Sorry folks, rushed it and forgot something like an idiot, current figures should be correct.

Edited by MrJimmySlayer

You crouch-run faster than you run upright, and crawl five times faster than you run? Don't think so...

Still, interesting idea. I'd like to get better data and do some calculations about just how fit my toon is.

Xd yea I know about this funny speed,most frustrating is player who can't tire and has 30 kilos of equipment on him and funny are alos zeds which can sprint without break forever.Stamina bar or something like that would be welcome,but it surely does take a lot of work to do.

Even when developing a game that is intended to feel "Authentic" (see i skipped past "Realistic" as that's a stupid term to use when working with computer games) balance has to be considered when adding features. Adding stamina would be more true to life but would the benefit outweigh the negative impacts on gameplay? In this case probably not. I'd rather the game sidestep reality when it comes to features that bog the game down for no reason other than a false pursuit of realism.

• Like 1

I like the idea of slowing down a tad after continuously running, however, i don't like the idea of me running around the map taking any longer than it already does lol

Nothing better that start your day with useless information;)

Good data collection tho...

• Like 1

Haha must of been real bored to work this out, either way good job!

HAZ MY BEANZ!

Even when developing a game that is intended to feel "Authentic" (see i skipped past "Realistic" as that's a stupid term to use when working with computer games) balance has to be considered when adding features. Adding stamina would be more true to life but would the benefit outweigh the negative impacts on gameplay? In this case probably not. I'd rather the game sidestep reality when it comes to features that bog the game down for no reason other than a false pursuit of realism.

If you've ever played ArmA2 with ACE enabled (and stanima is set at the server), you'll notice a big difference!

You'll move slower when you carry more stuff and it even has a maximum (so carrying an rocket launcher and all slots filled with rockets results in not able to run at all).

You get tired when running/sprinting and gives you blackouts. A real killer when zeds are around.

The only way to move from point A to B is by walking or using motorised transport, unless at very short distances (running from cover to cover).

Personally, I would love to see this in DayZ but it does require a lot of balancing to the zombies (give them stanima too, or make them slower), otherwise it's a death trap.

OT: I love the useles numbers!

FWIW I use this rule-of-thumb for time/distance calcualtions:

On average you can cover 1km (1,000m) in 3 1/2 mins.

FWIW I use this rule-of-thumb for time/distance calcualtions:

On average you can cover 1km (1,000m) in 3 1/2 mins.

1km ( 1,000m )?! Oh My,you're so smart.

So if I threw all my stuff on the ground could i run faster than Bolt for longer?

• Like 1

The survivor can run 100m in just under 20s, I'll do the sprint speed for 100m soon and update OP, then compare to some records :P

Only over time, if you double tap when your character is rested you get a short burst of a much faster speed, once you tire it comes down to the same speed as regular running.

@WaddupBrah

Pretty simple actually, I just timed the survivor running 10m 4-5 times to get an accurate result, then did a bit of maths.

So to figure out the speed, you must use the formula S = D/T (Speed = Distance / Time), in this case:

S = 10m/1.9s

S = 5.26m/s