bond1971@tpg.com.au

Ban Appeal - AU1 (not for me, for my son, hes 11)

Hi, im not sure if this is the correct forum for this but im sure someone will point me in the right direction if it isnt. My son (hes 11) just got nuked by a hacker on AU1. He tried to log back in and it says he was banned?. He has now tried another server and its letting him on so it must be just a ban for AU1.

I can attest in his defense that he is not hacking, in fact we wouldnt know how. Hes only 11 so I know he couldnt have done anything either that might be construed as hacking. As the rest of the family play on AU1 could you please look into removing his ban.

Kind regards.

EDIT: oops please let me know what information you need to remove the ban. He was on AU1 at 9:10pm. Under username Chris.

EDIT: Hes now been banned from AU2 ?, can someone please tell me what is going on ??

Edited by Arch

Firstly, I will play devil's advocate here.

If he was not hacking what else could he be doing to warrant a ban? Does he over use VOIP in game? Would he potentially know the rules of Day Z and what is classed as exploiting?

Hacking in this game is very easy to do because it is all script based. You could Google it and copy some items into a few files. So if he was decently computer literate he could do it. Just wanted to let you know so that you could explore all the options.

Secondly, if he is 11 why is he playing an adult game? I appreciate it is ultimately your decision to make but surely 11 is a wee bit too young for this?

Edited by SumoS

Sigh.. ok forget his age if this is going to cloud the issue. I am not sure why this game is not appropriate for him, he has Left 4 Dead (aussie version which is toned down). He likes to play with his older siblings. Hes not too bad at it either. There is no nudity and the blood/gore is laughable so Im not sure why not.

He does have a mic, though he does not swear (hes only 11). If an admin could get in touch with me to explain the ban that would be great. As far as downloading scripts or anything this would be nigh impossible for him to achieve, as I would imagine he would need to install or place the scripts in the arma folder or something.

Look im sure this will be sorted out easily enough, my first suspicion is that his GUID has been scammed or copied or something, this can be sorted out by the IP im sure.

Your decision.

Is he only banned through those servers? Or all the servers?

Well im sure he wasnt banned for breaching that.

You're probably right, but it effects how much I'm going to think about it.

PEGI is a European rating system, I imagine there will be an Australian equivalent. Until the server admin comes along and gives more details this is like shooting grouse in the dark.

Hi Sumos, I asked him to log on to one of the ANZ servers and he was able to do this fine, thank you, I should have asked him to check that sooner. So I guess this means it must be the two AU servers he is banned from.

Would you happen to be an admin from these servers ?, I have looked at the IPGN website but I do not know how to contact somethere there, so I am hoping an admin will spot this message here.

If an admin from the AU servers could please contact me to let me know why he has been banned, if he was cheeky over the mic then let me know, I will understand if you will not remove this ban however I am happy to also remove his MIC should he be allowed to continue playing there. I do know he was being griefed by Hackers and it was his 2nd death in as many minutes. I also know that he does not swear.

From previous experience, grouse are pretty dumb and tend to walk in front of you anyway.

Clarification from the admins would help regardless. Do they not have contact details on their MOTD?

Sorry bud not an admin for either of those but am in a mood to try help.

Edit:

AU 1 server details and recent history-

http://dayzmonitor.com/server_info/298.html&hide_restarts

Seems they have been having problems recently from hackers as well.

Will check some more out.

Edited by SumoS

HI Gogster, thank you for contributing and assisting with this enquiry. I have just checked the ARMA2 in Steam and it does not say anything about an age restriction, please note that I have only had a cursory glance but normally if there is an age restriction you have to put in your DOB first.

I am from Australia, I do know they recently brought in +18 rated games but given the age of this game then I suspect that it was released way before this.

However I could be wrong and it might pop up with some age restriction when you go to buy it however its a mute point as they have already bought these games through Steam.

You're probably right, but it effects how much I'm going to think about it.

PEGI is a European rating system, I imagine there will be an Australian equivalent. Until the server admin comes along and gives more details this is like shooting grouse in the dark.

Game ratings are just opinions, nothing more.
  • Like 2

Game ratings are not based in law at all at the minute. They are not opinions but they are based on what should be deemed acceptable, for the majority. It is down to the consent of the guardians and he obviously has given his son his consent so there's no reason to argue anything there.

Interesting point though. They will be changing the certification system in Europe so that retailers will be held accountable for underage sales. Obviously downloadable games makes this issue even more difficult to police. Lets see what happens.

Back on topic:

Found some generic contact details for them here: http://www.ipgn.com.au/FAQs

Problem is if someone is running a server on their behalf.

Edited by SumoS

Yeah I had a look at the servers being hosted by IPGN and there were no DayZ servers listed there, wasnt sure how to proceed. Im relieved that its not a global ban, that concerned me. Anyhow, thanks muchly for your time and help SumoS, it was appreciated anyway.

Game ratings are not based in law at all at the minute. They are not opinions but they are based on what should be deemed acceptable, for the majority. It is down to the consent of the guardians and he obviously has given his son his consent so there's no reason to argue anything there.

Interesting point though. They will be changing the certification system in Europe so that retailers will be held accountable for underage sales. Obviously downloadable games makes this issue even more difficult to police. Lets see what happens.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jul/30/pegi-video-game-ratings-law

You owe me a groat.

• Like 1

Thanks Spider, I am still hopeful that an admin will sooner or later check the dayz forum. Otherwise Yes, I will go through the process of registering and posting my message there.

Ok, I need to escalate this, due to the rampart hacking I have been avoiding playing however I decided to pop on and just see if any friends were on. I COULDNT GET ON!, banned. They didnt just ban my son's account they must have banned the IP, this has now blocked all of us from logging onto these servers.

This is just stupid. Can an admin please contact me to find out what is going on.

Update - I have contacted IPGN support, they were very helpful and resolved this problem immediately, thanks again to _Bladez. ;)

Moderator, am happy for this thread to be deleted or archived or whatever you do with resolved threads :)

Good going Arch!

Glad to see you got it sorted.