At the very core of Day Z is the concept of survival, and that often means surviving other players who are trying to kill you. As a result of this, moving through terrain requires as much stealth as possible to avoid being seen by other players. The current black military skins stand out rather sharply with the terrain, so there is a very large need for fully camouflaged ghillie suits that perfectly match tan fields and green/brown forest. Especially considering the amount of players that choose to equip themselves with sniper rifles and camp areas for player kills, ghillie suits would be an amazing addition. These ghillie suits could be dropable items that could spawn at military drop locations. Upon having one in your inventory, you could select ghillie suit (or normal skin) through the scroll wheel much like you do to create a fire.

This is great, and I don't think it would be a very big hassle for them to put it in.

I do however think that the spawn rate should be low so only a few players who had the gusto to go looking for them actually get them.

I'd much rather have a military looking uniform than a ghillie suit.

This has been thrown around allot and I figured it would fall in line with some kind of achievement system that unlocks skins. For a ghillie suit for example being a sniper only skin type you should need a certain amount of sniper kills on zombies or players to achieve this, around 1000 zombies or 100 players.

For a medic skin for example you'd need to have given a certain amount of heals out, and a helicopter pilot would need to have flown a helicopter however many minutes etc...

However I do agree the basic skins right now are a bit boring, and stand out like sore thumbs too much, green clothing at the very least preferably with a camo pattern would be much more suited.

You could make the suit be a craftable item. E.g. you need to gather all items to produce a suit before you can use one.

Definitely hope to see this added, as a VERY rare drop.

Ghillie suits would make things very interesting when trying to counter-snipe!

You could make the suit be a craftable item. E.g. you need to gather all items to produce a suit before you can use one.

....Like leaves, grass, and other brush......??? Shouldn't be too hard xD

Gillie suits IRL involve gathering the foliage from your very location, so I think you should be able to interact with bushes and trees to complete the camouflage.

A ghillie suit would be awesome, but because they are very very useful and would put a player with one at a clear advantage in rural areas they should have an appropriate drawback and I think that having them take up the backpack slot would be more than reasonable.

Gillie suits IRL involve gathering the foliage from your very location' date=' so I think you should be able to interact with bushes and trees to complete the camouflage.

[/quote']

Would be nothing short of badass.

This has been thrown around allot and I figured it would fall in line with some kind of achievement system that unlocks skins. For a ghillie suit for example being a sniper only skin type you should need a certain amount of sniper kills on zombies or players to achieve this' date=' around 1000 zombies or 100 players.

[/quote']

Why are people so obsessed with "achievements"? Just make skins an item that drops on suitable locations. Ghillie suits for example can drop at military locations like NW airfield. Going there, avoiding or fighting the bandits is an achievement on its own.

No need to add non immersive requirements like: "jerk off 25 zombies and kick 3 survivors in the balls with your left toe". Let the world of Day Z create it's own achievements.

Ghillie suits sound awesome, but the main drawback is that your character name would still appear when an enemy crosshair passes over you. They would have to hide your name and distance.

Ghillie suits sound awesome' date=' but the main drawback is that your character name would still appear when an enemy crosshair passes over you. They would have to hide your name and distance.

[/quote']

There's alot of servers that have nametags disabled.

Oh god don't make this one of those games where you reach a certain level and unlock stuff. Just make the suit a very rare item and have it spawn somewhere so players can find it, just like all the other rare items in the game.

A ghillie suit would be awesome' date=' but because they are very very useful and would put a player with one at a clear advantage in rural areas they should have an appropriate drawback and I think that having them take up the backpack slot would be more than reasonable.

[/quote']

Think that might actually be a way to achieve the desired result. Have a "backpack" type item in the game that doesn't actually have any slots, but have it's model that everyone sees be the ghilli suit. So you're wearing your normal skin underneath, and now you have folliage effects decorating your character when you put on the suit.

ETA: Or it could have just a very few slots, 6 like the Czech pouch vest, perhaps to reflect the garment that the ghilli suit is built off of. Also had a thought, if memory serves the M107 takes up the main weapon and backpack slot, this would prevent people from using the suits with the 50 cal and sniping from half a mile away with absolutely no chance in hell of spotting them. They'd have to stick to the smaller sniper rifles, like the DMR or M24.

Gillie suits IRL involve gathering the foliage from your very location' date=' so I think you should be able to interact with bushes and trees to complete the camouflage.

[/quote']

Following this, any fast movement in any direction could cause the player to lose the suit? Also that they could not be carried. Meaning a player would be able to hide but not fully stalk anyone with full camoflage.

[/quote']

Following this, any fast movement in any direction could cause the player to lose the suit? Also that they could not be carried. Meaning a player would be able to hide but not fully stalk anyone with full camoflage.

That makes no sense.

Its not like the suit consists only out of gathered foliage, the aforementioned foliage is only used to improve the camoflage. Position yourself wisely and theres nearly no need for it.

If need be, placeable shrubs could easily be added (already had those in some ArmA2 missions), that would do the job.

As far as the suit is concerned... I'd love to see that as an item. (ideally one that goes in the backpack slot)

ps.: Lets go hunt some wookies !

That makes no sense.

Its not like the suit consists only out of gathered foliage, the aforementioned foliage is only used to improve the camoflage. Position yourself wisely and theres nearly no need for it.

If need be, placeable shrubs could easily be added (already had those in some ArmA2 missions), that would do the job.

As far as the suit is concerned... I'd love to see that as an item. (ideally one that goes in the backpack slot)

ps.: Lets go hunt some wookies !

This might create an unfair advantage to pvp players. This is why i suggested that they can not be carried around? Something would need to be put in place to stop groups of bandits laying in the tree lines watching roads whilst being almost invisible.

Bumping the thread because sniping as a bandit (white on a black or green background) is extremely stupid and not currently viable. Snipers should be a hidden threat in this game. Not easily spotted from a mile away.

In Arma II you cannot change your uniform/skin once ingame (it can be changed before and there are a few script runarounds that could allow it ingame). In Arma III, changing clothes has already been implemented. We'll have to wait for the Arma III DayZ mod. Arma III is out in the fall.