Sign in to follow this  
jorgamun

The Most Valuable Asset: Knowledge

Spawned from the thread about bandages came the question of knowledge.

Bearing in mind that this calls itself an RPG, should you have to acquire knowledge through some means to be (more?) effective at certain tasks?

It could be through book looting in schoolhouses and other places that could teach you a skill (medical, vehicle repair, cooking, etc.) and would be valuable trade items.

Perhaps you could start with one skill already completed.

Thoughts?

We already have knowledge in game. It's called "not going to Chern and Elektro" at the c+ end of the spectrum through to page down = zero sniper rifle at the A+ side. Making a thread about PvP comes somewhere between an F and finger painting classes.

We already have knowledge in game. It's called "not going to Chern and Elektro" at the c+ end of the spectrum through to page down = zero sniper rifle at the A+ side. Making a thread about PvP comes somewhere between an F and finger painting classes.

Wouldn't really consider knowing the basic controls for the game A+ material.

Please read this to get more actual knowledge about the game.

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

I think this was the best thing to come from that bandage thread. I now dont think that was the best way to go with it, but I do like whats come from it.

I liked your ideas for Medical, Mechanical and Cooking knowledge. I also threw in my own, Survival knowledge just to throw some ideas out. Here's a mock up of what I would expect it to look like:

lPMwQ.png

In this example the player is a little over 50% knowledgeable about Medical, completely knowledgeable about cooking and survival, and knows nothing mechanical.

It would spread like a cold does now. If Im with someone who has 80% knowledge towards Medical, my medical knowledge will raise up slowly until it matches his.

What this 'knowledge' does or lets you do is debatable, but I absolutely love the concept of it.

You might have knowledge, but your character doesn't.

An idea.. maybe medical knowledge could decrease the time to bandage/bloodbag, cooking could increase the amount of blood you get from animal meat, and mechanical could decrease the number of parts you need for a vehicle.

That's neat, I hadn't thought of how to represent it. It makes sense, humanity is already represented as a sidebar icon.

I do like the idea of the knowledge leaking into other players near you. There could be books that could teach you a lot about the subject (perhaps get you to 50% on the read), by using the skills you advance them, and if you're in the presence of a player that has a higher skill level than you yours advances to his level slowly over time.

I would think they would also allow advanced options for being fully skilled. A medically traind individual might be able to increase your total blood with a blood bag. A mechanical person can repair the power plant/generators. A cooking expert might be able to make multiples steaks from one piece of meat. A survivalist might lose temperature slower or be able to scavenge items from empty bottles/cans.

I feel that being completely untrained should also have some detriments though. Someone with no medical knowledge might need two bandages to stop bleeding. Lack mechanical skills and you cannot repair most cars or the heli. Someone without cooking skills needs two raw steaks to make one cooked steak. No survival skill and you need more food and water then normal. All just ideas/examples

Really good idea about the skills, especially how they can be taught passivly by other players, would go a long way to giving players incentives to team up rather then kill.

Sure he has a nice M9 but i can find one of those myself, finding information on cooking is much harder, and i want to eat well to restore blood.

resulting in

"Guy by red shed, wanna team up for a bit, i'm good with mechanics"

I would think they would also allow advanced options for being fully skilled. A medically traind individual might be able to increase your total blood with a blood bag. A mechanical person can repair the power plant/generators. A cooking expert might be able to make multiples steaks from one piece of meat. A survivalist might lose temperature slower or be able to scavenge items from empty bottles/cans.

I feel that being completely untrained should also have some detriments though. Someone with no medical knowledge might need two bandages to stop bleeding. Lack mechanical skills and you cannot repair most cars or the heli. Someone without cooking skills needs two raw steaks to make one cooked steak. No survival skill and you need more food and water then normal. All just ideas/examples

Wait so a cooking expert is Jesus?

Wait so a cooking expert is Jesus?

No, thats fish and bread. This is beef. Jesus never did this

This is completely new. Its like Jesus 2.0

Really good idea about the skills' date=' especially how they can be taught passivly by other players, would go a long way to giving players incentives to team up rather then kill.

Sure he has a nice M9 but i can find one of those myself, finding information on cooking is much harder, and i want to eat well to restore blood.

resulting in

"Guy by red shed, wanna team up for a bit, i'm good with mechanics"

[/quote']

Exactly, something you can get from not killing him that you lose if you outright kill him