Skurkanas

The problem with War Z's "features", and what Day Z should avoid

WarZ has basically tried to promise everything. It'll be interesting to watch the Day Z standalone trample all over it.

This quote all the way across the sky.

I've read a lot about War Z lately (or what little info there is), and they have been promising all kinds of supposedly shiny things, e.g.:

- Trading (with real life money ofc because that's the latest MMO buzz - even after Diablo III)

- Unique enemies (bosses)

I hate it when people invent things, they clearly said one time purchase, no subscription and NO micro transactions. So don't post lies fanboy.

Unique anemies don't mean bosses it means they have rare loot like medications as clearly stated in the press release...

Edited by Filip VDM

I think we should start a trend with DayZ, lets throw away the term MMO. DayZ deserves its own category, anything tainted with the term MMO i stray away from these days. I will puke on anything hinting towards an in game society structure. luckily Rocket has a level head and doesnt have a big production team pushing crap mmo ideas. DayZ needs to stay far away from any big structured gameplay

Agreed. I strongly dislike MMOs. From what I've experienced, MMOs are the most money oriented type of game a developer could put on the market. You pay for time to play and the quests are mostly uninteresting go there, get that, kill 20 of those dude missions. Literally quests to make you spent more money if the equation (money=time) is correct. (I know some people enjoy the storylines, regardless, still money hog games.) Although that's not what DayZ is, I also wouldn't want it labeled as such.

I really hope he's able to stick to his guns. Let WarZ try to be everything to everyone, let this continue to be unique.

I believe he will stick to his guns, if I had the money I'd give him a million bucks to do what ever he wants to the game!

Following my post just above, I'd like to mention how WarZ clearly states on the homepage that it is "The first zombie MMO". At first I was like "Pfft, no dayz is. What a bunch of douches." But upon the realization that DayZ should no long be classified as the tainted abbreviation MMO, WarZ can have the title of first zombie MMO. It's not going to make the game any better and we all know that.

no sorry i dont agree with that. I'm looking forward to WarZ and will still play DayZ, which btw i can cope with quite easy. you got misinformed there about the "quests" and "bosses". There is only one special type of zombies. only come out at night which you need to get the stem cells of once infected. sure why not, makes people play at night time. also the "safe zone" you can still get killed in. you will most likely be killed after but you still can do it. also you don't need to follow the missions, which are also not important. on WarZ they leave everything up to you

I've read a lot about War Z lately (or what little info there is), and they have been promising all kinds of supposedly shiny things, e.g.:

- Safe zones

- Trading (with real life money ofc because that's the latest MMO buzz - even after Diablo III)

- Quests

- Unique enemies (bosses)

Now I say: To hell with that. By applying standard MMO features to a game like Day Z, you will ruin everything that makes it unique.

What IS so fun about games like DayZ or Minecraft? They both started out fairly damn minimalistic. Just a basic gridwork of content, just enough to make it playable and allow for a basic set of actions. And here's what's important: Everything else is entirely up to you. Want to build and fly a helicopter? Go for it. Wanna find those NVG's? Hunt some Snipers. Just wanna survive? Best of luck mate! There are no NPC's telling you what quest to go on, there are no Traders spoon feeding you better equipment, and if you want a safe haven, you better damn build yourself one. Don't expect it to just be there guarded by arbitrarily unkillable NPC guards and fully automatic Turrets.

You set your own goals entirely. THAT is what makes DayZ great. And I really hope that the Devs will capitalize on that, rather than get caught up in yet another standard MMO turf war about who can spit out the most "content" to grind through in the least amount of time.

Give us more abilities to shape our own game (e.g. more stuff to build and collect, ways to fortificate cities and ways to raid and destroy said fortifications) but most importantly, stick to your guns. This lovably broken Alpha is popular for a reason, don't take that away because other's think that every damn MMO has to follow the same pathways

can you quote exactly where you have seen those "features" at because i have yet to see them being posted by a developer

Unfortunately we live in a society dominated by profits. WarZ is going to be a game for the mass market of pu--ies out there who need to have a store where they can buy themselves skills or equipment to give them the edge. I quit playing Battlefield when they started allowing people to buy all the unlocks and equipment they want, where I had spent 9789798 hours of playtime earning it. I would gladly pay a massive monthly subscription to keep the game as it is, hard and hardcore. If they decide to go with a mass market game that caters to wimps, I hope they release dedicated servers that don't have any stores, safe zones, bosses that spawn rare loot, set-up dungeons or any of the other nonsense that makes a great survival game just another MMO style game.

no sorry i dont agree with that. I'm looking forward to WarZ and will still play DayZ, which btw i can cope with quite easy. you got misinformed there about the "quests" and "bosses". There is only one special type of zombies. only come out at night which you need to get the stem cells of once infected. sure why not, makes people play at night time. also the "safe zone" you can still get killed in. you will most likely be killed after but you still can do it. also you don't need to follow the missions, which are also not important. on WarZ they leave everything up to you

lol talking about the game like it's already out and you've played it for hours.

As you describe this special zombie and whatever that stem cell idea is, I can't help to think that they are going to go WAY over board on the zombie fiction. If DayZ is a 0 on the ridiculous zombie fiction and L4D is a 10, I'm guessing they are going to land somewhere around an 8. Which is way too high. Zombies are one thing, zombies. Nothing else. There is no cure, there are no special zombies. There is only human, or zombie.

Edited by Theplanbpill

War Z is a MMORPG, Day Z is not.

Fuck anything that offers items for real money, thats just nickle and diming the community and its rampant in gaming now.

Content should be free, released in patches if you shelled out the dough for the game. DLC and micro transactions are fucking terrible ideas and a total ripoff.

I hate it when people invent things, they clearly said one time purchase, no subscription and NO micro transactions. So don't post lies fanboy.

Unique anemies don't mean bosses it means they have rare loot like medications as clearly stated in the press release...

And I don't like being accused of lying ;)

"As you explore the game world, you'll find two types of currency - Dollars and Gold Coins. Both can be used for barter between players if you want or to purchase certain consumables (food, medicine, ammo) at the General Store in one of the safe settlements and in the Marketplace in the frontend. Not all items that you find in the world will be purchasable, and by no means do you need to use the store at all - everything can be found in the game world."

Taken straight out of their F.A.Q. dude. http://thewarz.com/faq.html

It's the usual deal. You CAN get everything the hard way (so it's totally not Pay2Win right?!), but you can also just throw money at them. No thanks

And I don't like being accused of lying ;)

"As you explore the game world, you'll find two types of currency - Dollars and Gold Coins. Both can be used for barter between players if you want or to purchase certain consumables (food, medicine, ammo) at the General Store in one of the safe settlements and in the Marketplace in the frontend. Not all items that you find in the world will be purchasable, and by no means do you need to use the store at all - everything can be found in the game world."

Taken straight out of their F.A.Q. dude. http://thewarz.com/faq.html

It's the usual deal. You CAN get everything the hard way (so it's totally not Pay2Win right?!), but you can also just throw money at them. No thanks

Yup, pretty sure you'll be able to buy gold coins with real world money. Pay2Win for sure. I mean for shit's sake, the damn game engine is from a F2P game, of coarse some of the microtransaction herpes is going to carry over.