Sign in to follow this  
bellicosity

Thoughts on Bandages

CAT's and FFD's have instructions on how to apply them on the packets. It really is simple.

Hey man' date=' Im military too and let me tell how many times I have seen people place these things incorrectly during an exercise. Even during SABC training they manage to screw it up.

Just because the box has instructions on it doesnt mean people read them or use it properly.

[hr']

Suture kit

rare spawn

two inventory spaces

Why

Just

Just why' date=' man

You're complaining that being able to fully bandage your own wounds is unrealistic, but having this kind of wound treatment that you can perform on yourself be general knowledge while having the supplies to perform it be rare AND take up a ludicrous amount of space is better?!

[/quote']

If thats what it takes to 'balance' it, then yes. I dont like the idea of it, but someone else brought it up and if thats what it takes, so be it.

Why complicate things? The system works fine as it is. As for not being able to treat yourself: I know I can personally administer many treatments to myself IRL such as inserting IVs, applying CAT tourniquets, cleaning and dressing wounds etc. It takes practice but many things can be done one handed.

IVs certainly can be tricky though.

Shout out to my main medic man Melbo - "Semper Agens, Semper Quietus"

True, a lot of people quite easily mess it up BUT if you can handle these weapon systems in game then using an FFD on yourself should really not be an issue

True' date=' a lot of people quite easily mess it up BUT if you can handle these weapon systems in game then using an FFD on yourself should really not be an issue

[/quote']

Every one of those guys can fire multiple weapons. Guns are a lot easier than medical care... The only tricky part comes from cleaning/jams. Though to be honest, guns are a lot easier than car/helicopter repair too...

Hehe yeah I guess these guys are jack of all trades and master of them ALL!

So a larger question that this thread is spawning: should knowledge be a resource that you have to acquire ingame?

Hehe yeah I guess these guys are jack of all trades and master of them ALL!

Too true.

Im actually qualified to work on Huey's and let me tell you I'd be impressed if a guy could make one of those fly with scrap metal even with the know-how. I'd be doubly impressed if he had no fucking clue about them and fixed it.

YOU are a medic. What are the chances that a Survivor in Chernarus is?

By the same argument, how would a survivor know how to use rifles, shotguns, pistols etc?

How would they know how to fly a helicopter?

How would they know how to repair a car?

Personally I like to think that the survivors in DayZ are not your average civilian. They are the people who have survived the apocalypse due to their life experiences, training, skills and luck. Most likely they are ex or current military, police, hunter or other person with a similar skill set.

As for medical knowledge - most people I know have done, at the very least, some kind of basic first aid course.

In my eyes the current set up for bandaging works fine BUT I am always up for things that promote teamwork in the game.

So a larger question that this thread is spawning: should knowledge be a resource that you have to acquire ingame?

Thats a damned interesting question. Maybe it can spread like a cough? Sit with someone who knows how and you learn how?

There's an item in game that teaches you how as well? Its an interesting tangent.

YOU are a medic. What are the chances that a Survivor in Chernarus is?

By the same argument' date=' how would a survivor know how to use rifles, shotguns, pistols etc?

How would they know how to fly a helicopter?

How would they know how to repair a car?

Personally I like to think that the survivors in DayZ are not your average civilian. They are the people who have survived the apocalypse due to their life experiences, training, skills and luck. Most likely they are ex or current military, police, hunter or other person with a similar skill set.

As for medical knowledge - most people I know have done, at the very least, some kind of basic first aid course.

[/quote']

But again, basic first aid is only a stop gap. Someone almost always needs additional help with more serious wounds.

I think this is a very awful idea. Why should someone not be able to bandage themself?

Thats a damned interesting question. Maybe it can spread like a cough? Sit with someone who knows how and you learn how?

There's an item in game that teaches you how as well?

I kind of like the idea of readable, lootable books. There are schoolhouses that currently have no loot in them, and they would be very valuable trade items.

I like the idea of the teaching mechanic, the more you use it or have done to you the quicker the process takes/more effective it is.

I like the idea of the teaching mechanic' date=' the more you use it or have done to you the quicker the process takes/more effective it is.

[/quote']

Well then maybe on the idea of bandages, for an unschooled user it takes two bandages to fully stop blood loss?

The first makes it a slow trickle, the second completely heals it like one does now?

If thats what it takes to 'balance' it' date=' then yes. I dont like the idea of it, but someone else brought it up and if thats what it takes, so be it.

[/quote']

What needs to be balanced here?

Fighting zombies puts you at risk of injury and death. Not just from the zombies themselves, which are manageable if you're smart and have equipment, but also from other players drawn to the sounds of your gunfire.

Zombies use up your ammo, and they can injure you. Sometimes getting hit by one will break your bones, knock you down, or knock you unconscious. Do they really need to be so incredibly fatal?

This argument about the zombies not being a true threat... the zombie genre has never really been about the zombies themselves anyway. It's about the social breakdown that occurs in such a situation, extinction and hopelessness and all that.

Every time you fight zombies you are already putting your long-term survival at risk.

I like the idea of the teaching mechanic' date=' the more you use it or have done to you the quicker the process takes/more effective it is.

[/quote']

Well then maybe on the idea of bandages, for an unschooled user it takes two bandages to fully stop blood loss?

The first makes it a slow trickle, the second completely heals it like one does now?

Thats actually what we do in the field, if the first FFD doesn't stop the bleeding, slap on a second! There a process called primary survey/secondry survey/TRAPS all kind of different ones that you go through to make sure when to apply the second but that really is not needed in this game!

What would it really accomplish though' date=' apart from forcing some people to do what they dont really want to do? By forcing the players hand you get a situation where he goes "Aw dammit, now I HAVE to do this thing". That is not good. The player feels forced to do something he doesn't wanna do and gets frustrated with the game.

Instead you have to build your game in a way that makes the player want to do whatever you want him to do, without forcing him to do so.

[/quote']

You're forced to eat?

To drink?

To get fire?

I just don't see how you can, by yourself, adequately treat some wounds let alone serious wounds.

And you can get food, water and wood by yourself. I guess I should have been more specific and mentioned that I'm talking about playstyles here.

Well then what about adding something like a suture kit that is a somewhat rare spawn? Takes up two spaces, and enables you to stop blood loss on your own? Otherwise it requires a player to use a bandage on you?

Edit: I really do no think that as the game currently is, encounters with infected people are dangerous. There needs to be a mechanic in place to make them extremely dangerous, or at least somewhat dangerous. I dont personally like the idea of a suture kit but if it balances the game well, then so be it.

The idea of a zombie-esque game having the zombies be an after thought in the danger seems a bit off to me.

The zombies really doesn't need to be anymore dangerous as long as they work like they do currently. At this point, there is no way to reliably avoid getting hit by a zombie without running into a house. If they're within 30m of you they will hit you, because thats is basically no way that you can predict their crazy evasion zigzag.

The zombies really doesn't need to be anymore dangerous as long as they work like they do currently. At this point' date=' there is no way to reliably avoid getting hit by a zombie without running into a house. If they're within 30m of you they will hit you, because thats is basically no way that you can predict their crazy evasion zigzag.

[/quote']

Back up? If there is only one you back up with them coming at you they will most likely miss

You know the knowledge thing would actually encourage people not to shoot on sight too. As it is right now, all you can get from someone else is their gear. IF they had the ability to teach you something, or help you out in some way you would be more inclined to have them tag along at the very least... then kill them =P

But again' date=' basic first aid is only a stop gap. Someone almost always needs additional help with more serious wounds.

[/quote']

I've done a year and a half of medical training and all the treatment I can give is only stop gap. That's the same for qualified Doctors.

If you have a serious wound, you need a surgeon. If not, you die. Simple as that. A shot of morphine isn't going to cure those broken legs and you sure as hell wont be walking around on them.

Take, for example, a fracture of femur. That needs to have a titanium/steel rod inserted down the center of the bone then plates and screws added to hold it in place. The leg then needs to be immobilised for many weeks until the fracture heals.

Trying to simulate this in game would just detract from people's enjoyment.

My vote: Keep medical treatment as it is.

[/quote']

See this is a much better idea imo. You can still reliably fix yourself up solo but its not as effecient as if you had another person around.

I still dont see what it would really accomplish though, but at least its better than the original idea.

If you have a serious wound' date=' you need a surgeon.[/quote']

Not to mention hospital equipment that simply wouldn't be available in a post-apocalypse.

Maybe a mod can get this moved into Suggestions?

Surgical cricothyroidotomy for players requiring definitive airway control! :P

I'm off to apply a CAT to my neck as I have somehow managed to become ill in this awesome weather the UK is currently having (I also read the packet wrong).

The zombies really doesn't need to be anymore dangerous as long as they work like they do currently. At this point' date=' there is no way to reliably avoid getting hit by a zombie without running into a house. If they're within 30m of you they will hit you, because thats is basically no way that you can predict their crazy evasion zigzag.

[/quote']

Back up? If there is only one you back up with them coming at you they will most likely miss

You know the knowledge thing would actually encourage people not to shoot on sight too. As it is right now, all you can get from someone else is their gear. IF they had the ability to teach you something, or help you out in some way you would be more inclined to have them tag along at the very least... then kill them =P

You rarely aggro just one zombie, and even if its just one, it can still hit you even if you backpedal as fast as you can.

Maybe a mod can get this moved into Suggestions?

Surgical cricothyroidotomy for players requiring definitive airway control! :P

I'm off to apply a CAT to my neck as I have somehow managed to become ill in this awesome weather the UK is currently having (I also read the packet wrong).

Plus needle decompression, bolan chest seals, BVMs, OPAs, NPAs, LMAs... god, the acronyms are endless. Why not urinary catheters as well?

(You haven't just come back from the field have you? It would be hilarious if you were one of the RAMC medics who were out with us this last week.)

If we're gonna go this far to take fun out of the game for solo players, why don't we go all the way.

This isn't supposed to be ultra realistic.

Plus, this pretty much already exists with Blood Bags.

Do this and lone wolves are boned.