Charles Darwin (DayZ)

ArmA III(DayZ stand alone) engine improvements

I think the Real Virtuality engine used in the DayZ stand alone will massively improve this mod in many ways. One of the most obvious examples is the lighting, especially at night.

Observe how much more rich the lighting is and how it adds to the game, this also includes the muzzle flashes, now nighttime will present the problem of giving away your position by firing not only by sound but also by muzzle flash

You also get to see a quick demonstration of the inventory system which looks to be massively improved. Drag and drop capability, gear that can be stored in your clothes, in your back pack and is all separate with their own menu from the top bar will make managing your inventory much more intuitive.

I think the attachments will be an interesting addition as well, allowing us to customize our weapons like never before

• Like 7

Irrelevant for me. I run the game now on everything low or disabled just to get 25ish fps.

You need more floppy disks.

Or a better potato.

• Like 20

The Internet is a series of tubes

• Like 4

I just hope that rocket knows what he is doing. I hope for a good Dayz-experience. Not a good experience with the new engine.

• Like 1

Have to say, looks very nice. Hopefully night battles etc will be awesome. They look so much better in the above video compared to ArmA2/DayZ night time. :thumbsup:

Edited by GeordieMarv

Irrelevant for me. I run the game now on everything low or disabled just to get 25ish fps.

Maybe you don’t have enough RAM to understand this, Boof, but there's such a thing as painting racing stripes on your PC case and drinking unsafe quantities of Code Red to increase frame rates.

I bought my current PC in hopes that I could run Arma 3 with decent settings.

It still runs Arma 2 slowly :(

Fuck a car, I'm putting my money towards another PC!

I bought my current PC in hopes that I could run Arma 3 with decent settings.

It still runs Arma 2 slowly :(

Fuck a car, I'm putting my money towards another PC!

Get a strong CPU bro, Arma is very CPU intensive

You need more floppy disks.

Or a better potato.

This is pretty much void as performance is also server dependant. My PC isn't great, about 3-4 years old except the graphics card which is about 1-2 years old, and on a server that has just been restarted, I get 30-50 frames with everything on lowest/ off. On a busy server, thats been running for a long time, littered with dead bodies, zombies, loot, vehicles and tents, I can get FPS as low as 10-20 in certain areas.

Edited by Yorkie065

I wonder if they've bothered with trying optimise the code, as much as all the other stuff.

Of course not.

Their main money maker is the government contracts. VBS engine is meant to be played on closed, secure networks. Not on the open net.

Basically, prettier lights and some physics improvements is all they did.

I hope they lose their government contract, that way, they will be kicking themselves for ignoring the million + people in the commercial market that believed in them.... past tense.

BI will never get another dime from me.

Only way that will happen is if they fix ARMA 2 (which they can, but won't cause they have our money already).

At least I can sleep well at night knowing that Valve got most of that money cause BI sold the DIGI rights to their game a long time ago. Most sales for this game were through STEAM.

From what I hear, if you can run Arma2, Arma3 will run better. No issue for me, runs great at 1080 with max settings. :D

This is pretty much void as performance is also server dependant. My PC isn't great, about 3-4 years old except the graphics card which is about 1-2 years old, and on a server that has just been restarted, I get 30-50 frames with everything on lowest/ off. On a busy server, thats been running for a long time, littered with dead bodies, zombies, loot, vehicles and tents, I can get FPS as low as 10-20 in certain areas.

50-60 constantly on max, oldest hardware probably 3-4 years :D

"The standalone engine we are using is a branch of Take on Helicopters, which itself is a branch of ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead"

No arma 3 engine ! standalone will use the arma 2 engine :( :emptycan: >:(

you have just one mistake in OP, the DAYZ standalone will not run on Arma 3 engine but on some kind of Arma 2.5 hybrid version. Who knows if improved light effects will be included.

As per http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

"The standalone engine we are using is a branch of Take on Helicopters, which itself is a branch of ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead. We chose this because of its stability, ease of development, very achievable optimization, and the fact that our programmers are the architects of the engine - the very people who built it from the ground up over ten years."

Of course not.

Their main money maker is the government contracts. VBS engine is meant to be played on closed, secure networks. Not on the open net.

Basically, prettier lights and some physics improvements is all they did.

I hope they lose their government contract, that way, they will be kicking themselves for ignoring the million + people in the commercial market that believed in them.... past tense.

BI will never get another dime from me.

Only way that will happen is if they fix ARMA 2 (which they can, but won't cause they have our money already).

At least I can sleep well at night knowing that Valve got most of that money cause BI sold the DIGI rights to their game a long time ago. Most sales for this game were through STEAM.

You obviously have no idea of what you're talking about. A2:OA was released June 2010 and is still heavily developed, but you don't make it very clear what they're supposed to fix either. Losing (all) their govermental contracts wouldn't make it better as most of the new features are coming from VBS2, like FLIR in OA, tons of vehicles, etc. Also, the A3 team and BIA (doing VBS) teams are the same size now, both counting about 100 heads each. They've also added a lot more than lightning and physx. By the tone of your post I'm guessing you're sitting on a global ban?

you have just one mistake in OP, the DAYZ standalone will not run on Arma 3 engine but on some kind of Arma 2.5 hybrid version. Who knows if improved light effects will be included.

As per http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

"The standalone engine we are using is a branch of Take on Helicopters, which itself is a branch of ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead. We chose this because of its stability, ease of development, very achievable optimization, and the fact that our programmers are the architects of the engine - the very people who built it from the ground up over ten years."

Rocket has said that with the stand-alone they're able to cherry pick the features they want from the engines (and I believe he mentioned lighting as an example, but that doesn't have to mean much) and code their own modules (like inventory which is one of the first things to be totally revamped and coded from scratch). It's still the same engine at core, its just what modules will be included and what will be made that is going to be different. And of course to close it down to combat hackers.

To OP: DayZ standalone isn't going to be based on the Arma 3 Engine (Real virtuality 4). It's going to be based on the Arma 2 engine with features from Real Virtuality 4.

Skip to 04:25

Well TOH runs like shit on my pc when arma 2 runs smooth.

I dont have high hopes now :(

• Like 1