Sign in to follow this  
sostronk

Can anyone explain how aiming works in this game?

So ive had some pretty wierd experiences with it. Tonight I had a MG and literally stood straight on top of this guy aimed and unloaded a 200 round belt into him. When I did it I swirled it all around starting from his head and down towards his legs and back. He did not die. He was prone and didn't realise I was there, I had to reload and emptied about another 50 rounds directly at him before he realised where I was and killed me after two shots from a sniper rifle. I don't think it was a hacker because he died in a later fight. It seems like there is something seriously wrong with hit rego in this game. I never played ARMA so is there any tips experienced players can give me for aiming?

Edited by sostronk

How far was he? And spraying and praying doesn't work in this game. Did you use sights or did you fire from the hip?

Edited by SillySil

Arma 2 has realistic bullet physics. If he was far away, the bullets would have dropped a lot.

Also constant fire from an MG will only have the first 2 bullets land on target.

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

Here is realistic balistic model, so you must aim higher when bigger distance in short words. Check pages about arma or better play tutorials missions in ARMA 2.

try playing Arma for practice, sounds like dumb advice but honestly it's the best thing you can do. Disable the DayZ mod via the expansions menu and reload the game, boot up the single player editor and try the training missions, they will help you far more than any video or piece of written advice.

• Like 2

He was 1meter away. I was literally standing over the top of him. Ive fired alot of Machine guns in real life, I know how terrible the spread can be on them, particularly from a standing position. "IRL" the guy would have had at least 50 rounds in him, in this he had none :( I switched from aiming down the site initially then panicked and switched to hip fire after reloading.

Spraying in long sustained bursts isn't going to get you anywhere, next time try 3 round bursts max to ensure you can track where the rounds are hitting and adjust optimally to hit your target. Obviously line up your sights/reticle onto the target and adjust for elevation/distance.

If you used third person you will miss most the time.

Also if you have pain and the recoil of that gun your going to have a bit of trouble hitting anything that isn't next to your nozzle.

Short controled bursts will allow you to see where the bullets impact on the ground and make corrections.

If you want to go full auto with a machinegun, you better lie down and even then you have to fight it a bit to stay on target. Firing from crouched/standing position, you have to fight it even more and have to aim much lower and to the left, because your shots will go high and wide to the right.

Edited by Dallas

If what you're saying is true, that you were literally right on top of him and managed to miss 250 rounds, the only thing I think it could possibly be is some really weird, fucked up case of lag/desync. That, or he was a hacker, but you seem certain that he wasn't. Did you see blood come out when you hit him? I've shot hackers before, you usually still see the blood squirt out from the wound but they take no damage.

Possibly a combination of lag/desync or buggy landscape, I've had stairs/trees suck up bullets which clearly shouldn't have hit them.

Also standing up with a M240 or M2409 means anything after the first round is going to spray like a mofo they are just not accurate guns outside of the prone position in anything more than 2-3 shot bursts

Basically:

3rd person view

+ Standing

+ MG

+ Constant firing

= will miss unless the end of the barrel was in your target's mouth

I'm not even exaggerating

Edited by Griff
  • Like 1

If what you're saying is true, that you were literally right on top of him and managed to miss 250 rounds, the only thing I think it could possibly be is some really weird, fucked up case of lag/desync. That, or he was a hacker, but you seem certain that he wasn't. Did you see blood come out when you hit him? I've shot hackers before, you usually still see the blood squirt out from the wound but they take no damage.

Im fairly sure he wasn't, I abused him for having god mode on in voice com and then he died about a minute later to one of the guys I was playing with. He might have felt guilty for being so obvious and turned them off. But don't know. I don't know how I could miss from that range.

Thanks for the tips though guys. Ill practice doing this. I like the idea of working on my MG for suppressing fire in a squad :)

I've had a similar experience, I was right next to a guy, shot him with my Mk 48, he did not die, so I shot him with a small burst, and he was still ignoring me, then I just fired the rest of magazine on him, then his friend shot me with M107, it was 12am server time.

I just figured the server had a massive lag

Also:

If you're panting hard, your aim will be all over the place.

If you're not aiming by right clicking and shooting from the hip you won't hit anything.

Hold your breath and zoom in by holding the right mouse button AFTER clicking it to go into aim mode.

Crouching makes your aim better, going prone more so. Going prone makes you very hard to hit and see, but of course, hard to move or see though the grass.

YOU ARE NOT PLAYING CoD! THERE IS NO HIT-SCAN IN THIS GAME! Bullets have velocity and drop off. The longer the range, the higher you have to aim unless the gun has zeroing (pages up and down) and the rounds do less damage.

Edited by PoisonedAl

If he was just standing still there's a good chance he was logged out and it had bugged the body still in game. I had it some days ago .. guy was just standing at the lighthouse and I pumped about 10x 50cal rounds into him at 100 meters.

didn't die.

wasn't moving either like

Also:

If you're panting hard, your aim will be all over the place.

If you're not aiming by right clicking and shooting from the hip you won't hit anything.

Hold your breath and zoom in by holding the right mouse button AFTER clicking it to go into aim mode.

Crouching makes your aim better, going prone more so. Going prone makes you very hard to hit and see, but of course, hard to move or see though the grass.

YOU ARE NOT PLAYING CoD! THERE IS NO HIT-SCAN IN THIS GAME! Bullets have velocity and drop off. The longer the range, the higher you have to aim unless the gun has zeroing (pages up and down) and the rounds do less damage.

Question what is zeroing? I'm farely familiar with the game but never used snipers. I'd like to try it