Sign in to follow this  
ryanhowell@live.co.uk

Things to be aware of at the start

I am just about to start playing the Dayz mod for the first soon. I just wanted to know some tips and what to do the first thing I go online, I also was wondering how I can tell if I have found a bandit.

Thanks.:cool:

Recently started myself and these are my main things:

Avoid contact with both players and zombies

Never sprint while standing up near zombies(Way to loud). Always sprint crouched

Barns are the key to early survival and house good weapons

Learn Inventory Management

Always keep a eye at stats to make sure you are not bleeding after contact

-If you need to get past zombies, crawl.

-NEVER EVER crawl down stairs or steps - you might very well break a leg.

-Never completely trust anyone unless you know them from outside of the game.

-Your guns are LOUD; crouch-run to lead zombies away from the horde before you shoot them.

-Cities and airfields are great spots for loot, but are extremely dangerous.

-You can spend hours crawling through the mud to get the perfect gear setup only to get killed by someone for your beans. IT HAPPENS! Remember, DYING IS FUN!

If you are unfamiliar with ArmAII ?

!!!!!INVENTORY MANAGEMENT!!!!!

My number one beef with the game is the HORRIBLE system that exists ingame atm. It has been suggested to me that I run through the ArmAII tutorial to learn this stupid ass system before playing.

Seriously it's that bad. I died the first time I played because it took me too long to figure out how to shut a f*cking door.

Seriously it's that bad. I died the first time I played because it took me too long to figure out how to shut a f*cking door.

It is pretty confusing at first, but new players will get the hang of it quickly.

While we're talking about it:

-Most items have to be used from the gear menu (G) by right-clicking them.

-Most loot has to be picked up by opening up the gear menu while you're over it.

-Some loot (backpacks, weapons) can be picked up by using the mouse wheel while you're over them.

- IMPORTANT: taking a backpack will leave your current backpack AND ITS ITEMS on the ground. You will have to open your old pack while it's on the ground to get the items back.

-Doors, gates, and ladders are operated by using the mouse wheel.

-You can switch between primary and secondary weapons by using the mouse wheel.

-You can switch between your active weapon and certain items (flares, chemlights, and grenades) by pressing F.

-L will activate flashlights and weapon lights.

There are probably things I'm forgetting. Don't worry about memorizing this list; you'll learn the stuff you need to as you go.

My number one beef with the game is the HORRIBLE system that exists ingame atm. It has been suggested to me that I run through the ArmAII tutorial to learn this stupid ass system before playing.

Uh.... The zombies can clip through doors... So you'd have died, anyway.

L

Before you start playing, go into key binds and unbind CAPS LOCK and 2x CAPS LOCK. These will open up server wide VCR comms and you will drive everyone nuts and risk their undying anger.

Also, write down which server you are on if friends will be joining you. It's not visible anywhere in game.

It's probably best not to go to Elektro or Cherno until you figure out how to play or feel like a ninja.. oh and try to download the map to your desktop.. it helps alot. Heading inland would be a good idea (following the downloaded map/reading town signs to know where you are).

If you're running alongside a road try and keep into the forest while following it so you're not such an obvious target for bandits etc.

You should run through the basic tutorial and then run a few missions[singleplayer] or a few war maps online :D

It's not that hard.

- Use whatever weapon has the most ammo. If you have a Makarov with 6 mags and find a revolver with just one box of bullets, keep the Makarov.

- When you attract zombies, find a building to take cover in and switch to your pistol.

- Be aware that while you're fighting a horde of zombies, you are very vulnerable to opportunistic players. Stay aware of your surroundings and keep away from windows if you can.

- Always have an escape route from the zombies, avoid fighting a horde in a dead-end or small room with only one door. Barns, warehouses, and those two-room brick houses are excellent places to hold out because of their multiple exits.

- Fight from high ground when you can. This applies to PvP as well as zombie slaying; if you hide on a rooftop and stay behind cover you will be more difficult to kill.

hi, welcome to Dayz!

First thing to do is play the game, dont think your going to survive coz you wont..

Get used to the controls these will get you killed more than anything! walk crouch vault etc

get used to using the backpack and items in your inventory, dropping stuff and picking it up.

have a web page or 2 open with a map, when you first spawn it tells you what area you have spawned into for a few seconds in the bottom right of the screen thats the only time it will say. also reading what all the keys do helps alot.

And be quiet! its suprising how close you can get to the Zed and they wont even attack you, good to practice this at the start so you know safe distances to move.

Dont trust anyone, people will kill you for your stuff as easy as saying hello to you.

the rest you will learn from ungiving mistakes but reading the stickys in the newcomer area has alot of very good inforamtion you should take the time to read when your dead and waiting for the server to respond !

good luck :)