M4RT3

About to buy - couple questions

So first off, is there any difference or preference in buying through Steam or not? I heard someone else say that it was better not to get through Steam but I'm not sure why exactly. Also, I've seen that I should download the SIX Updater or w/e it is (I saw the instructions for installation but I'm a complete noob with certain computer lingo, heh). So does anyone have any pointers for someone who is about to purchase this and is completely new to this engine and all.

Thanks guys! Can't wait to play!

Steam for most users seems to be more complicated. I bought through Amazon so. I have no comment, the Amazon version is fairly easy to manage without SixLauncher.

I bought it through Steam and I've haven't had any problems. I personally use DayZCommander for my game launcher and it'll actually download DayZ and ArmA II beta patches and also install them for you and you don't even have to have Steam open to launch the game.

No problem here using the steam version. Get Six launcher, it doesn't even need steam to be on. Six updater.. I'm not even sure what it does, but it lets me run the game windowed and has other launch options. Six Launcher will update the game files for you though.

I also bought thru Amazon. Didnt have any problems. Amazons version is 1.59 for OA. you will need to dl' both the 1.6 and 1.62 patch from ArmA2 site to run.

So I typed in DayZ on Steam and ArmaII Combined Operations came up for $29.99 - is that what I need to purcahse?

Also, make sure you have plenty of space both ArmA2 and OA 7gb each. so you need roughly 25-30gb to install 14 for the pre-install and 14 for the completed installation

Like do I need to buy both versions Arma II AND Arma II Operation Arrowhead in order to do DayZ?

I bought through Steam and found it very easy to install (however I did not buy specifically for DayZ).

All you need to do is use the SixUpdater to install it, then SixLauncher to launch and this completely bypasses Steam, meaning it's not even loaded when you're playing (although this can also be considered a downside if you're trying to meet up with friends off of Steam.

I downloaded Arma2 demo

Brought Operation Arrowhead through steam.

Manually installed DayZ, Did not work.

Installed Six Launcher, it fixed the Dayz Mod.

Found a few ping related issues with it and then went to DayZ Commander.

Ok, so I downloaded the Arma games from Steam, and I'm about to download DayZ Commander. What are the steps after I download that launcher that I need to do?

So I typed in DayZ on Steam and ArmaII Combined Operations came up for $29.99 - is that what I need to purcahse?

Yes that's the one. It's on special on some website (Can't remember which, for $23). I recommend Dayz commander instead of six updater/launcher. Much much much better imo. Also remember, you are buying Arma2, Dayz is a free mod.

Yes that's the one. It's on special on some website (Can't remember which, for $23). I recommend Dayz commander instead of six updater/launcher. Much much much better imo. Also remember, you are buying Arma2, Dayz is a free mod.

Ok I'm about to download the DayZ Commander - but what steps do I need to take in order to get it working? Once I download the DayZ Commander (after getting the Arma expansion) what do I do? Do I just start up the DayZ Commander client and I'm good to go?