Sign in to follow this  
bean_stream

Peoples stance on removing grass for Frame Rate/Streaming ?

I have done it before just to see what the frame rate is like .. christ it doubles nearly triples frame rate. Just wanted to know what people think of removing grass for steaming purposes ? Frame rate takes a pretty bad hit with it on when you are near a town like cherno/electro. <15fps.

I know you gain an advantage because there is no grass (the small ones around you)

But you also get an equal disadvantage because you don't know if you are in any grass or not and cant hide.

What do people think ?

EDIT :

I am running an i7 930 / 6gb DDR3 corsair ram / 2 x ati 5870's in crossfire. (but crossfire doesnt work on arma 2 ao -_-)

EDIT : yes i do mean moving the grass .pbo file.

Edited by bean_stream

It's an exploit. Where does it end? Rocks? Trees? Buildings?

May as well run about a totally baren featureless environment (debug plains anyone?) how boring.

Play the game how it's meant to be played.

My computer sucks shit with grass. My computer sucks less shit without grass, but still sucks. I prefer to have it off. This is what it's like with grass: SCREENS!

arma2oa2012-08-0622-31-36-47.jpg

Edited by omgwtfbbq

Wouldn't be so bad if BI/ATI made a crossfire profile for the game >.> .. i have an ATI 5870 sitting there ... doing absolutely nothing ...

I remove it so I can see you better past 30 meters.

Come @ me, breh!

My computer sucks shit with grass. My computer sucks less shit without grass, but still sucks. I prefer to have it off. This is what it's like with grass: SCREENS!

you do know that 1920x1080 and 800x600 only differs about 5fps?

i play arma on a pc well over 8years, removing grass is for kids that cannot play the game properly and need to cheat in order not to die and save there shit gear

I remove it so I can see you better past 30 meters.

Come @ me, breh!

What??

Come at you what?

:D

I think i'm out of touch with the youngsters nowadays.

Edited by GeordieMarv

Wow, if those are the settings you have to run the game at (looks like a PS2 game), maybe you *do* need to have the grass off. IMO it's a cheat, but if your computer only has integrated graphics or something then maybe it's ok. I play at servers that have .pbo checking turned on anyway, so people who delete/rename files won't be able to get in.

This is a PVP game and with that said, anyone that plays with grass on, performance or not, is robbing themselves of that advantage.

It is not an exploit.

Next, I'll start hearing that 3rd Person is an exploit.

The people complaining about this are the ones that get "fed up" and come in with scripts. Just small ones, mind you, just a little item. Till they still get owned and the scripting get more profound.

It is justification of the worst kind.

• Like 1

On an ending note. I am now a firm believer that M rated games should not be sold in any way, shape or form to kids under 18.

I think it's okay as long as you aren't killing anyone that way.

This is a PVP game and with that said, anyone that plays with grass on, performance or not, is robbing themselves of that advantage.

It is not an exploit.

The people complaining about this are the ones that get "fed up" and come in with scripts. Just small ones, mind you, just a little item. Till they still get owned and the scripting get more profound.

so you're saying people that are disgusted by little kids that feel the need to remove tree's, grass and buildings are all hackers?

sir you have the intellect of a hamster and i shall now exit this topic

goodday

It is not an exploit.

I think he means turning it off by renaming/deleting game files (which is a cheat, since it's not part of the way the game was designed). Plus like I said, servers that check .pbo files will not let you join. Simply turning the object detail to very low or whatever will remove most of the grass, and that's not a cheat or exploit since it's something that you can do inside the game (without mucking around with the files), like using 3rd person.

Wow, if those are the settings you have to run the game at (looks like a PS2 game), maybe you *do* need to have the grass off. IMO it's a cheat, but if your computer only has integrated graphics or something then maybe it's ok. I play at servers that have .pbo checking turned on anyway, so people who delete/rename files won't be able to get in.

Hopefully the stand alone wont have flaws like this.

I mean i feel for you i really do, if your not fortunate enough to have a decent computer to run with more detail etc.

But removing stuff from the game isn't the answer, the more people that use exploits and cheats...the more danger of there being no community left to play the game. This is just my opinion though. I'm not preaching at people. If you are talking about truly deleting .pbo files etc. There are no objects...if you remove the rocks...there is no collision for them. So you can shoot straight through them etc. This is VERY different from just making detail tweaks for framerates!

Edited by GeordieMarv

I play with scenery graphics on very low. It removes grass past 30 meters. Albeit, it is still there but not profound. If you are talking about removing the files to remove grass, then I am sorry. But, I doubt you mean that. Because if you did, you would have made mention of removing files to remove other things.

Also, if you are speaking of altering/removing files, then you just admitted to hacking yourself. Not very smart.

With all that said, it is evident that most, including OP mean lowering graphics for terrain to "very low" which kills the grass at a distance (30 meters+). Once again, it doesn't remove it, per se. But, rather what it does is make the area smooth. And yes, it does help with spotting.

BOOHOO!

I think he means turning it off by renaming/deleting game files (which is a cheat, since it's not part of the way the game was designed). Plus like I said, servers that check .pbo files will not let you join. Simply turning the object detail to very low or whatever will remove most of the grass, and that's not a cheat or exploit since it's something that you can do inside the game (without mucking around with the files), like using 3rd person.

Naw i have tried setting everything to low, the only real difference in settings you chose are object detail/ AA and shadows. But since the same amount of grass still exists, it only changes the LOD model draw distance but it really doesnt seem to have much of an effect, possibly 3-5fps if that :S. When its not even in the game, so you still have all the trees/bushes/buildings and clutter still loaded you get an extra 40+ fps .... its crazy performance increase.

It lags to buggery because its pretty much the only textures in the game that have an alpha channel that is in high usage in such a small space.

I am up for creating new grass if rocket doesn't mind, i have good experience with photoshop/3dsmax.

There are multiple issues here.

1. If the engine just didn't allow you to remove the grass, then it'd solve all of these issues. It'd be even better if it wasn't such a resource hog as well.... alas, that's not what we've got.

2. This is similar to what most competitive FPS players do. They drop their graphics, turn off physics, and pretty much strip the game down as close as they can get it to being matte colours running over other matte colours. They do this because it causes less visual distractions. This = the milliseconds quicker reaction time that can give you the edge over an opponent.

So... Where is the line drawn and how can it be drawn? This is something that Rocket needs to consider when he goes standalone... and judging from his past decisions, I don't think you'll be able to tinker with scripts to remove tactical impediments.

We'll see!

Of all the actual shit that we have to deal with this doesn't even register on my radar tbh.

• Like 1

It's an exploit. Where does it end? Rocks? Trees? Buildings?

May as well run about a totally baren featureless environment (debug plains anyone?) how boring.

Play the game how it's meant to be played.

All right EVERYONE clock out the game MAX View distance, and max grafixs and grass, DayZ Already limits the game.

I am running an i7 930 / 6gb DDR3 corsair ram / 2 x ati 5870's in crossfire. (but crossfire doesnt work on arma 2 ao -_-)

i have a pentium d 995, 1gig ram running at 669mhz and a 3870x2 and i still manage to get 30+fps

don't cry about low performance if you haven't even tried looking into how to increase them

Edited by unknownuser

Yes, I use an integrated NVIDIA GeForce G210M

All right EVERYONE clock out the game MAX View distance, and max grafixs and grass, DayZ Already limits the game.

Not quite sure what your trying to say here.

But you can set detail to what ever you want. If the server is set to a 3km draw distance...this is what you'll get. ArmA2 was like this...and i'm assuming DayZ is too. So what your saying isn't news to me :D

I dont think they are talking about just detail settings in the video options though. I think they are referring to the deletion of files i.e .pbo files etc.

i have a pentium d 995, 1gig ram running at 669mhz and a 3870x2 and i still manage to get 30+fps

don't cry about low performance if you haven't even tried looking into how to increase them

Dude . i get like 50+fps when i am PLAYING the game, if you read the op you will see i was asking people their stance for STREAMING purposes. Try playing AND streaming and see if you will get that frame rate now, i bet you wont. I have looked into many ways of getting a better frame rate believe me, people have far better machines than i do and still cannot hit decent frame rates. The game is just terribly optimized and the grass is just one part of it that is causing the massive frame rate issues for everyone.