kirai

Radeon HD6950 2gig low fps?

I searched the forum but didn't get any hits on either radeon nor ATI so this is my question.

Anyone using Radeon HD6950 2gig? I get like 20 fps in towns, 25-35 in woods, isn't this a bit low? My former GFX card was Geforce 275GTX and I can't see much of a difference or is it just me? I know HD6950 should be about 30% better then the 275GTX.

These are my video settings

Texture Detail very high

Video memory very high

Anosotripoc filtering very high

Antialiasing normal

Terrain detail very high

objects detail very high

shadow detail normal

HDR quality normal

Post processing effects normal

Interface res 1920 x 1080

3D res 1920 x 1080

If someone knows how to setup the card in Catalyst Control Center for best performance (under gaming/3d application settings) I would be a happy man :)

Cheers!

ARMA 2 is quite a CPU intensive game. I'd recommend getting a faster processor. AMD wise try an AMD FX-4100 or something, Intel I'd go with an i7 3770 or so.

I'd turn off Post Processing to be honest. I have a 6970 2GB myself. No PP, no AA, and no ASO.

I have a 6870 and mine runs 30 fps on high everywhere, it'll probably be either your CPU, internet connection or your HDD.

troll there is no video memory option "very high", and also, "high" limits video memory to 512 MB. Set it to "Default".

Also turn off PP, AA & VS.

Edited by Vitdom

troll there is no video memory option "very high", and also, "high" limits video memory to 512 MB. Set it to "Default".

Also turn off PP, AA & VS.

There is a 'Very High' option, my guess is that you system isn't good enough for the option to show.

Here is a SS I found showing it: http://i13.photobuck...ma2settings.jpg

I have the same card as the OP and setting the 'Video memory' set to 'Default' from 'Very High' lowers my fps about 5-10, depending on the surroundings.

@OP, what are you arma 2 start up parameters?

You could try adding: -maxVRAM=2047 source: http://community.bis...rtup_Parameters

And the see if 'Default' or 'Very high' gives you more fps.

Also, you should run the Catalyst Control Center and see the cards activity (this panel: http://i.imgur.com/Krr9o.png) if it's running at +90% then it's not the card.

most of time its bugs or bad servers or overloaded server

your card will run it fine

What's your CPU?

i5 2.8 ghz, not the best I know

I'd turn off Post Processing to be honest. I have a 6970 2GB myself. No PP, no AA, and no ASO.

Ok, I know the post processing and AA takes more of the gfx card just wanted the extra nice gfx I guess ^^

There is a 'Very High' option, my guess is that you system isn't good enough for the option to show.

Here is a SS I found showing it: http://i13.photobuck...ma2settings.jpg

I have the same card as the OP and setting the 'Video memory' set to 'Default' from 'Very High' lowers my fps about 5-10, depending on the surroundings.

@OP, what are you arma 2 start up parameters?

You could try adding: -maxVRAM=2047 source: http://community.bis...rtup_Parameters

And the see if 'Default' or 'Very high' gives you more fps.

Also, you should run the Catalyst Control Center and see the cards activity (this panel: http://i.imgur.com/Krr9o.png) if it's running at +90% then it's not the card.

Thanks a lot, I will try that

I have a 6870 and mine runs 30 fps on high everywhere, it'll probably be either your CPU, internet connection or your HDD.

I got the same card, Dirt 3 edition Sapphire 6870 OC version, and I can max everything and runs perfect.

But yer Im pretty sure this game like others have said is more a CPU and Ram muncher, I have a AMD Bulldozer FX4170 4.2Ghz and 16G of Corsair Vengeance, Runs sweet as a nut.

The 6950 should easily run it, its gotta be either your Ram or CPU, Make sure windows dont have some of your cores parked, as windows 7 does this by default, but you can dissable it by changing some values in the RegEdit, youd have to google it.

most of time its bugs or bad servers or overloaded server

your card will run it fine

Mhm I've noticed cause my fps dropped from 20 to 8 and stayed there, same with my buddy but my general fps on servers is about 20 in towns.

When I run Arma 2 I get better fps actually

I got the same card, Dirt 3 edition Sapphire 6870 OC version, and I can max everything and runs perfect.

But yer Im pretty sure this game like others have said is more a CPU and Ram muncher, I have a AMD Bulldozer FX4170 4.2Ghz and 16G of Corsair Vengeance, Runs sweet as a nut.

The 6950 should easily run it, its gotta be either your Ram or CPU, Make sure windows dont have some of your cores parked, as windows 7 does this by default, but you can dissable it by changing some values in the RegEdit, youd have to google it.

I reasently did a new install of win 7 so I will check this, thanks

I reasently did a new install of win 7 so I will check this, thanks

Yep, if your running a multicore CPU, ie quad or above then yes, windows 7 parks 2 of your cores by default, to save on power or some bullcrap, all you need to do to check is go to task manager, click performance tab, Then resource monitor, and in the CPU box, look down the right side of the graphs of all your cores, make sure theres none that are parked, if so then look on you tube, search windows 7 core parking, and a guy shows you how to dissable it, its simple.

Edited by nufcmickey

Ok this is what I found out

1. If turning memory usage to default I get about 10 fps drop then when using very high so yes, this should not be set to default for everyone.

2. When I look at my GPU Activity under CCC, it says while playing 99% so yes it uses my GFX card to the limit

3. I checked my cpu cores and they say 100% on all 4, noone seems to be parked

@zq7

I looked at the link you sent me about the parameters but it seems like they only describe how to do with Arma bought from steam.

Well anyways I've turned off both AA and set post processing to low and of course I get higher fps I'm just a bit disapointed that my card can't handle more then this.

Edited by Secutor

I have a 6950 aswell and it should tear this game a new asshole, however with bugs and optimizaton issues it sucks balls. just gotta wait for them to smooth everything out server side.

The low fps is most likely due to the cpu, ram, and even the HDD that it is installed on.

My suggestions

first, Defrag the HDD it will help a lot.

two how much ram do you have? have you allocated enough to arma 2 via startup parameters

three open up CCC and set gaming>3d applications to default.

four download and install MSI afterburner, consider overclocking your gpu as well as using it to monitor temperature, gpu usage, and clock speeds.

five consider doing some upgrades. pick and choose the battles here, a new mother board and cpu can run you a little bit depending on architecture. something like this isn't way over priced and could offer quite the boost, http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=71249&vpn=BX80637I53570K%26Z77X-UD3H&manufacture=Others&promoid=1145 of course spending little more can get you set up for a longer run of no upgrading.

six: think about trying out a crossfire gpu set up. However it is more likely your cpu is and motherboard are causing the bottleneck.

I am currently running a xfx 6950 crossfire with i7 3770k and a p8x77 v deluxe board, 16gb mushkin enhanced frostbyte ram.

Who knows maybe you want to build a brand new computer if you got the money and feel you need an upgrade, a gaming rig can still be reasonably priced if you build it yourself. might be something to look into.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-radeon-hd-7970-core-i5,3210.html

2 x Quad Xeon 2.8ghz

4 gig ram

all very high, don't know bout AA but i think its normal, post process of

Smooth fps, don't know exactly but no jaggedy ness

I have the exact same card and I get about 80-100 FPS in the woods, and maybe 40-50 in towns. I run on medium settings 1920x1080 on both options.

nvidia...

..just shit stirring ;) One thing..you do not need an i7 to run the game on max, an i5 will do it fine but you can throw money out the window if wish :)

I searched the forum but didn't get any hits on either radeon nor ATI so this is my question.

Anyone using Radeon HD6950 2gig? I get like 20 fps in towns, 25-35 in woods, isn't this a bit low? My former GFX card was Geforce 275GTX and I can't see much of a difference or is it just me? I know HD6950 should be about 30% better then the 275GTX.

These are my video settings

Texture Detail very high

Video memory very high

Anosotripoc filtering very high

Antialiasing normal

Terrain detail very high

objects detail very high

shadow detail normal

HDR quality normal

Post processing effects normal

Interface res 1920 x 1080

3D res 1920 x 1080

If someone knows how to setup the card in Catalyst Control Center for best performance (under gaming/3d application settings) I would be a happy man :)

Cheers!

IT IS THE SERVER YOUR PLAYING ON. SOME ARE WEIRD, JUST SWITCH SERVERS.

Caps to get my point across.

Turn down your settings. Day Z can be a very very demanding game. Here are my specs, and here are the specs I have to run on to stay constantly at 60 fps:

Specs

Intel i5 2500k 3.8Ghz

8GB DDR3 Dominator GT RAM

GTX680 superclocked

Settings

Texture Detail: High

Video memory: Very High

Anosotripoc filtering: High

Antialiasing: Off

Terrain detail: High

objects detail: High

shadow detail: High

HDR quality: Very High

Post processing effects: Normal

Interface res: 2560x1440

3D res: 2560x1440

I have SMAA enabled instead of traditional AA, since it looks pretty much identical and hardly eats up performance like regular AA.

• Like 1

There are also of bunch of *.cfg tweaks you can try.

Go to "My Documents" and to "Arma 2". There you should see "YourName.Arma2Profile" and "YourName.Arma2OAProfile". Make a backup copy of both and then open them with a text editor and add/change the following values:

sceneComplexity=150000;

ShadingQuality=0;

MouseSmoothing=1;

Then there are two files in the same directory called "Arma2.cfg" and "Arma2OA.cfg". Again, make backup copies and add/change the following values with a text editor:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

Edited by Antariuk
  • Like 1

I dont get some of you guys setups arnt able to run it fully maxed, as I said I have the sapphire overclocked 6870 and I have no problems maxing, other than I turn off the Post Process as I think it looks awful. But the rest is fully maxed on 1920x1080

I dont get some of you guys setups arnt able to run it fully maxed, as I said I have the sapphire overclocked 6870 and I have no problems maxing, other than I turn off the Post Process as I think it looks awful. But the rest is fully maxed on 1920x1080

What can you say - there's a lot of bugs, I get 30 FPS on one server and 8-15 on another. Deleting the log file and restarting can clear it somewhat.

I have an i7 and HD6970. Runs ARMA II smooth as a baby's bum but it hates DayZ. Guessing it will be better in the standalone version.