Sign in to follow this  
MasterZ

Public Service Announcement: Game engines and you.

Every single thread seems to be speculating what engine the stand alone is going to use.

Speculation is fine, but I sincerely recommend doing a little bit of research before you start smearing your delicious opinions all over the cat filled internet.

Arma 2 engine? Arma 3 engine?

*ahum*

Both games will run on the Real Virtuality engine, Arma 2 runs on the Real Virtuality 3 engine and Arma 3 will run on the Real Virtuality 4 engine.

Because most people even missed that fact (no I did saw your post guy that also knew this) let me explain in lament terms: Arma 2 uses RV3, the third version of the RV engine and Arma 3 uses a modified and improved version of the same engine, thus there are a lot of similarities.

Most games stick with the same engine for multiple games and just tweak and improve it over time, a few other examples are:

Source: With games like Portal, Team Fortess 2, Left 4 Dead and many others.

IW Engine: With the CoD series.

On that note, I don't know which engine DayZ standalone will use but it will not use the Arma 2 or Arma 3 engine, it will either use the Real Virtuality engine or another actual engine.

Thank you for your time and I salute you, few forum members that knew this, posted this and were horridly ignored by the onslaught of posts made by people that just want to say nice words.

I hope Dayz comes out on the Arma 3 engine

How does read? Can anybody tell me? How do read?

It's a sad day when a joking post in response to a thread gets treated like a legitimate post... unless I'm getting trolled right now.

This is getting too meta.

Retarded post of the day right there.

How so? It's really the only logic approach. B.I.S. has certainly appreciate the sales boost to Arma II. In fact I would dare say it has sold more copies in the time span on DayZ then prior. Let us be realistic, The OFP and ARMA series are great games but not big sellers. They do "ok" but industry standards. When ARAM III comes out, B.I.S., STEAM, and everyone else ( non player wise) will be busy trying too bolster sales for the new game, not the old game. B.I.S. doesn't want to compete against themselves. Sales are sales but they have to cover production costs. We can split hairs on that point but I regress to the main subject.

RIght now DayZ is using damn near everything ARMA II has to offer. Besides some very crafty script work on Rockets part the core game is very much there still; models, assets, dummy scripts etc. That is a shit ton of work. A shit ton.

So honestly the most logical thing is for B.I.S. and Rocket to come to terms, use VR4, and have B.I.S. publish DayZ. Otherwise your talking years before a standalone is even realistic. And from what I have heard, Rocket said something about the standalone coming out in a couple of months...

Just think about it, he is familiar with the scripting in the engine, he knows and understands what it can and can't do, it's perfectly logical to assume that if DayZ is ever going to be a standalone ANY time soon, it would NEED to be on the VR engine.

Retarded post of the day right there.

How does read? Can anybody tell me? How do read?

I was joking. I have been in the ARMA/OFP Community since you noobs were in the nutsack. Head over to the ARMA forums. My name there is Redfield-77 and I have made mods, maps, missions, and models all for the Real Virtuality engine. lighten up and get a sense of humor.

It's a sad day when a joking post in response to a thread gets treated like a legitimate post... unless I'm getting trolled right now.

This is getting too meta.

At least The Dyne got it.

I need to stop drinking. Or at least this early. I get it now... Anyway my point still stands. But it is common that people don't know a games engine, or engines in general so they just refer to the engine as the game that uses it. Either way, doh!

Did they announce that it will be using RV3 or RV4 engine? Either way...I'm glad if it will user either. BI has always been great with their modding community. I remember the thousands of models/maps for Cold War Crisis. I hope the standalone DayZ could allow a modding community to flourish like other BI games.

I knew this :)

• Like 1

I wanna see it on a ZX Spectrum engine, I miss load""

I'd better dig out the old tape player then.

• Like 1

Confirmed here: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/08/from-mod-to-game-how-dayz-will-evolve-as-a-standalone-release/

"Rebuilding from the ground up with the latest version of Bohemia's Real Virtuality engine (which was shown to great effect

) will also allow the standalone DayZ to have more diffuse nighttime lighting, rather than the practically unplayable near-pitch-blackness of the current mod."

:D

• Like 1

Confirmed here: http://arstechnica.c...dalone-release/

"Rebuilding from the ground up with the latest version of Bohemia's Real Virtuality engine (which was shown to great effect

) will also allow the standalone DayZ to have more diffuse nighttime lighting, rather than the practically unplayable near-pitch-blackness of the current mod."

:D

That source isn't official, isn't it? It is best to only look at official sources such as the new website, twitter, their blog or look at recorded interviews.

How so? It's really the only logic approach. B.I.S. has certainly appreciate the sales boost to Arma II. In fact I would dare say it has sold more copies in the time span on DayZ then prior. Let us be realistic, The OFP and ARMA series are great games but not big sellers. They do "ok" but industry standards. When ARAM III comes out, B.I.S., STEAM, and everyone else ( non player wise) will be busy trying too bolster sales for the new game, not the old game. B.I.S. doesn't want to compete against themselves. Sales are sales but they have to cover production costs. We can split hairs on that point but I regress to the main subject.

RIght now DayZ is using damn near everything ARMA II has to offer. Besides some very crafty script work on Rockets part the core game is very much there still; models, assets, dummy scripts etc. That is a shit ton of work. A shit ton.

So honestly the most logical thing is for B.I.S. and Rocket to come to terms, use VR4, and have B.I.S. publish DayZ. Otherwise your talking years before a standalone is even realistic. And from what I have heard, Rocket said something about the standalone coming out in a couple of months...

Just think about it, he is familiar with the scripting in the engine, he knows and understands what it can and can't do, it's perfectly logical to assume that if DayZ is ever going to be a standalone ANY time soon, it would NEED to be on the VR engine.

And this guy also entirely missed the point. Hahaha, pure gold.

I'm pretty sure it's running on the ARMA 3 engine, although the game is being built from the ground up so it will differ just a small part.