twix (DayZ)

Vending Machines / Regional Loot

Hate it when you get to a town to find most of it has been looted. Some people tend to clear out the area and farm the area. So to all these farmers who put their life at risk by staying too long in an area you can put your time and effort into scavenging any useful items (only consumables in areas with supermarkets) in the given area and store them in crates outside the supermarket. Each crate holds a maximum of 30 items. Once the crate is full a new crate is spawned and items in the old crate are locked. Eventually when u reach said number of crates for the region a vending machine spawns inside the supermarket. All the crates then get reset to 1. You continue to scavenge more consumables to unlock items in the vending machine. To power the machine a generator is required (engine parts + fuel tank parts + jerry cans. The more fuel and engine parts the better the generator.) Items in the vending machine can be stuff such as cigarettes, coffee, mountain dew, cola, pepsi, batteries, tool knife and one loot unique to that region.

If you do support this idea feel free to add to the list of items you would like to see in the vending machine. Items that perhaps would be more useful to a survivor apart from the usual junk stuff such as cookies, chocolates, chips, condoms etc.. would bring about a better discussion of ideas.

Edited by twix

We should also have hello kitty hand out flowers and rainbows while ponies frolic in the fields around Electro and Cherno and Snipers shoot candy at fresh spawns.

We should also have hello kitty hand out flowers and rainbows while ponies frolic in the fields around Electro and Cherno and Snipers shoot candy at fresh spawns.

vending machines rock. When was the last time you dispensed your tampon to stop the bleeding, like all the time.

Yes, because in real life I'm going to keep filling vending machines up with stuff for others in any kind of apocalyptic situation.

vending machines rock. When was the last time you dispensed your tampon to stop the bleeding, like all the time.

Tampons would be great for stopping bleeding from bullet wounds! Small (virgin-sized) for Makarov shots, and XXL for those pesky M107's... much faster than bandages, just plug it in!

Yes, because in real life I'm going to keep filling vending machines up with stuff for others in any kind of apocalyptic situation.

It should be thought of as scavenging useful items for yourself and others. It's like taking all your items and storing it in a tent and once you are out of supplies you rinse and repeat , only in this case it rewards you with one of many different loots unique to that region. You earned it rather than having to server hop. Why would you help others? Why not. Trying to get things running around the area sounds more realistic rather than pvp.

The presence of vending machines in Fallout doesn't sound remotely similar to what you've described here. If vending machines were implemented in DayZ, they'd be like the ones in Fallout, where they have a couple sodas and that's it. This idea of stashing items in crates to create vending machines in a supermarket is weird and doesn't seem useful at all.

The presence of vending machines in Fallout doesn't sound remotely similar to what you've described here. If vending machines were implemented in DayZ, they'd be like the ones in Fallout, where they have a couple sodas and that's it. This idea of stashing items in crates to create vending machines in a supermarket is weird and doesn't seem useful at all.

Those weapons spawning in the firestation sound weird too right. Not entirely useless but not entirely useful is the way i like to put it. Let's have a look at an example

Eg. Cigarettes

Pros- Keeps you warm

Cons - Addiction, coughing

Edited by twix

Those weapons spawning in the firestation sound weird too right. Not entirely useless but not entirely useful is the way i like to put it. Let's have a look at an example

Eg. Cigarettes

Pros- Keeps you warm

Cons - Addiction, coughing

That.. that doesn't at all explain how the crate/vending machine idea you've posted would be useful. I wasn't saying it's weird because it's unrealistic. It's weird because it seems pointless.

That.. that doesn't at all explain how the crate/vending machine idea you've posted would be useful. I wasn't saying it's weird because it's unrealistic. It's weird because it seems pointless.

Its up to you what items you would like to see to make the vending a tad useful but not in such a way that your life depends entirely on it. Kinda like how you don't need a vehicle to get to a place when you can leg it.

What you're describing sounds like you might as well be pitching a tent in the middle of a city to store goods in. Even with measures in place to make it more useful, this would just create a location for bandits to camp.

EDIT: Twix, this really doesn't sound like a good idea. Overall, it doesn't add to the experience or particularly improve an aspect of the game. I'm just editing this post so as to avoid bumping the thread, letting it get buried.

Edited by Kellexx

What you're describing sounds like you might as well be pitching a tent in the middle of a city to store goods in. Even with measures in place to make it more useful, this would just create a location for bandits to camp.

So to all these farmers who put their life at risk by staying too long in an area you can put your time and effort into scavenging any useful items (only consumables in areas with supermarkets) in the given area and store them in crates outside the supermarket.

Is there a problem with bandits camping an area? I'm all in for close quarter's combat rather than all the sniping shit going on in stary and nw.

EDIT: Twix, this really doesn't sound like a good idea. Overall, it doesn't add to the experience or particularly improve an aspect of the game. I'm just editing this post so as to avoid bumping the thread, letting it get buried.

Not entirely useless but not entirely useful is the way i like to put it.

Just because you don't have any ideas to contribute doesn't necessarily make it completely useless. It's a choice for the player to decide what they would like to do at end game amongst all the suggestions floating around.

So perhaps to get the ball rolling since everyone prefers to hate the vending machine rather than think of ideas to make it useful I'll start with some of my suggestions apart from the ones mentioned in the OP.

First Aid Box

Stun Gun

Weapons Repair Kit

Weapons Upgrade Kit

It should be thought of as scavenging useful items for yourself and others. It's like taking all your items and storing it in a tent and once you are out of supplies you rinse and repeat , only in this case it rewards you with one of many different loots unique to that region. You earned it rather than having to server hop. Why would you help others? Why not. Trying to get things running around the area sounds more realistic rather than pvp.

In an apocalyptic scenario I wouldn't care about others. I would only care about my friend and family, anyone who is a threat to mine or their safety will be killed and anyone that would make supplies more scarce for us would be chased off.

I'm not going to share necessary supplies with others, it's the kind-hearted stupid people that die first. Those who look out for themselves and their friends are the ones that survive.

The only way a vending machine would work with this game is the way they did it in fallout. Maybe some cans of coke or some empty cans,

It shouldn't require power though. If I came across a vending machine I'd smash that thing open, I wouldn't work to find parts and gasoline to get it powered.

All around, this idea isn't very good

Edited by Badjr

In an apocalypse, the nice people die first. Or punish douchebags and repair civilization.

One or the other.

So perhaps to get the ball rolling since everyone prefers to hate the vending machine rather than think of ideas to make it useful I'll start with some of my suggestions apart from the ones mentioned in the OP.

First Aid Box

Stun Gun

Weapons Repair Kit

Weapons Upgrade Kit

Those are worse than your vending machine idea.

The only way a vending machine would work with this game is the way they did it in fallout. Maybe some cans of coke or some empty cans,

It shouldn't require power though. If I came across a vending machine I'd smash that thing open, I wouldn't work to find parts and gasoline to get it powered.

All around, this idea isn't very good

So having a vending machine vend some cans of coke would be a good idea?? How boring would that be. Giving something for the players to work and earn sounds at least a bit more interesting. Fallout implemented a super lame version of a realistic vending machine which basically vends coke. Then they spiced things up in their add-ons with the Sierra Madre vending machine.

So having a vending machine vend some cans of coke would be a good idea?? How boring would that be. Giving something for the players to work and earn sounds at least a bit more interesting. Fallout implemented a super lame version of a realistic vending machine which basically vends coke. Then they spiced things up in their add-ons with the Sierra Madre vending machine.

The Sierra madre "vending machines" were stupid. In fact most of New Vegas was stupid and unoriginal.

Revenge storyline, boring characters that don't make you care for them, side story dran across 2 expansions(milking for money)

But at least those vending machines had a reason why they could dispense crap

Using the chips as raw materials to craft the items.

What you describe as boring is actually authenticity. Not COD-kiddy easymode stupidity.

What you describe as boring is actually authenticity. Not COD-kiddy easymode stupidity.

Have a read on rocket's comment regarding authenticity, he describes it well.

Have a read on rocket's comment regarding authenticity, he describes it well.

I already have, which is why I used the word "authentic" instead of "realistic"

http://dayzmod.com/f...nect/#entry7140

And magical vending machines that teleport crates that players have for some reason teamed up to collect gear into isn't authentic to the Dayz universe.

It isn't authentic to any post-apocalyptic situation.

I guarantee if the world were to end, you wouldn't see people teaming up to collect goodies from supermarkets, put them into crates, and then give them to other people.

You will see people fighting each other for those goodies and a lot of chaos everywhere.

Edited by Badjr

lol at said idea !

HOWEVER,

A while back i logged onto a server at night time and there was a vending machine turned on inside a building in a town and it was shining out into the street and lit up like a death beacon xmas tree..

I'm guessing the guy who owned the server had mod(s) on or something.. But it scared the shit outta me so i stayed clear.. i like the vending machine idea because of this experienceBUT whats with these crates haha

lol at said idea !

HOWEVER,

A while back i logged onto a server at night time and there was a vending machine turned on inside a building in a town and it was shining out into the street and lit up like a death beacon xmas tree..

I'm guessing the guy who owned the server had mod(s) on or something.. But it scared the shit outta me so i stayed clear.. i like the vending machine idea because of this experienceBUT whats with these crates haha

Just what i had in mind. The crates are there to unlock stuff in the vending machine as you scavenge more loot from the city. Initially there will be a crate outside the supermarket and you dump more consumables into it for items to unlock in the vending machines. Think of the loot you scavenged as money and then ur shop gets upgraded with a vending machine to vend you even better loot.