NoAverageJoe

A new element of difficulty.

i read again this saying "in real life" if it was real life there would be soldiers running around long after survivors. they need to introduce AI Arma 2 soldiers in to military areas. If you think that the entire defence force would be wiped out and a bunch of civilians survived with a torch and a bandage, think again.

people need to stop saying they cant implement something because in real life it doesn't happen because in real life soldiers with medical training and weapons would be protecting whats valuable to them and everyone else killing any survivor that could possibly carry the disease.

Bring AI soldiers in to high value areas. this will stop farmers farming places as well as a great risk as well as make it more real

• Like 1

i read again this saying "in real life" if it was real life there would be soldiers running around long after survivors. they need to introduce AI Arma 2 soldiers in to military areas. If you think that the entire defence force would be wiped out and a bunch of civilians survived with a torch and a bandage, think again.

people need to stop saying they cant implement something because in real life it doesn't happen because in real life soldiers with medical training and weapons would be protecting whats valuable to them and everyone else killing any survivor that could possibly carry the disease.

Bring AI soldiers in to high value areas. this will stop farmers farming places as well as a great risk as well as make it more real

True that there would possibly be some area's that should bring in at least one stronghold with AI protection but then i don't know if that would fit in with the theme of the game as AI would be hard to balance and they could cause rage war's due to the chance of being sniped a mile away by AI (Not that it cant be done) but i think mate this should be its own thread as this is a totally different can of worms.

It just that if a player is killed by another player losing the hard earned gear, that is ok as their is a chance of returning the favour. But a AI doing this would be rage inducing (In my opinion) But raise a new thread mate and we will chat more on how this could be implemented and the pro's VS con's of such a thing then down the line we can see how it both the AI and Infection ideas can complement each other.

Best Regards

Joe

agree that people would rage if an AI killed them but say the AI weapons were half as powerful. but this would mean that people would want to work together to raid an airfield instead of going solo. if someone was shot in the airfield by an AI then why go there with such shitty weapons and alone.

Agree it could be made in to another thread as well which iI have done in the past. but reading people say in real life just annoys me. nothing in this game is realistic really.

the reason why I did post it here was because it would be a new element of difficulty. cheers for the mature reply no average jo

• Like 1

agree that people would rage if an AI killed them but say the AI weapons were half as powerful. but this would mean that people would want to work together to raid an airfield instead of going solo. if someone was shot in the airfield by an AI then why go there with such shitty weapons and alone.

Agree it could be made in to another thread as well which iI have done in the past. but reading people say in real life just annoys me. nothing in this game is realistic really.

the reason why I did post it here was because it would be a new element of difficulty. cheers for the mature reply no average jo

Yeah i get you man and that make sense :) i will word my titles better in future.

And if the suggestions link in to the initial post i made in some way then by all means dude share them :). I just want to keep a flow and theme to the posts as it would get harder to read and follow. But that's just me.

It could be implemented as a way to differentiate the site that might hold the prototype cure to the infection for players. As you say there could well be a remaining military element that would protect this and try to reverse the outbreak. With some testing and balancing...why not? :D.

• Like 1

1) I don't like the idea of having any type of A.I. with weapons. I definitely feel as if players should be the only survivors. Not to mention its perfectly plausible that civi's are the only alive as they probably would have been hiding when it all went down while soldiers were out doing the dirty work.

My reason for not liking the soldier A.I. is because if a base is guarded by soldiers, technically all you have to do is kill them all off once within a server and then the threat should no longer be there..ever. Soldiers dont magically just spawn or get dropped off there just to guard a base.

2) As mentioned in the O.P. and my thread., which the O.P. posted in to have me read his idea, players attacked by zombies or in any way contract the virus, after they die ( as long as they are not shot in the head ) their bodies would be reanimated as zombie A.I. after a certain amount of time. Their skin would change to have it resemble zombie flesh. This would be a way to realistically spawn new zombies and keep the zombie count up. Not to mention if Rocket implemented some type of character customization, it would be cool to encounter one of your old characters roaming around as a zombie. Plus it would help with players going back to their dead bodies and reacquiring their items. Goodluck hunting down your zombie character.

Not going to post all the ideas that arose within my thread but if you want check it out go ahead. As he mentioned in my thread by the O.P., not thread jacking but to see other thoughts to grow the idea. Always a chance that parts of our ideas could be implemented into the game.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/69405-dead-players-turning-to-zombies/page__st__20

Edited by Lights Out
  • Like 1

Technically, infection wuoldn't increase the longer you're in an infected area. Being in an infected area would just have a higher rate of causing infection. But after you're infected, then the disease would progress over time. I could see that worked into the code.

• Like 1

1) I don't like the idea of having any type of A.I. with weapons. I definitely feel as if players should be the only survivors. Not to mention its perfectly plausible that civi's are the only alive as they probably would have been hiding when it all went down while soldiers were out doing the dirty work.

My reason for not liking the soldier A.I. is because if a base is guarded by soldiers, technically all you have to do is kill them all off once within a server and then the threat should no longer be there..ever. Soldiers dont magically just spawn or get dropped off there just to guard a base.

2) As mentioned in the O.P. and my thread., which the O.P. posted in to have me read his idea, players attacked by zombies or in any way contract the virus, after they die ( as long as they are not shot in the head ) their bodies would be reanimated as zombie A.I. after a certain amount of time. Their skin would change to have it resemble zombie flesh. This would be a way to realistically spawn new zombies and keep the zombie count up. Not to mention if Rocket implemented some type of character customization, it would be cool to encounter one of your old characters roaming around as a zombie. Plus it would help with players going back to their dead bodies and reacquiring their items. Goodluck hunting down your zombie character.

Not going to post all the ideas that arose within my thread but if you want check it out go ahead. As he mentioned in my thread by the O.P., not thread jacking but to see other thoughts to grow the idea. Always a chance that parts of our ideas could be implemented into the game.

http://dayzmod.com/f...es/page__st__20

Hey Mate,

Thanks for your input on this and giving my thread the look over ^_^.

I agree that the A.I is something that requires its own thread to expand to see how it can complement the game and if it could be implemented. As you said it should not be a re-spawning feature as this would kills the games theme somewhat as this would be no different from most mmo's with re-spawning NPC gangs.

Some beans for you mate :thumbsup: :beans:.

Best Regards

Joe

Technically, infection wuoldn't increase the longer you're in an infected area. Being in an infected area would just have a higher rate of causing infection. But after you're infected, then the disease would progress over time. I could see that worked into the code.

Wow how did i overlook this :rolleyes:. You are 100% right mate... infected is infected progressive over time. Yup i can see that working in better with the overall theme of this idea.

Good spot, Beans for you! :thumbsup: :beans: .

Regards

Joe

Hey, dude. I really like your thoughts on this. I've had similar thoughts, and have a couple of suggestions on transmissible zombie virus infection:

1) I would like there to be different zombie virus (ZV) strains with different modes of transmission, risk of human-to-human transmission, incubation times, symptoms and different chance of spontaneous recovery. Also maybe sometimes certain animals could harbor the virus and contaminate when eaten or touched. Maybe sometimes you could get it from the flies around an infected dead player. Or from something recently touched by an infected player (fomite transmission), if the item is not wiped with alcohol first. Sometimes from being hit by a zombie, sometimes only if your skin breaks (bleeding), sometimes just from being near a zombie (airborne virus). All strains would have in common that they lead to eventual zombification if not cured or defeated by the player's immune system.

2) I would like there to be a chance for mutation of the virus, so that on a server there could emerge a new strain (random alteration of one or more of the properties described above), and such. Would lead to interesting epidemiological phenomena.

3) There should also be other more benign (non-ZV) infections such as the current pneumonia (the regular infection, I call it pneumonia as it causes cough and responds well to antibiotics). You should NOT have a notification that says you have ZV infection. The symptoms should speak for themselves. Maybe players on a particular server who have knowledge of the dominant ZV strain on that server need to be consulted (maybe via in game notes or message boards?) in order to know that you have ZV, or if your symptoms could be due to some other infection. Maybe ZV sometimes causes cough and high fever, similar at first to pneumonia, so difficult to distinguish at first (try antibiotics and see if they work?), maybe other symptoms (how about skin symptoms [rashes, tumors] only visible to other players, so you need someone to look at you to diagnose you). Maybe a late symptom could be occasional uncontrollable screaming. Or lack of nourishment from eating regular food. Time to try eating the brains of dead players instead..? Or maybe increased athletic capabilities (as our beloved zombies seem to have), possibly making keeping the infection from progressing further at this point (with antivirals) an advantage (if you can live with the uncontrollable screaming in the presence of other players ;)).

4) There should be a spawn chance of antiviral drugs (such as ribavirin, which is a real drug that has some effect on a variety of different viruses). This should only delay ZV infection (unless maybe there's a chance for a strain that is particularly vulnerable to this drug and can be cured by it). Maybe different antiviral drugs are effective only on certain strains (or sometimes a cocktail of drugs is needed for maximal effect, you would need to experiment!).

5) A real cure for the virus could be made to be a goal of a collaborative effort on a server. Maybe there could be a variety of rare items that need to be found and combined to make a cure. Another idea: Maybe one also would need a virologist in order to make the cure given all the prerequisite items. Perhaps once in a great while a player happens to spawn as a virologist (spawning in a lab coat?), a trait that gives no benefit in game except makes him/her capable of this very special role if that player chooses to use it (in the standalone there will probably be a lot of clothing options, so after changing clothes only you would know you're a virologist).

6) If you've had the virus and been cured, or have a spontaneous remission, you should be immune to reinfection by ZV (unless maybe by a very different strain on a different server). This gives a further incentive to stay alive other than the items you have (which sometimes can be reaquired, not so easy with immunity!). Also, maybe some players are immune to the disease but could be asymptomatic carriers (ala Typhoid Mary) capable of spreading infections. A band of asymptomatic carriers with a wildly transmissible strain could band together and defeat clans by infecting them (imagine asymptomatic carriers of a strain with fomite transmissible virus infiltrating an enemy base and touching everything they can, leaving loads of viruses behind..). Or maybe you could make biological weapons by dipping crossbow bolts in the blood of an infected player and shoot to infect!

7) I think this kind of variability in the features of ZV infection would lead to interesting non-PVP interaction between players (needing to share information [in game and possible on forums?], possibly cooperate to make a cure or to gather medication to delay zombification). Also it could make playing on the same server more viable, as on this server you may know more about the virus (how dangerous it is, how you can avoid getting it, what drugs you will need to cure or delay it, maybe you're already immune to this strain and so on), making server jumping more dangerous.

It may sound like I would like the game to be ALL about infection, but if there was great strain variability, then some servers could have more benign infections (less risk of transmission, longer time until zombefication, less symptoms, easy to keep in check with a more commonly available antiviral, and so on), and there the disease wouldn't play that big a role. So if players enjoy the challenges of more dangerous (and interesting) infections, they could go to servers known to be plagued by such (or maybe no one would go to such servers, I don't know!). It would at least vastly ramp up the challenge of surviving, and in an interesting manner (in my opinion, as a guy probably more interested in diseases than most people...).

Edited by Powermale
  • Like 1