Sign in to follow this  
SoWeMeetAgain

making fire - realism

Hello!

Some things that bug me about the current way to make fires:

-I need matches to build a fireplace, but I do not need matches to LIGHT said fireplace - making a fireplace should be done with wood, lighting with something like matches

-matches have infinite use, should not be that way

-matches are the only way to make a fire, but there are other ways! rubbing sticks, using hatchet/hunting knife with certain stones(flint) or firesteels(would be a new item)

greetings

• Like 1

Matches would probably have 50 uses which means you will probably die before you've used every single one of them. You won't probably use more than 1-2 sticks per game session. And at current state ammunition and such are getting reset everytime when you log in and out. Which means you will have infinite uses...

Its a game and has so many gamey aspects to it.Why not make matches once use and that they spawn everywhere at reduced rate so you need to search for them amongst other things.....

Matches would probably have 50 uses which means you will probably die before you've used every single one of them. You won't probably use more than 1-2 sticks per game session. And at current state ammunition and such are getting reset everytime when you log in and out. Which means you will have infinite uses...

well, you addressed only one part, but okay.

Even if all match boxes had ~50 uses, have you actually tried to light a camp fire with just matches? It's a pain in the ass and will probably take more than 1 match... maybe randomized 1-4. And maybe not all match boxes have 50, maybe some have 20.

Even if all match boxes had ~50 uses, have you actually tried to light a camp fire with just matches? It's a pain in the ass and will probably take more than 1 match... maybe randomized 1-4. And maybe not all match boxes have 50, maybe some have 20.

Have you actually tried to make a friction fire with just sticks and rocks? It's a pain in the ass. So is firesteel. I've tried both. I failed on the first one, second one needs lint to be most effective.

Have you actually tried to make a friction fire with just sticks and rocks? It's a pain in the ass. So is firesteel. I've tried both. I failed on the first one, second one needs lint to be most effective.

yes, you are right! another item to find, lint :D

it could take a fucking long time to do, why not? options... options!

It's easy, a handful of birch bark and a single match. You're almost guaranteed to have a camp fire.

Good suggestion by the way - with the limited about of matches per box - I like the idea that every box doesnt have 50 matches but more like 20 or something - so each time you light a fire its a big deal since your wondering is it worth using my last few matches for this

I can't say I had much of a problem with the current system. As said before you'd probably die before you use all the matches, or at least have come across more. Even a small box would have 50 odd matches in, larger ones maybe up to 100-200. I can't say in one life I've ever lit more than one fire, and for many people it'd probably be a similar case.

In what it'd take to implement this they could add something more useful that more people would agree upon. I get what you're saying but it seems a bit unnecessary imo.

i kinda just wish that zombies would take over in RL, then we can all play dayz everyday and the immersion would be insane... not to mention the graphics...

Making a fire with just sticks can be very hard and frustrating. That should be a last resort.

Matchboxes should randomly spawn with a certain amount of matches in them. For example, you could be unlucky and find a box of matches with only 1 match left in it.