MiZTiiX

economy in Day-Z?

I love that people think this is still the case :lol: Currencies today acquire value almost entirely from supply and demand (i.e. if more of a currency is demanded than supplied, its value will rise, and vice versa). It has no direct relationship with any reserves of gold; the gold standard ended long ago. I want sterling, or US dollars, or Euros, because I can exchange it for goods and services, and pay taxes with it (it's legal tender). It has value because it's in relatively short supply and high demand (it's difficult to get hold of more than I need/want to sustain my lifestyle, pay taxes, debts, fund a pension etc.; for a lot of people it's difficult to get hold of enough!).

The issue in DayZ is, as pointed out above, hacking/duping. But hacking aside it would be interesting to see what people would do with money in DayZ, if anything. It wouldn't hurt to have it there, lying around, even if you don't believe it to hold any value. You could just use it to wipe your virtual arse (and only metaphorically, at least until bodily functions make an appearance...), but I'm sure some people would want to collect it, and if it were suitably scarce it could become valuable, and worthy of exchange. As a simulation DayZ would benefit from having money, just to see what would happen.

Actually, the US economy isn't backed by gold... and many other economies are the same way.

Money is valuable because it can be traded for something of value. People see gold as valuable because it's rare, it's shiny, and it doesn't rust. There is no other value to it. Food is valuable. But, it's useless to carry around barrels of food. It would be better to carry around things that can be traded for food. So, it mostly depends on what people will accept as payment. If a resource is accepted by a lot of people to trade for other things, it is possible for it to become a currency. (Cans of beans, for example, could become a currency, if it were easier to carry them around.)

hehe, i wasn't once referring to the US (or any other country for that matter) in my post, nor was i talking about the current global economy; i was talking more about how paper money began.

its like a preprinted check - "Hi i don't have anything right now, but if you contact this bank, they will give you X coins in exchange of this promissory note."

point is, from an apocalyptic perspective, money means nothing if there is no government to back it. Imagine what the real world would be like if ALL governments ceased and anarchy ruled. No amount of paper money would buy you food, arms, or shelter.

Sure, you would have people who still think a backpack full fo the shit was valuable, but they would soon realize that they had a better chance of bargaining by kneeling in front of a zipper than with dollar bills.

You could have bills drop as loot in the game. it would add another level of meta gaming but many people would soon realize it was only good for starting fires, unless some form of government - Player or NPC came in with the promise of honoring the bills in exchange for goods.and/or labour.

Either way, unless Dayz becomes dupe and hack free and people cant farm low pop servers to horde masses of bills paper money will be just that - paper.

hehe, i wasn't once referring to the US (or any other country for that matter) in my post, nor was i talking about the current global economy; i was talking more about how paper money began.

its like a preprinted check - "Hi i don't have anything right now, but if you contact this bank, they will give you X coins in exchange of this promissory note."

point is, from an apocalyptic perspective, money means nothing if there is no government to back it. Imagine what the real world would be like if ALL governments ceased and anarchy ruled. No amount of paper money would buy you food, arms, or shelter.

Sure, you would have people who still think a backpack full fo the shit was valuable, but they would soon realize that they had a better chance of bargaining by kneeling in front of a zipper than with dollar bills.

You could have bills drop as loot in the game. it would add another level of meta gaming but many people would soon realize it was only good for starting fires, unless some form of government - Player or NPC came in with the promise of honoring the bills in exchange for goods.and/or labour.

Either way, unless Dayz becomes dupe and hack free and people cant farm low pop servers to horde masses of bills paper money will be just that - paper.

So there's nothing wrong with implementing it. Sure, it might not work, but the option within the sandbox is available.

Farming money is similar to laundering money, just easier. Who knows? Someone out there might try to stop it.

Just as a side note, why did people use gold and silver as a standard? They both are pretty useless metals, except for some few high-end science experiments. They don't actually have a use in the world, they're valuable because we deem them as valuable. Likewise, the standard in-game would mimic the gold standard, most likely the gun-ammo standard.

I'm speculating that you'd find the gun-ammo becomes a standard to base money off.

The only currency that can work in this game is already implemented.

"I offer you 3 bullets to the chest for everything you are carrying."

With no government to back money the only things with any value are consumables.

it doesn't need any government, all it needs is players that see money as a valuable option to trade with without having to actually give away one of their items that they may need

with the game becomign stand alone, hackers will be much more rare

The only currency that can work in this game is already implemented.

"I offer you 3 bullets to the chest for everything you are carrying."

and what if you were in a situation where you didn't have any bullets or you need all of your bullets? everything in your inventory YOU need to survive, what do you trade then? money can serve as that filler

and what if you were in a situation where you didn't have any bullets or you need all of your bullets? everything in your inventory YOU need to survive, what do you trade then? money can serve as that filler

hahaha, I was just kidding, I have a long story of being flamed for not liking mindless PVP. I just try to illustrate the current condition of the game. It's very rare to not have ammo in this game. You tend to find more ammo than food or other stuff. I support adding money to the game, even if it is worthless for the majority, maybe someone finds a use for it. It fits Rocket's policy of "I design the world, you design the gameplay".