Sign in to follow this  
slemjack@gmail.com

Street lights at night.

At the moment it is very hard to play while it is dark and people stop playing after 20:00 because its just not work it with the flares attracting zombies and what not.

I think that a great way to make night time more fun and give the game some great features would be if the street lights around the map would light up. It would get you a sense of direction if you saw a village in the far, just not blackness, and it would make people gather at the bigger cities at night.

Should you go near a town for the light but at the same time risk that a lot of other people are there?

I'm not saying that the cities should be light as day, not at all, but that a few of the lamps and maybe a few signs would light up so it's not in total darkness. This would make people seek shelter in cities at night just as rain makes people look for a roof.

Anyone else think this is a good idea?

/Toast

Hello,

Yes there does seem to be alot of discussion regarding the lighting at night and there in my opinion needs a to be a good balance to what you can and cant see... yes it should be dark but along the lines of what you say it could be a great idea..

some lighting in cities already exsists like the barrels on street corners that catch fire on and are lit at night..

i think a few street light could be a good way forward.. these could even be timed so certain ones are on bright and others dim and some only on for a certain amount of time.

nice idea, while still keeping the day night cycle valid.

I agree. This would be nice. Mostly for the bigger citys though. Not the little villages.

I like the idea. Since it's all post-apocalyptic just a few lights should work, some should flicker etc, it'll give it more of a abandoned feeling.

Yesterday during nighttime it was raining hard and you can't see anything at all with that combo, the human eye is capable of seeing something in the dark, not much, but more than what I saw :)

I think this idea is worth developing. It would be nice if players would be able to fix electricity and lights. You could fix power plant and then control the lights. Of course you need energy source and lights could not be on 24/7 if theres no energy. So if you want to save some you should shut the lights during day time and so on.

These kind of upgrades are be pretty complicated :D but how cool that would be!!! Actually make the city to live again! Imagine the possibilities!

I think this idea is worth developing. It would be nice if players would be able to fix electricity and lights. You could fix power plant and then control the lights. Of course you need energy source and lights could not be on 24/7 if theres no energy. So if you want to save some you should shut the lights during day time and so on.

These kind of upgrades are be pretty complicated :D but how cool that would be!!! Actually make the city to live again! Imagine the possibilities!

Where the hell would you get the coal from?

+12329473894265r896r98620946dgfhfgfg938r7348% for flickering lights and sparse dim lighting.

Like four out of 10 randomly work, two flicker, one is dim, one is normal brightness in a random pattern throughout the cities but only the big cities like Elektro/Cherno/Solnich and Berezino. I reckon you should have one or two in the starter towns on the coast as reference points.

Exactly, I'm not saying every city should just light up like an xmas tree but I feel that a few lights would add a lot of feeling and playability to the game at night. One of the best aspects of this game is the fact that everyone has to make hard decisions about risk/reward.

"Is it worth going for the food in the supermarket or is the risk too high and will i lose too much ammo?" Stuff like that is a very big part of this game and the temp system just added another aspect to that (which i love).

So why not make playing at the evening or night more acceptable with its own risks and rewards?

Also: some light could be fueled by gas, something that is already in the game but has no use unless you own a car or a chopper which most servers dont even have at this moment.

as a response to SkepticJerry I can say: who puts out all the food and items that spawn everywhere?

The Chernarus map is not an island as anyone can see and therefor there might be a world out there not part of the game but that still does something. Maybe cables from another city gives some power to parts of this area? A lot of modern cities use light sensitive sensors to detect the light of day to turn on/off street lights. It might also be that they have reserve power for emergancy buildings and functions such as hospitals, fire stations and, yes, roads and exits out of a city. :)

I thought I made a post here, I've allready posted on this topic (great mines think alike :D ) but to make the suggestion forums more stream line, I credited you for idea's that wasn't already talked about

see Sig for my post..

Bullfrog: I understand that this is part of the idea you had but I wanted to push it to an idea of its own, to show that it doesnt have to be super advanced with power plants and such. My idea is more simple but that could be advanced later on when the game is stable.

Right now some small addition of light sources would do a lot during night time and not just make people look for time-reveresed servers ;)