swayzesghost

Ladders: The true scourge of DayZ

Is there an agreed upon, proper, correct way to use a ladder without dying? No matter what I do my guy falls off as soon as he reaches the top. People say you can't do it with a pistol out but as I understand it there is no way to holster your pistol...

This engine. Can't strafe through doorways either :\

haha.. ya it's a pain in the butt, but yeah, always have your primary weapon (rifle/shotgun/etc.) out when climbing ladders.

haha.. ya it's a pain in the butt' date=' but yeah, always have your primary weapon (rifle/shotgun/etc.) out when climbing ladders.

[/quote']

And what if I don't have one?

or hit "V" right when you get to the top

I had actually tried that, but fell doing that too. I'll keep giving it a whirl...Otherwise there will soon be a hilarious youtube montage of my ladder deaths

Spamming prone generally works. Just mash the key furiously when you reach the top and it should stop you breaking your legs.

This doesn't happen in vA2' date=' right? So it is a DayZ issue only?

Has anyone reported this to dev,heaven yet?

[/quote']

No this is an Arma2 issue and not a mod issue. It happens in regular Arma2 as well. I think it is hard coded into the game. We are using Arma2 models, on Arma2 buildings with Arma2 ladders using Arma2 pistols. Falling kills you in regular Arma2 as well.

Pfff, just don't stop holding on W when you are on the top and NOTHING will happen to you. I haven't fell a single time in past 5 years.

Pfff' date=' just don't stop holding on W when you are on the top and NOTHING will happen to you. I haven't fell a single time in past 5 years.

[/quote']

It isn't just about that. Even a perfectly timed ladder climb can lead to your character falling off if you are holding a handgun. Holding the forward button doesn't always matter. SOMETIMES it does not not very often.

Also the type of material the ladder is attached to seems to matter. I am not sure if the different types of ladder materials matter either.

The act of reaching the top of the ladder and unholstering the pistol seems to almost make your character move backwards and forces you off some tops of ladders.

You just have to realize that climbing a ladder with a handgun drawn is always going to be a gamble.

It isn't just about having your pistol out. I've died twice now to ladders, both times I had my main weapon out and held down w.

Last night I fell trying to get up a hunter's stand. I took a tiny bit of damage and started bleeding, didn't have a bandage on me, ended up losing a full set of gear including an M4 with 6 mags because I couldn't get a bandage in time. Not a big fan of ladders.

Those damn stairs in barns claim alot of my blood as well, apparently a 2 foot drop is too much for my osteoporosis ridden legs to handle

Pfff' date=' just don't stop holding on W when you are on the top and NOTHING will happen to you. I haven't fell a single time in past 5 years.

[/quote']

It's not just holding W. I've been holding W every time. Do you look up in the air? at an angle? straight forward?

This doesn't happen in vA2' date=' right? So it is a DayZ issue only?

Has anyone reported this to dev,heaven yet?

[/quote']

No this is an Arma2 issue and not a mod issue. It happens in regular Arma2 as well. I think it is hard coded into the game. We are using Arma2 models, on Arma2 buildings with Arma2 ladders using Arma2 pistols. Falling kills you in regular Arma2 as well.

Now that I think about it, I think I haven't climbed ladders in vA2 with a pistol in my hand.

Anyway, I am more scared of ladders in this game than Zombies.

Never had a problem with ladders. I just take them very seriously.

Confirmed in last play that spamming crouch or prone a lot when you dismount the ladder helps.

Never EVER climb a ladder while holding a pistol or you will most likely fall off. Equip a primary weapon and your chances of falling off the laddder will be reduced dramatically, but never elimated completely. It also depends on the ladder. Some ladders are more bugged than others.

Note that the deadliest enemy in ArmA is a ladder, due to the inability to defend yourself against one. Whenever you go up a ladder, you are gambling with your life. If I had to choose between going UP a ladder leading to lots of loot, or going DOWN a ladder leading into a zombie horde, I'd choose the latter.

Aargh. Just died from a ladder, wish I had knew this before. They're indeed more deadlier then infected. Learned my lesson, will never ever use a ladder again in game, no matter what the loot up there could be (I don't remember them being that problematic in A2 gameplay)

That's really one of that very very bad things about the A2 engine (if that's the source of the problem as people here say), I hope they fix this in A3.

To climb a ladder without fear:

- If you have a primary weapon, get it out, then lower it by pressing CTRL twice.

- If you do NOT have a primary weapon (ie. only a pistol), drop your secondary on the ground before climbing.

I've never had a problem using this method.

The issue is that when you get to the top and exit the 'climbing' animation, your gun hits the edge of the top of the ladder, and pushes you back off. Hence, you need to have a lowered weapon. Unfortunately, pistols can't be lowered, so you need to drop them on the ground. And, yes, this is an issue stemming from Arma2, not DayZ.

I broke my legs from opening a door.

I can top that, I killed myself by opening a door on myself which crushed me against the wall.

:D

I also broke a friends leg by lying down near him ;)!

I'm so freaking boss it's unreal.

I can top that' date=' I killed myself by opening a door on myself which crushed me against the wall.

[/quote']

My friend was telling me yesterday how he went to vault over a low wall or fence and somehow engaged a phantom jetpack and went flying through the air slap bang into the rear wall of the house he was trying to get into, Wile-E Coyote style.

I survived being shot in the head from another friend's winchester while we were trying to clear a field of zambies that we'd pissed off.

Then a day later I climbed up a deer stand, got to the top, decided to come down with a massive case of Jack Carver syndrome and promptly fell off, broke enough bones to make me sound like a disassembled bag of lego bricks when i moved, vomited up my insides and died.

After finding out I have a titanium skull, that was not a dignified way to go.

only ones ive had problems with is the hunting stands, the opening at the top isnt big enough to get past