Sign in to follow this  
Seiseki

Persistent Karma system (bandit status after respawn)

Now, there is no need to get upset about an idea so take it easy.

That said, it would be interesting to consider having a persistent system that flags you as hero, survivor, bandit even after death.

And by flag I mean somehow allowing players to tell what karma/humanity you are at.

It is not a penalty, it is simply a way to tell what kind of player your are, it is up to other players to judge and take action.

Currently there are not any real consequences to being a bandit, if you die you start of fresh and you can easily just play as a friendly as it suits you.

A persistent system would allow players themselves to police the servers and bandits could be KOS, even when they spawn with nothing.

EVE online uses a system like this, it works and it keeps the player killing hardcore, as it should be, rather than everyone and their dog being a bandit.

This could bring back some level of trust to the game, which it badly needs to give more variety to the human interaction, because it is about so much more than just killing each other.

Of course, this makes it hard to actually start over, but being a bandit should not be a light decision taken on a whim, for benefit or for personal satisfaction.

You want to be a bandit, better be ready to stand up for it and take the consequences.

Edited by Seiseki
  • Like 3

I want to be a survivor, what benefits do I get?

trust is earned even in game, You don't willy nilly with new players without watching your back.

• Like 1

i think the game already does this? not too sure, but i know i still have the heartbeat of a madman even after death

I want to be a survivor, what benefits do I get?

trust is earned even in game, You don't willy nilly with new players without watching your back.

Well, if a player sees that you're not a bandit, then perhaps he won't shoot you.

It's completely up to players themselves, as it should be.

I know there are a lot of players that despise bandits though, this would give those players a chance to fight back.

And it would make bandits feel more special and hardcore, you'll probably always be a target.

The only ones who lose are the bandits who does not want to stand for their actions.

Well, if a player sees that you're not a bandit, then perhaps he won't shoot you.

It's completely up to players themselves, as it should be.

I know there are a lot of players that despise bandits though, this would give those players a chance to fight back.

And it would make bandits feel more special and hardcore, you'll probably always be a target.

The only ones who lose are the bandits who does not want to stand for their actions.

How would a player see I'm not a bandit? Fresh spawns can be bandits!

Bandits are a main focus on the MOD, some players need to read the main page on Dayzmod.com (Step2) Fighting back is Part of the learning process IMO.

If you want to feel special and hardcore in a game, buy a t shirt. no, seriously, the minute you add special features for a certain play style you make the Mod mainstream, would you like doctors clothing for medics? perhaps a red stick of dynamite for engineers?, and the tension of meeting players is a huge part of the MOD. You know he feeling "Oh shit"

Some things do not need to be added to the MOD, or you'll turn it into a clone of something else. DayZ is unique, let it stay that way.

No offence meant.

Bandits are not the main focus on the mod.

Human interaction and evoking emotions is.

This includes all types and not just killing people.

In real life killing people has consequences, in-game you can just log-off or switch server.

It is also impossible to remember faces and who is who with name tags off.

Some things do need to be added to the MOD for balance.

Yes, fresh spawns can still be bandits, bandits can still be friendly and heroes can still kill.

This is the way it should be to keep some of the tension and make human interaction less certain.

Rocket has stated over and over that he wants players to take matters into their own hands when it comes to bandits.

But we need the tools to do so, even if they are kinda unrealistic, they do provide new and interesting dynamics.

It's all about consequences and people interacting with each other, without a karma system the interaction is limited to KOS for safety.

• Like 2

the minute you add special features for a certain play style you make the Mod mainstream

Yeah, we should leave out the bandit skins so you can be all hipster and feel speshul. Cringe.

I think the game is already mainstream in a way, because it has turned into a killing simulator with zombies instead of a hardcore survival sim.

A karma system wouldn't be a special feature for a playstyle, it would be a tool for player policing and judging others. Something that currently does not exist in any larger form.

People should be encourage to take the law into their own hands, right now it's much too biased towards the bandit side.

Edited by Seiseki
  • Like 1

I totally agree with this thread post. Hands down, they need to incorporate that sort of thing so that when someone who just runs around acting like a moron killing people gets that label on their next life. It would be an interesting mechanic and would improve the gameplay dramatically.

I have mixed feelings about bandits and all. Not everyone is camping douche and not everyone do KoS. So how about players that DO NOT kill on sight wear some kind of scarf or easily visible arm (yellow, blue whatever) ''elmblem'' or something that players would voluntarily wear? (as to say, I can kill but Im not KoS)

As of to prevent abuse, it would have to be made that if your count reach 3 murders or so, the ***insert the textured item here*** would dissapear?

Ps - NOT hating on bandits but sometimes ppl really do shoot you for no fookin no good reason whasoever...like just to waste your time and shit

Edited by Colonel-Wicked

I have mixed feelings about bandits and all. Not everyone is camping douche and not everyone do KoS. So how about players that DO NOT kill on sight wear some kind of scarf or easily visible arm (yellow, blue whatever) ''elmblem'' or something that players would voluntarily wear? (as to say, I can kill but Im not KoS)

As of to prevent abuse, it would have to be made that if your count reach 3 murders or so, the ***insert the textured item here*** would dissapear?

Ps - NOT hating on bandits but sometimes ppl really do shoot you for no fookin no good reason whasoever...like just to waste your time and shit

So you want bandit scarfs. But only as an option for players who aren't bandits.

Bandit skins worked like this in the past already and if rocket changes this he doesnt even need to bother re-implementing them.

If bandit status is reset after death It will be quite inefective in preventing exesive killing (supposing thats the reasons to put them back in).

Edited by Knollte

the only downside being that some magical statistic can't tell the intent of a "murder"

someone takes a potshot at me from a window, i nicely place his brains on the wall behind him...i'm a murderererer.

the only downside being that some magical statistic can't tell the intent of a "murder"

someone takes a potshot at me from a window, i nicely place his brains on the wall behind him...i'm a murderererer.

It was that way with bandit skins in the begining because of the persistance and DayZ´s one acount functionality people who randomly shot strangers such things would sort themself out quite fast because griefers where so deep in the negative pretty fast.

In the end the very simply system proved more effective than alot of the sophisticated system i´ve seen in MMO (Eve online ,UO second age),

I think thats because you have only one character in DayZ (and its the reason there is so much opposition against bandit identifiers).

Saddly I believe alot of the mechanics to allow self defense would only be abused by griefers.

Edited by Knollte

Persistent karma should fix almost everything. You get +100 points for killing a bandit, -100 points for killing a survivor. If you have less than 0, you are a bandit.

That would

1) make the game more fun for bandits (higher stakes)

2) make the game more fun for survivors (more social interaction, less fear of the random stranger, more clear terms of engagement)

What about camo and ghillie suits? I'm not sure. It sounds reasonable to treat anyone wearing them as a bandit, that would also

be a reason to keep your civilian clothing on you and switch when entering a populated area.