Sign in to follow this  
Travis31

Combat logging: Am I guilty or innocent?

Best situations are like this. One time me and my friend saw two ghillie suited guys with rifles near that big airfield. They spotted us too, and because we were too scared, we just camped in the forest. And so did they. It lasted 15 to 20 minutes, only waiting and watching just to see movement behind trees and get something to shoot. Both groups were too scared to move or do anything. Game of patience I'd say. We just stayed quiet, and after that tense 15 minutes they thought we were gone, and moved on. Whole situation was all about being still and waiting, and I still had most tense game scenario ever.

Guilty on 1 count of server hopping to find loot, and one count of Combat DC. When in a firefight, or potential fight like this, you should pay attention to people "losing connection". This is an early indicator of ghosting.

Either that or fall back and get your back against a wall. Preventing him from ghosting behind you.

Travis, anyone who tells you that you should feel bad or are "doing it wrong" only has the right to say so if they have never logged out of a server, except to go to bed! Just do the best you can, friend. :thumbsup:

dont sweat it, you are under no oblgation to stay logged in any longer then you wish..

your reasons for logging in/out are your own..

until a system comes in that has a combat/aggro log timer, play as you wish..

its not your problem to determine if someone is stalking you or not..

It isn't your problem?

So you don't think it is any of your business if someone is following you to try and do something about it? Considering you are a target I would say it most certainly is your problem.

I'm not saying it is a perfect scenario, but if you log out for fear of getting shot, then that just takes everything away from this game. I'm not saying that he should stay logged in just because he hears gunshots, but if he wasn't going to log out, and the shooting changed his mind, well there isn't a difference between that and people that DC during a fight. It has only been done to avoid dying.

So until a system comes that penalises you for doing something cheap, keep disconnecting to save yourself for a little while longer? Yeah, that's the way to play,

"It's not cheating if there isn't a mechanic to stop you" Great advice there, something everyone can learn from.

But what if they were ghosting? Is it really patience to watch the one entrance, knowing I would win in a fair fight, only to have someone log in behind me or into one of the side rooms?

Sorry, but "If you can't beat them, join them" has always been, is, and will always be a very stupid and egoistic argument when it comes to cheats and exploits.

dont sweat it, you are under no oblgation to stay logged in any longer then you wish..

your reasons for logging in/out are your own..

until a system comes in that has a combat/aggro log timer, play as you wish..

its not your problem to determine if someone is stalking you or not..

So you are a blatantly breaking a rule of the game that Rocket, himself, said you can get banned for, and you are exploiting a game mechanic, and you think that's okay?

I suppose that's true. If i'm intentionally server hopping like this, eh? You would suggest finding one server and always playing on that one server then?

There's a difference between playing on numerous servers and hopping between servers to get loot.

This is my thought. I feel dirty, but somehow also justified. Besides, it's not my job to stay logged in just because i hear shots. Hell, i don't even know if they were aimed at me, but i know the other guy sure as hell heard the 6 shots i squeezed killing the 4 zombies that waltzed their way up into the apt.

You sir are acting like a pussy. Try communicate with the other person, ask if theyre friendly or not. If not, kill them.

Disconnecting to avoid death is serverely frowned upon in this game.

Sorry, but "If you can't beat them, join them" has always been, is, and will always be a very stupid and egoistic argument when it comes to cheats and exploits.

But i didn't ghost...? Not just you, but a lot of people seem to miss the fact that i had the superior ground. Or ignore it. Or perhaps i just think it makes the difference, and no one else does? A lot of the extreme "you are guilty" rhetoric makes it sound like the noble thing is to never log out and play 24/7. There has to be a realistic expectation of when one CAN log out. And avoidance of an exploit isn't an exploit necessarily...

Guilty on 1 count of server hopping to find loot, and one count of Combat DC. When in a firefight, or potential fight like this, you should pay attention to people "losing connection". This is an early indicator of ghosting.

Either that or fall back and get your back against a wall. Preventing him from ghosting behind you.

Everything is a potential firefight. Zombies are potential firefights. Such an open ended, vague call to stay logged on is a bit blinded by ideals. Losing connection? I only ever see that when the host is lagging a bit, and everyone gets hit at once with the line. I've never seen it elsewhere.

But i didn't ghost...? Not just you, but a lot of people seem to miss the fact that i had the superior ground. Or ignore it. Or perhaps i just think it makes the difference, and no one else does? A lot of the extreme "you are guilty" rhetoric makes it sound like the noble thing is to never log out and play 24/7. There has to be a realistic expectation of when one CAN log out. And avoidance of an exploit isn't an exploit necessarily...

It's is generally accepted that once you are disengaged with whatever threat you are experiencing, then are free to log out. Obviously, real life situations arise, but this wasn't one. Once you know the player is dead, or you or they have run away to a safe distance, then feel free to log out. Until then, you are engaged with the other players, and logging out during that engagement is considered combat logging.

It's is generally accepted that once you are disengaged with whatever threat you are experiencing, then are free to log out. Obviously, real life situations arise, but this wasn't one. Once you know the player is dead, or you or they have run away to a safe distance, then feel free to log out. Until then, you are engaged with the other players, and logging out during that engagement is considered combat logging.

I feel that unless you where shot at, it really isn't combat logging. Think of it this way. Its like a sniper stalking a player. This sniper fired shots at another player earlier, and this player realizes hes there. If that sniper is just watching a player, and right as he is about to take a shot, he logs out, is that combat logging? The player doesn't know if he was targeted or not. He wasn't in danger really, other than being ghosted. I really don't give a shit what he does anyways. If i was in his situation, i would have tried to kill the guy, being i had the advantage of high ground.

Edited by JESUSARIUS REX

I feel that unless you where shot at, it really isn't combat logging. Think of it this way. Its like a sniper stalking a player. This sniper fired shots at another player earlier, and this player realizes hes there. If that sniper is just watching a player, and right as he is about to take a shot, he logs out, is that combat logging? The player doesn't know if he was targeted or not. He wasn't in danger really, other than being ghosted. I really don't give a shit what he does anyways. If i was in his situation, i would have tried to kill the guy, being i had the advantage of high ground.

That's why I said if you run a safe distance away. Obviously, if they are stalking you, and you don't know, you are free to do whatever you please. But if they start shooting at you, it is your obligation to run or fight. Again, real life situations do not apply. They are extenuating circumstances.

guilty..server hopping, dc i'd say guilty too but it wasn't a proper combat log, more a shit my pant log..

That's why I said if you run a safe distance away. Obviously, if they are stalking you, and you don't know, you are free to do whatever you please. But if they start shooting at you, it is your obligation to run or fight. Again, real life situations do not apply. They are extenuating circumstances.

True. But honestly, people give way to much of shit what others do. So what if they dupe, so what if they dc. That will be fixed in the standalone anyways. Only thing i care about is hackers, because modifying the game is always an asshole move. I just play the game the way I do, and if i shoot someone, and they disconnect, well then i either run away so they don't ghost me, or get them banned simple as that lol.

Guilty as sin lol!!!

I've done it twice, once alt + f4 which spawned me back in Cherno, got sniped trying to leave town so hot my just deserts I guess.

Second last night up near Stary, I'd dropped my AK to get my axe out to kill a zed in a shack for a can of coke, miles put of town. As soon as I did bullets pinged all around me in the dirt, so I panicked and quit to lobby. From others who dropped back I'm sure there was four of them so I stood no chance staying. Again my punishment is only having an uzi and five bullets to go to the NW Airfield. Doh...