Sign in to follow this  
Travis31

Combat logging: Am I guilty or innocent?

As people say, don't get attached to the gear.

You are the kind of person that destroys the beauty of this game, have patience!

Edited by Majkman

I get the same as you, my heart starts racing and sometimes it just happens ;l

If you did not enter the building planning to log off then my opinion is: never. Wait, or clear the situation.

Just my opinion, if waiting for minutes while thinking about all possible moves and consequences is nothing you like then in my humble opinion this is not the right game for you.

This makes sense. Of course we can never truly know what is going on in other peoples heads (but guess at it through the fallacy of false attribution), but we will our own. You're right; i did not go into that building to log off. This is probably why although I felt justified somewhat, I also felt a little dirty. Someone mentioned that I used the ghosting fear as an excuse to do this. That's only partly true; the way i justified it was me having the high ground. I would see a head long before a rifle followed. The ghosting was the catalyst; it was the combination of needing to act and being unable to do so save sit and wait, backed into a corner as I was. I still feel like it makes sense, though, that at some point, this will cross from 'combat logging' to legitimate logging. But I at least know your opinion is that that point will never come.

• Like 1

I suppose that's true. If i'm intentionally server hopping like this, eh? You would suggest finding one server and always playing on that one server then?

I never said that you needed to stay on one server. I go to different servers on different days. But there is a difference between switching servers and server hopping.

As people say, don't get attached to the gear.

You are the kind of person that destroys the beauty of this game, have patience!

It's not the gear i'm necessarily attached to, it's the time it would take to gather it all back up. I suppose that's practically the same thing though, eh?

I've had a similar situation happen to me as well. One time me and my buddies were looting the NW airfield, and I was running sniper overwatch. I had eyes on nearly the whole airfield, but somehow someone slipped underneath my radar and killed my friend with a sniper rifle. I didn't even hear the shot, I just saw him drop dead. The rest of my squad ran for cover and off the airfield, but I remained and watched my buddy's corpse as I wasn't about to leave his gear behind. 5 minutes later, nothing. No sign of the sniper. 5 minutes after that, still no sign, considering following the rest of my squad and just leaving the body as it is too risky to go loot his corpse with a sniper somewhere on the airfield, even if he logged or moved off. 5 minutes after that, a total of 15 minutes of staring at my friend's corpse, I see a player running across the airfield. Same guy that killed my buddy, died to my bullet because his patience ran out before mine. :P

You are guilty of server hopping in the least, and I think logging because you hear shots and think the other player is ghosting qualifies as combat logging as well. Just my opinion here.

• Like 1

I never said that you needed to stay on one server. I go to different servers on different days. But there is a difference between switching servers and server hopping.

Indeed. The sway of high value, close proximity loot targets and hopping between low populations servers was a temptation i gave into a time or two before, as well. >_> I've been from the coast to the NW airfield 3 times already though; so does that justify my server hopping at all? It was all to get my friend a ghille! >w< (I realize i'm 100% guilty of server hopping; now it's just a matter of rationalizing the bad feelings away, eh? >_>)

Indeed. The sway of high value, close proximity loot targets and hopping between low populations servers was a temptation i gave into a time or two before, as well. >_> I've been from the coast to the NW airfield 3 times already though; so does that justify my server hopping at all? It was all to get my friend a ghille! >w< (I realize i'm 100% guilty of server hopping; now it's just a matter of rationalizing the bad feelings away, eh? >_>)

Listen, you seem like a good guy, and you were doing it for a good cause, and the temptation is very high. So long as you are sorry for it, and you will try not to do it again, all is good. I mean, it's not like you hacked.

I've had a similar situation happen to me as well. One time me and my buddies were looting the NW airfield, and I was running sniper overwatch. I had eyes on nearly the whole airfield, but somehow someone slipped underneath my radar and killed my friend with a sniper rifle. I didn't even hear the shot, I just saw him drop dead. The rest of my squad ran for cover and off the airfield, but I remained and watched my buddy's corpse as I wasn't about to leave his gear behind. 5 minutes later, nothing. No sign of the sniper. 5 minutes after that, still no sign, considering following the rest of my squad and just leaving the body as it is too risky to go loot his corpse with a sniper somewhere on the airfield, even if he logged or moved off. 5 minutes after that, a total of 15 minutes of staring at my friend's corpse, I see a player running across the airfield. Same guy that killed my buddy, died to my bullet because his patience ran out before mine. :P

You are guilty of server hopping in the least, and I think logging because you hear shots and think the other player is ghosting qualifies as combat logging as well. Just my opinion here.

The community is speaking quite negatively of me. :) The scorn too, of being told that the game is not for me. At very least, this thread has helped bolster my confidence to hold onto a tense situation at least a little longer. It's easier to be a sniper, holding out in one position, compared to a sort of mexican stand off It sounds like you had the high ground like i did, as well, but also the element of surprise. I suppose the lesson you're trying to embolden me with is something along the lines of "If you have the high ground, wait and use it" eh? I unfortunately didn't have the element of surprise and that is what ate at me.

Listen, you seem like a good guy, and you were doing it for a good cause, and the temptation is very high. So long as you are sorry for it, and you will try not to do it again, all is good. I mean, it's not like you hacked.

Haha. Indeed it is not like that at all. But darn those low spawn percents!

Travis31, you have pleaded guilty to the charges brought by this court, and it is now my duty to pass sentence. You are an habitual criminal, who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard, and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner. We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences; your beans will go to prison for five years.

You did nothing wrong. You suspected the enemy of using a different server to move behind you, which IMO is an exploit. It shouldn’t even be possible to login close to other players, it’s a broken feature of this mod. In my opinion disconnecting to avoid being killed by a cheater or exploiter is fair.

Personally I think the server hopping is just as bad as combat logging.

If you want items go look for them, tought it out like a Survivor. Dont magically teleport around like a scared Bandit ninja.

This is my thought. I feel dirty, but somehow also justified. Besides, it's not my job to stay logged in just because i hear shots. Hell, i don't even know if they were aimed at me, but i know the other guy sure as hell heard the 6 shots i squeezed killing the 4 zombies that waltzed their way up into the apt.

dont sweat it, you are under no oblgation to stay logged in any longer then you wish..

your reasons for logging in/out are your own..

until a system comes in that has a combat/aggro log timer, play as you wish..

its not your problem to determine if someone is stalking you or not..

Edited by Siberian

I cant say I blame you at all. I would still feel a bit dirty, but I imagine most playing this game have done something considered cheap at one point or another :)

alot of the server hopping stuff is because of the issues with gamespy and the sixlauncher, if I only played on the servers which admins had actually responded to PMs/have good ping/no dumb -1000 FPS issues then i'd be on twice a week... maybe.

I've always hung about in the PvP sandbox end of the playground and I'd be the last person to deny someone they're hard earned lewts :) but if the pizza hut delivery arrives while someone, somewhere is shooting at... something, dont expect me to hang around just because you might be shooting at me.

there will be a fix for this alt-f4ing, some folks will leave no doubt but the DayZ experience will be more authentic (IMO anyway.)

• Like 2

I've always hung about in the PvP sandbox end of the playground and I'd be the last person to deny someone they're hard earned lewts :) but if the pizza hut delivery arrives while someone, somewhere is shooting at... something, dont expect me to hang around just because you might be shooting at me.

^^^ this guy^^^ gets it..

but if the pizza hut delivery arrives while someone, somewhere is shooting at... something, dont expect me to hang around just because you might be shooting at me.

I learnt that the hard way.

"pizza delivery for I.C Wiener"

run downstairs for pizza

come back up

Brains are being munched on....DAFUQ ZOMBIES!?!?!?YOU AINT PLAYER!!1

Play with bassy headphones with amplifier, Playing on loud and hear every footstep loudly.

me and friend find heli crash site

He picks up M107 and shoots.

change underwear

The whole secret to the DayZ experience boils down to this: It's not about the gear. It's about the situations.

Too many people spend hours and days racing from the coast to the NW Airfield, hopping from server to server (only the ones with 0 players) and duping the shit out of their AS50 and ghillie suit so they can... what? Sit in a bush and shoot people until they die and repeat the whole process?

You were in a golden situation in the game. You were finally experiencing the emotional charge that DayZ was designed to deliver. You were in danger, you didn't know how to get out and you didn't know what you were going to do. Instead of embracing that, you Alt-F4'ed. You cheated yourself out of the greatest moments this game can offer - because you didn't want to lose a gun.

I kill people with a Makarov. A hatchet. An Ak-74. You don't need nightvision and a thermographic scope "for spotting" just to survive. It's a myth, one generated by wimps who are afraid to experience the uncertainty and thrill of victory against all odds that DayZ is built around. They're the wimps who load in with some mutated conception that this mod is somehow "winnable", and that having the biggest gun and most tools is how you win. That having 5 tents filled with crap they'll never actually use is going to give them an advantage.

You, sir, are playing like a wimp. Man up and accept everything DayZ offers. Live or die, you will have more fun that way.

• Like 2

Changing server is really a problem ,because of updates Im never in the same server twice each time i login to the game ! Not through choice really but because I cant remember the name of the last server I played on !

Last night I attempted my long trek to rescue my cousin at the north west airfield, however I spawned in cherno and went to raid a pub hoping to find an alice and or a compass and matches then get the hell out !

I was in the pub with nothing but my bandage and my painkillers and was brutally gunned down at point blank range by a guy with an AK !

is there no mercy ?

Spawned again along the coast just east of Electro and went into that power station with the fire station , seen a guy getting mauled by zombies he went unconscious , went to bandage him , and over direct comms said " yo you need a bandage friend , i can help" was in the middle of bandaging him and his friend with a M4 shot me down for helping his friend !

Seems there is no helping some people , both times I was unarmed , I only logged in last night to rescue my cousin from starvation and blood loss , I wandered without a compass almost in a complete circle from salinchy on the east coast back to where I started hahaha found a bear trap and tried to set it up then broke my leg !

So after about three hourse I found all the survival gear I need but ended back up at the coast and had to go loot my own corpse !

So tonight im on the epic , avoid everyone quest to make it to the NW airfield to save my cousin !

Guilty.

You thought you were in danger and disconnected to avoid it.