[sot]sqwurl

2 guys on virginia 20 shooting people in the loading area

Even in an Alpha exploiting the game in this fashion is unacceptable.

Tell me this. Do you think Vehicle Spawn and Weapon Spawn hackers should be Banned? And do you think rocket is wrong for the bans he has allready placed for them? Because I don't see how these guys are any different. They're using a hole in the game to give themselves a massive advantage(Which is clearly against the conduct rules that the development team has put in place). Not only that but their intentionally causing inevitable loss for all of the people who they are killing.

There is a huge difference between testing a game for exploits and then actively using those exploits. If they reported the exploit when they found it' date=' and it's in the process of being fixed, then I say fuck it. Let them have fun with the hole they found and helped patch. If they're milking this for all they can though, I say fuck them. They're making more work for the development team, and just pissing people off.

[/quote']Oh great another one of you guys who think using a 3rd party cheat is the same as taking advantage of an exploit in the game.....

That speaks infinitely to how distorted and biased your views are on the subject.

Saying that people who use exploits deserve praise since they progress bug fixes is an ignorant way to justify cheating. And yes' date=' it does deserve a ban. Had the people using this exploit simply done it one time and reported it, that would have been incredible. Instead they murdered everybody in attempt to grief players and take their beans. It's unjustifiable regardless of the games state.

[/quote']Exploiting is not cheating, it's on a fine line with it but it is absolutely not cheating.

Myself and many others are getting sick of all the god damn ignorance around here' date=' if you don't know what you are talking about it's best to not talk at all.

[/quote']

While myself and undoubtedly others am getting sick of all the god damn elitism around here.

People abusing bugs/unfinished features, which is what is going on here, is detrimental to the health of this mod. I would certainly approve of temp bans fopr this, if the infrastructure is in place to support it.

Either way it is a very cheap thing to do.

While myself and undoubtedly others am getting sick of all the god damn elitism around here.

People abusing bugs/unfinished features' date=' which is what is going on here, is detrimental to the health of this mod. I would certainly approve of temp bans fopr this, if the infrastructure is in place to support it.

Either way it is a very cheap thing to do.

[/quote']It's not elitism, when someone knows more than you it's easy to just get pissed off and chalk it up as elitism because you think it somehow invalidates what they are saying, well it doesn't. Right is right and no matter how far you try to dilute that it still stands resolute regardless of your in vain attempts. Educated people can see through the transparency and holes in the argument like they are looking at glass.

This is the very definition of an exploit.

Bugs and exploits are not mutually exclusive; rather, exploitation occurs when someone takes advantage of a bug.

An exploit (from the verb to exploit, in the meaning of using something to one’s own advantage) is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behaviour to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electronic (usually computerised).

If these people were truly doing something noble, they would have come to the forum after discovering that they were able to do this rather than use it against multiple people. While it does help to discover issues like this, it does not help to use it as a means to grief people.

Having people banned, warned, named & shamed is standard fare as far as exploits go in online games (this one included, see: people being banned for spawning jets/weapons) both before and after official release. Ultimately any sort of action depends on the severity of the case, but you shouldn't just let people off because "beta is beta" (or alpha is alpha) especially when you've got a fairly sizable player base.

Protecting the player base, is, after all, what this sort of action aims to achieve.

Educated people can see through the transparency and holes in the argument like they are looking at glass.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Ignore lists are such a useful feature.

This exploit needs to be fixed, I am noticed it happen twice yesterday (on a much smaller scale). Hopefully the next patch will fix it.

This is the very definition of an exploit.

Bugs and exploits are not mutually exclusive; rather' date=' exploitation occurs when someone takes advantage of a bug.

An exploit (from the verb to exploit, in the meaning of using something to one’s own advantage) is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behaviour to occur on computer software, hardware, or something electronic (usually computerised).

If these people were truly doing something noble, they would have come to the forum after discovering that they were able to do this rather than use it against multiple people. While it does help to discover issues like this, it does not help to use it as a means to grief people.

Having people banned, warned, named & shamed is standard fare as far as exploits go in online games (this one included, see: people being banned for spawning jets/weapons) both before and after official release. Ultimately any sort of action depends on the severity of the case, but you shouldn't just let people off because "beta is beta" (or alpha is alpha) especially when you've got a fairly sizable player base.

Protecting the player base, is, after all, what this sort of action aims to achieve.

I'm quite well aware of what exploits are, I have been using them in online games for nearly the past 15 years. I have a very stern outlook on cheating and am 100% against it, out of all the people I know I actually have one of the harshest views on the subject but I by no means hold that same outlook for exploiting.

It may not be something in the game which is intended by the developer to happen but intention is entirely subjective to each player and how they want to play the game unless globally specified somewhere. The reason people are not banned for exploits on a game level in nearly every game is because you are not actually doing anything wrong.

You may not be playing the game in a way that is viewed as intended but you are simply playing it as it is coded and using everything you are capable of at your disposal in the game without crossing the line into actually running a cheat.

I have been having this debate for the last 11+ years in the Counter-Strike community. I bunny hop, russian walk (exploit which distorts hitboxes with the model), fast weapon switch, look below smoke grenades for foot movement etc. Is that cheating? No, it's just me playing the game in a way which gives me a built in advantage that others are not using. Regardless of how scummy people may view me they personally choose to not do it and as such get rolled on as a result.

I have very high moral values and as far as I am concerned and see it I am playing games as they are, I am not doing anything else with the software except playing it just as you are. The only difference is you do not take things as far as me or others and that is your own personal prerogative. Don't judge people just because they advance further into the game mechanics than you, if the developer has an issue they will patch it out, if they do not it will remain and it will be used.

Wow, gotta love the retards in here actually DEFENDING people who downright exploit. I guess that says something about the kinds of people this mod attracts.

Comparing Bunny hopping /Russian walk to shooting people in the debug forest to take their loot?

Really? Are you sure you feel thats a valid comparison..

I guess you must do, since youve written it.. But. Sigh.

One is actually a 'skill' or a 'move' you have to do which gives you the benefit of speed/silence ingame.. Your just tapping a key.. Its not actually 'exploiting' any game mechanics.

The 'debug plains/forest' is an out-of-bounds area in dayz filled with placeholder AI, that's PRETTY OBVIOUS your not supposed to be in... That you only get into, in certain circumstances..

So, its hardly a comparable sitatution is it?

The Competitive Css arguement is, that it's a more competitive playstyle... Explaining how to kit your 'clan' out with phat-lewts by exploiting the bug - you can't really use that as a valid arguement here,

I'm sure you'll find a way to rationalise it because you obviously feel the need to defend your 'ehonorz' or whatever... But they're not even remotely similar.

Furthermore i've been into the debug plains and used the people spawning as target practice (sorry if it adversely affected their characters.. But what can i say, i was just fucking about. Harsh times.)

Had the same thing happen to me on a Virgina server, i stay clear of them now.

a bunch of dumb shit.

You are flat out wrong and the devs disagree with you.

Btw, if the exploits give you an unfair unintended disadvantage in an online game, it is 100% cheating, that's not a debate that's a fact. It's no different then hacking the game, you're abusing the coding in both scenarios in a way the devs did not mean for it to happen.

The first time I spawned in the debug forest I immediately shot the two players I saw there, to be honest. At that time I didn't know that what happened there was saved into the game, though.

From my experience you seem to end up in the debug forest when a server is performing poorly, so me and my friends tend to switch servers if it's taking more than a few minutes to get into the game to avoid losing our gear there.

So you understand that killing is apart of the game yet you complain about someone killing you??? I R Confuzzled.

Yeah, killing someone in a bugged area where he's practically defenseless is a part of the game ... I guess that you also think it's a part of the game to join server B to get behind other players defending an area, then join back to server A and kill them?

Rocket posted in the announcements that this exploit is cheating and warrants a minimum of a week ban.

There is no discussion to be had here. Its against the rule, bannable. If you'd gotten a screenshot, it could have been taken care of.

Everyone just calm down.

This is a mod of ArmA2, where I died during cutscenes and broke the game due to bad ai pilots, explosive events and more.

Being killed while loading? I should be so lucky.

It may not be something in the game which is intended by the developer to happen but intention is entirely subjective to each player and how they want to play the game unless globally specified somewhere. The reason people are not banned for exploits on a game level in nearly every game is because you are not actually doing anything wrong.

Fucking idiot...

People do get banned for this in nearly every other game out there.

So what are you saying about exploits now Nya? The dev view about exploits and cheating seems pretty clear in this statement: "This IS considered an exploit therefor you will be punished for it.". I'd suggest rethinking your stance about exploits in the context of DayZ: they're not welcome here and I'm glad that it's the case. Using exploits add nothing to a mod which is trying to create an immersive experience, it will just diminish the experience.