FuzzyPooka

DayZ for Counsoles :]

I'm sorry. I had too. I created this post because my ideas are buried In hundreds of pages of scoffing, ignored by the masses. So, let's begin.

[Disclaimer:] I get it. In the comments, politely refrain from bashing consoles. You "Mature" PC players can hold you scoffing. I want you too tell me if this is a good idea, expand it or politely leave. Counsoles don't ruin games. They expand them, to more audiences. I play on both, and love both. Now.

THIS WON'T WORK!!! How so?

Too technologically impressive. True. True. But, the next-generation console are looming. Microsofts new Console is rumored to have the power to run Arma. We can handle the scale. We can handle the graphics. We can handle the players. MAG has nearly triple the player count. Dead Rising has EASILY 100X the zombies. Battlefields beauty looks just as good.

FPS/KoS. EVERY COUNSOLE PLAYER HAS A MIKE. Communication is at its best. The player killing will be no worse. Little kids are more likely to band up than adults. Call of Duty is on both PC and Counsole. So, theoretically, same amount of KoS. (Not bashing CoD. It's a great game)

Too Hardcore. ...My balls are just as large as yours. :]

TOO MANY BUTTONS!!!! Bull. Aim, Shoot, Crouch, Crawl, Select Fire, Open Bag, Scavenge, Reload, Switch, Climb, Throw. Every action can easily be mapped to holding, double tapping, or simply touching a button.

Why not? Its a smart business desicion, on Rockets and Bohemias part.

Now, go tear yourself to shreads explaining why it can't be done. I will best try to counter your suggestions. Please refrain from. Simply saying "LOL. No"

Tell me why.

Cheers, FuzzyPooka.

• Like 2

Developing games on consoles is different than making them on the PC. It's not the same and it's hard to port (which is why all console-to-pc ports suck ass).

ArmA would have to come out to the consoles for DayZ to be available, and as far as I know, consoles don't allow mods.

Even if it were to come out to the consoles.. They won't be able to handle it.

Took 15 seconds! It would require a standard game, that does not really on the outdated Arma engine.

Edited by FuzzyPooka

Let Xbox and playstation sit back and be jelly that they cannot have this awsome game. and PC sits on the sidelines with all the games while Xbox and Playstation have their fits about one another.

I'm surprised how much I enjoy this. Your comment is invalid. I politely ask you to get out, and give me a good reason.

Took 15 seconds! It is hard to port. It would have to be developed anew. This is talking about a standalone game, not relying on the outdated Arma Engine. No mod, standalone game. Commence.

Someone else would probably have to develop it, then.

I don't think Rocket has much knowledge with Console development.

Naturally. A standalone game requires a team to develop. Let us hope that DayZ gets that far.

Making DayZ console. Only problem with that. Go look at your keyboard, then all of the buttons used in Arma 2, pretty much all of them. A don't think a controller has all of them.. I know you said in your post about too many buttons, but I use just about all the buttons and problem with a controller some of these double tapping could lead to you doing just the regular one tap, it could get quite annoying. Don't you use your whole numpad? Cause I do to play the game. I mean I would like to see this on console maybe, but it's just a little harder to do, It's made for the pc. I do give you my beans for actually being smart on the topic though and not just posting "Oh this should be on console it would be c00l"

Many thanks. Naturally, some minor actions should be taken out. However, the core experience remains. Shooting, and Movement and Scavenging remain unchanged.

I anxiously await more comments. Please, refrain from saying "N3wb, go b4cK t0 c0D!"

Give me why pr why not this should be a plausible idea.

Edited by FuzzyPooka
  • Like 1

Developing games on consoles is different than making them on the PC. It's not the same and it's hard to port (which is why all console-to-pc ports suck ass).

ArmA would have to come out to the consoles for DayZ to be available, and as far as I know, consoles don't allow mods.

Even if it were to come out to the consoles.. They won't be able to handle it.

Minecraft. That is all.

Why would arma have to come out, why not just DayZ? In the far future, why not?

Minecraft. That is all.

Why would arma have to come out, why not just DayZ? In the far future, why not?

Minecraft is an indie game based on Java.

The Xbox version was not even developed by Notch.

It has limitations (smaller world, different GUI, less crafting).

It's just another PC port, and the xbox version is fairly limited comparing to what the PC version can do.

• Like 1

"This won't work? How?

He would have to pay and get a bunch of different licenses to develope for console, along with paying royalties to M$ and $ony if he charges money for the standalone.

That's just a few reasons why it wont happen for a very long time, if at all.

• Like 2

I can't believe I'm validating this as an idea by replying.

As an idea, this is fine. As anything else, it completely sucks. I don't want to flame you, but I'm struggling to resist.

Some reasons of the top of my head

• You talk about a smart business decision, but Dayz is currently yet to make any of it's own money. It may be driving ARMA II sales, but none of the team is seeing a cent of that.
  • The developers are yet to develop a PC version. Currently it's an Alpha mod, a console port is unthinkable at the moment.
  • ARMA engine was never designed to be ported, it's reliant on processing power and is intensive on computer resources compared to other games of it's generation.
  • This is a simulation, consoles are simply not designed for this type of game. Even something as simple and easy as the sims didn't have an impact on consoles, console consumers do not want to play this type of game on console.
  • The ARMA II engine and teams have no experience with console mods. An entirely new team would need to be created, this requires a huge investment.
  • Mouse > Controller. Mouses offer faster, more accurate responses to the human hand. This is yet to be solved in any FPS, the only way around this is console servers and PC servers, that would mean a new hive set up just for consoles.
  • So many buttons, Arma II is not your standard FPS. Choppers for starters are very technical to fly and is closer to simulation flying then the BF choppers. You seem to have forgotten about vehicles, scoping, rangefinding, rolling, inventory, map/gps communication channels ect. This is not a standard FPS, it requires more buttons than you think.
  • New Console generation looming: You said it yourself, the timing isn't right to release a game. The developers most likely have no contacts to get access to the new generation hardware and therefor can't design the game until the specs and set up is known.

If you can solve the issues above, you should immediately leave the forums and go make your millions. I would gladly eat my own words to see better gaming.

Until then, I'm sorry to shoot you down so hard as you clearly are enthusiastic about this game

• Like 2

• Arma uses almost every key on the keyboad
  • Consoles arnt powerful enough to run a game this powerful
  • BIS wont do it anyway

You spelt "consoles" wrong.. :D

I would like to see a cross platform version which could share servers but I just don't see it happening.

Games on consoles are designed for people who don't really want any challenge or dedication to a game. They just want to sit back and relax, grab double big mac royale in one hand, joystick in other hand and press 'A' to win. Occasionally, they would put the joystick down to grab a glass of Diet Cola. That's it.

DayZ is a hardcore game that demands extreme amount of time and dedication. It doesnt fit into console audience thus from every point of view there's no point to port it to console whats so ever.

Edited by void_false

Of course it could be done, it would have to be vastly different but the main concept of dayz could be made on consoles. That said i bet it will never be made.

How about you get a PC if you want to play instead of demanding that the world change to meet your needs.

BTW, the next gen console hardware specs have been released and are worse than my year+ old PC.

Edited by mZLY

You spelt "consoles" wrong.. :D

I would like to see a cross platform version which could share servers but I just don't see it happening.

he probably meant "cuntsoles" but he misspelled it...

making servers that share console and pc players is a bad idea, because pc players will OWN console ones, due too superior manipulation devices. unless devs will fuck up pc controls.

Edited by Frozen

Answer time. It would need a new team. Rocket is developing it using the Aram Engine, and therefore doesn't need to rewrite the actual games code. But, the Arma Engine is horribly buggy, and quite simply holding the game down. If it becomes standalone, the Arma Engine will have to go. I have a PC, this is to expand this game to more audiences. Void, as clearly said in the post, too hardcore is an invalid argument.

It's okay. Counsole is spelt in different ways,as in color. As there would have to be separate servers.

Some of your questions and flames have been ignored, as they were clearly explained in the original post

Please, continue tearing this thread up.

Edited by FuzzyPooka

I can't believe I'm validating this as an idea by replying.

As an idea, this is fine. As anything else, it completely sucks. I don't want to flame you, but I'm struggling to resist.

Some reasons of the top of my head

You talk about a smart business decision, but Dayz is currently yet to make any of it's own money. It may be driving ARMA II sales, but none of the team is seeing a cent of that.

The developers are yet to develop a PC version. Currently it's an Alpha mod, a console port is unthinkable at the moment.

ARMA