jstarkreborn

Two Ways To Actually Fix the "Bandit Problem"

Before I state the suggestion, I want to tackle something I hear a lot. That is "adding a bandit skin fill fix it!" In actuality, it wouldn't. Bandits would still be bandits, y'know? They're still going to shoot you from 1000 meters away with a scoped rifle and whatnot.

To actually fix the problem, you need to do one of two things(or both.)

1.) More incentive to help people. Anything really. Right now there is more reason to kill someone(Food+Gear/The cure for boredom) then there is to help them. Other than out of the kindness of your heart, why would you help someone? The game isn't really that hard once you get used to it, and you wouldn't really gain much from it other than a slight boost against players.

Note: This is talking about random people and no one you know IRL. Obviously.

2.)Something else to do. I mean lets face it, once you get the best gear in the game and build a car/heli. What's left to do other than kill players? You could say 'survive'. But whats that? Killing animals and drinking pond water 5000 miles away from civilization? If that's you're meaning of fun then go ahead without me. It could be something like being able to build a fort with others in a server or something, I'm not good at coming up things 'on the fly', okay? I'm a thinker.

• Like 7

What bandit problem? I keep killing people and all I get are murders, not bandit kills. Is it that bandit problem you're referring to? I figure I just need to kill more people.

• Like 3

Oh well.. if only they listened to our suggestions about Bandit / Survivor system, the game would be as fun as it was before they removed it... but well they work on bugs and stabilisation and etc etc etc....

There is no bandit problem, just a whiner problem.

Well if you want a shooter game - go BF3. DayZ turned into massive PvP which this game should not be. And there's a bandit problem because 99% of people are bandits and that's not how things were meant to work, as Rocket have mentioned already.

What bandit problem? I keep killing people and all I get are murders, not bandit kills. Is it that bandit problem you're referring to? I figure I just need to kill more people.

*facepalm* you get Murders if you kill "innocent". If you kill a person who've just shot another person or injured you - you get a Bandit Kill. That's the lame way this system works right now. And I repeat.. if you came to DayZ just to camp spawn points or starting locations with top gear, shoot people (even those with no gear at spawn points) then this game is not for you. Go BF3 / COD / CS...

Edited by Delta-Dude

*facepalm* you get Murders if you kill "innocent". If you kill a person who've just shot another person or injured you - you get a Bandit Kill. That's the lame way this system works right now. And I repeat.. if you came to DayZ just to camp, shoot people (even those with no gear at spawn points) then this game is not for you. Go BF3 / COD / CS...

But what else are you going to do after you just raided the nwaf for the last time? That's what I want to know.

How do you solve the issue of players who just want to see the world burn?

Well, you can't do much about those, even on a game like minecraft, they'll always be there. But giving them something else could occupy their time...

Edited by jstarkreborn

There is a bandit problem. Am I the only one who remembers when people you saw would actually help you? Someone you bumped into in a building would frantically yell "FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY!". And you would team up, or go your separate ways. Now, is KOS. The removal of Bandit Skins, Chat and no starting equipment caused this.

• Like 1

There is a bandit problem. Am I the only one who remembers when people you saw would actually help you? Someone you bumped into in a building would frantically yell "FRIENDLY, FRIENDLY!". And you would team up, or go your separate ways. Now, is KOS. The removal of Bandit Skins, Chat and no starting equipment caused this.

I got really low on humanity because soon to be bandits shot at me(and missing), thus making me a bandit, thus making me not to be trusted, thus having to kos everyone. Also, removal of starting weapons and food helped some of it. There's no reason for actual bandits(not murderers, but bandits that actually take your stuff) to kill newly spawn players. I'll actually try to communicate with somebody that doesn't have a weapon or has a hatchet. I refuse to talk to anyone with a weapon I don't know.

Besides, whats to stop a survivor or a soon to be bandit from killing another survivor?

it would be alot easier if they didnt disable side channel im not going to waste time and type in direct chat and hope they see it and dont shoot me, if someone gets in my way or is camping an area i want to loot they are going to die. sometimes camping the airfield for kills is pretty fun but i understand alot of people are going to cherno with great gear to snipe noobs but how about instead of complaining about it on the forums(which isnt going to fix anything btw) you just man up and go kill them for good gear when you spawn..there is no bandit problem just a little girl problem.

I wasn't here when there were Bandit Skins or Chat. I would like to see Bandit skins, however. A sort of "punishment" or "achievement" (depending on how you see it) after you've killed a certain amount of people.

If you want something to make people work together, being able to build up a small fort would be nice, rather than just a tent. A defensible area where zombies don't spawn, somewhere in the middle of the woods. You can set up walls, a door, windows...

I dunno. It's a lot for a modder to do, if it's even possible with this game. I'm just throwing out suggestions. Of course, the mod is still an alpha. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of things coming and a lot of things going.

*facepalm* you get Murders if you kill "innocent". If you kill a person who've just shot another person or injured you - you get a Bandit Kill. That's the lame way this system works right now. And I repeat.. if you came to DayZ just to camp spawn points or starting locations with top gear, shoot people (even those with no gear at spawn points) then this game is not for you. Go BF3 / COD / CS...

1st off, I was being sarcastic. :D While I'm here though, I'll address some of the points you're trying to make.

2nd off, I don't camp spawn points. There is no reason to kill people respawning on the beach. There are much easier ways for me to acquire a new flashlight or bandage if I need one.

3rd off, All those other games you mentioned? They're not hardcore PvP survival in an open world. Name another hardcore PvP open world survival game. Try to name another. You can find 3 out of 4 of those in many, many other games. You can't find all 4 anywhere else that I'm aware of. That is why I like this mod. That is why I want to keep playing it. That is why I find it funny when somebody says "bandit problem". That is why I resist the efforts of carebears to water down any of those 4 elements. I can't get the full experience anywhere else. The limited experience you prefer IS available elsewhere.

There is no bandit problem. You "fix" your perceived bandit problem and you'll most likely have watered this game down into a forgettable experience that nobody will spend more than 4 hours with before moving on.

Lastly, what every person who posts about "needing more encouragement/incentive to work together instead of kill on sight." seems to be ignoring is that almost every GOOD player of the game does work together with one or more other good players. What we don't do is work with complete strangers when we can instead work with players we know from other games, players we already trust, players who are already on the same mumble/teamspeak server with us, players we know aren't horrible at games like this. The only way you are going to stop that is to make it impossible to play with friends you've made elsewhere. Good luck with that plan.

Long story short, if you perceive a lack of cooperation in this game you need to recruit some friends.

Edited by random51

I wasn't here when there were Bandit Skins or Chat. I would like to see Bandit skins, however. A sort of "punishment" or "achievement" (depending on how you see it) after you've killed a certain amount of people.

If you want something to make people work together, being able to build up a small fort would be nice, rather than just a tent. A defensible area where zombies don't spawn, somewhere in the middle of the woods. You can set up walls, a door, windows...

I dunno. It's a lot for a modder to do, if it's even possible with this game. I'm just throwing out suggestions. Of course, the mod is still an alpha. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of things coming and a lot of things going.

that would be harder to hide then tents in the woods.....and you would still get murdered when someone finds it..

The main thing is people arent bandits, they are just afraid of getting killed themselves. So they just kill people out of fear of betrayal or gettin killed. I try to be sneaky, but it dont always work. I remember being killed while it said,"Setup Completed" and the direct chat from the people who killed me was....

1. who is that?

2. Kill him.

Boom. Just like that. I spawned in in the debug field, alive, but with no gear. People don't even TRY to avoid killing anymore. it used to be there were bandits and survivors, not bandits and paranoid survivors that may as well be bandits. Basically....

SIDE CHAT FTW

Am I the only one that thinks a pretty Goddamn blatant way to end the 'Kill on Sight' issue (I do agree that it's gotten blown out of portion - only because so many of us have mastered the game and have literally no challenges besides hunting other players) is to start setting up features that allow us to hole up in buildings or compounds and actually survive? If I could wall off a section of houses, get a generator, store food in an icebox, and do tons of other neat ass shit, I wouldn't be too concerned with murdering other players. As it is, I have a Mk. 48, a ghillie suit, NVGs, a rangefinder, and a GPS: I have literally nothing else to acquire. I'm fucking done. What the hell else am I supposed to derive pleasure out of, besides the thrill of combat?

I get shot down all the time, and the player will run right past my body. It's not for the gear, but I guess it can be for some. Giving bandits something else to do may help, but we don't need threads getting players together to brain storm as there are a ton of these. Make a thread with an actual solution next time...

Having bandits makes the game fun and challenging. I got a couple of suggestions: 1) increase range that zombies spawn by double. So people can't scan towns for zombie spawns from a 1000 meters away to determine if people are there or not. Make zombies attracted to sniper rifles shots at twice the distance they are now. I consistently hit zombies/people from over 600 easy with no zombies coming to the shot. This way snipers will actually have a challenge to hit you. Also every time you kill someone it should say who you killed and who you were killed by. This feature should not be allowed to be turned off regardless of difficulty setting. People can kill anonomously all day long. People will begin to see who is a bandit and who isn't. This is only because everyone looks the same in the game. 2) Skins are dumb but make sense in a way. Right now everyone looks the same unless you get camo or a ghillie suit. I play female sometimes just so my friends on teamspeak can pick me out in a crowd. In real, you would recognize a guy who shot your buddy if you saw him again 5 mins later in another town. Perhaps change the spawn generator to MALE - FEMALE and you spawn in as a random faced/featured person with no hat and different colored shirts/pants. It goes by IP address not random every time you die. You will always be that random generated person when you log in. This way you could at least point out people better. If the bald guy with a grey beard, red glasses, green shirt and green pants keeps killing you over and over, perhaps this guy is a bandit? I've shot a friend before chasing someone simply because we ran in from different angles of a town and he looked just like the guy I was chasing, standard hat, coyote pack, dark shirt, pants etc.

The problem is not the bandits but the KoS. I have met two people that actually left me alone and didn't kill me on sight out of 100. I've screamed friendly into a mic just to be shot dead by a mp5 or a ak47. I soon, out of regret, began killing on sight in return. The bandit indicator is a good feature that is going to get put back in. It will tell who i should kill on sight and who i shouldn't.

Edited by The_Falconer

Well if you want a shooter game - go BF3. DayZ turned into massive PvP which this game should not be.

ya lets all be friends and sit at the campfire eating beans, using our 50 cal snipers to kill rabbits^

And I repeat.. if you came to DayZ just to camp spawn points or starting locations with top gear, shoot people (even those with no gear at spawn points) then this game is not for you. Go BF3 / COD / CS...

If you came to DayZ not to get killed around the spawn points, then this game is not for you. I'd suggest a game that suits you better, but fuck if I know any crappy games like that.

DayZ is about survival, if you can't survive the spawn area, don't bitch about bandits, learn to survive.