Sign in to follow this  
deancolt45

Okay, how many shots to kill a man?

Right this is now the 4th time this has happened in less than two days, so I was wondering could I get an answer. Not accusing anyone of hacking or silly stuff like that, BUT really, I have shot 4 people now point blank range with the AK-74 and none have died, first event took place in Cherno, I climbed a building to leave my character safe, I always put them on higher ground, not sure why, and when I spawned back on the server, there was two snipers on the roof, I shot the first one, prone, scoped, twice in the face, I assumed that would be enough, they then logged out and body disappeared, so not an instant kill? Walked round the roof to find another, had the drop on him, put about 13 rounds into his spine, he shot me in the foot or something, I die. Can I assume both lived? Not being an idiot, I saw the blood on both people, know I hit them, two face shots did not get a kill? Anyway, same just happened to me, came up on two snipers, put a fully magazine nearly into one's mid-section, the kill never came up... then the next, about 6 rounds in chest then they just spanked me one shot again with a rifle. Am I being hacked or is the AK-74 that bad.... I would love to say I missed, but I was at most 6 foot between all of these kills.

Maybe you have some serious lag issues?

Coulda been invincible hacker people.

It takes some time till the shots actually get recognized by the server and the client (and the engine too, I guess)

Sucks sometimes when you are blowing a whole mag into someone and they decide not to get killed

Not sure it was lag on my end, possibly server, my ping was around 40 or so. Was playing a server in my own country with a decent connection. Just pissing me off now, spend 10 hours finding gear, just to roll up on invincible players each day. Was just wondering if it was a bug or something, you can assume I didn't miss :)

about the killing and body dissapearing.that happened to me today. my friend told me that when you get killed, open task manager and close the game from the processes your body will dissapear... not sure if true but thats the only expenation i have so il go with it :P

I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but it's pretty easy to miss in this game, especially if you're hip-firing with an AK-74 in third person. You might feel like you had teh crosshairs on them the whole time but only landed a few shots, even at very close range. I know I've missed some shots that seemed totally unmissable, due to the parallax associated with shooting in third person. Remember, the bullets come out of your gun, not out of the center of your screen, so even in first person the suspended crosshair is not to be trusted except as a pointer for opening doors and picking up crossbow bolts.

Even ignoring that, the AK-74 really is kind of a crappy gun, especially now. It does less damage than any other rifle, less than the pre-nerf 1911, less than an ax. Judging by the math, it would take five body shots to kill a player with the AK-74. With the vagaries of shooting and the engine's herky-jerky performance on the scale of an individual soldier, it's entirely possible that you didn't get that before your mag ran dry. On the other hand, if he caught you with a .50 or even a smaller rifle, that's a minimum of 8000 damage in one shot, guaranteed incapacitation. That's an easy fight to lose.

My advice is to move around more when you're fighting snipers up close, and try not to fight so close unless you're using an axe. Automatic weapons are good at like 50m, because the other guy can't use his scope on you without getting a full-screen look at a shirt button or something, so just dodge back and forth and spray lead at them, reloading on the move.

I appreciate what you are saying beez and thank you for the advice, but as posted above, I was prone, i was in first person and I was scoped. It could well be some server lag related issue but it has happened with four people, the lag is not on my end and I am only wondering what is actually going on, if there was any chance I had actually missed I would not of wasted my time posting.

Sounds like hacks? That guy prolly shot you with an AS50 or M107, prolly from hacking too.

is that a public hive or a private hive?

Edited by nousernamehelp

Hackers. Lag. Crappy game engine. It happens. I hit a guy square with a Ural truck, then backed over him three times and he survived and killed me. He claims he wasn't hacking and the server was so glitchy I can't be sure. OTOH, I've been in gunfights where I've taken a lot of AK rounds without going down.

The AK-74 is really that bad.

I've had many similar experiences to OP. Saw blood and everything, at least 3+ impacts, but they aren't downed. Ridiculous.

A fully healed player has 12,000 blood. Since the AK-74 has a raw damage of 7, each bullet (depending on impact) should do at the most damage of 2,722 blood damage. Do to how ArmA works, you most likely didn't hit EVERY bullet, but the majority. It is likely they survived with no more than 5k blood and managed to escape.

Word of advice; Aim for the head.

• Like 1

Right this is now the 4th time this has happened in less than two days, so I was wondering could I get an answer. Not accusing anyone of hacking or silly stuff like that, BUT really, I have shot 4 people now point blank range with the AK-74 and none have died, first event took place in Cherno, I climbed a building to leave my character safe, I always put them on higher ground, not sure why, and when I spawned back on the server, there was two snipers on the roof, I shot the first one, prone, scoped, twice in the face, I assumed that would be enough, they then logged out and body disappeared, so not an instant kill? Walked round the roof to find another, had the drop on him, put about 13 rounds into his spine, he shot me in the foot or something, I die. Can I assume both lived? Not being an idiot, I saw the blood on both people, know I hit them, two face shots did not get a kill? Anyway, same just happened to me, came up on two snipers, put a fully magazine nearly into one's mid-section, the kill never came up... then the next, about 6 rounds in chest then they just spanked me one shot again with a rifle. Am I being hacked or is the AK-74 that bad.... I would love to say I missed, but I was at most 6 foot between all of these kills.

ya, its that bad, the ak 74 is a hard weapon to use, not impossible though, in the right hands a decent weapon (headshots),however i would choose an akm/m16/m4 anyday over that garbage, i mean the damage blows (2.7k)