duncandun

How to Properly Pronounce Chernarus Locations

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I feel like a douchebag when I go around spouting the names of towns and locations in this game and not knowing how to properly pronounce them. I hate feeling like I'm butchering someone else's language.

So I have a simple request.

Could someone who can speak Czech(or russian, I'm not sure which language the ingame cities are based on), make a video/audio recording of the correct pronunciations of the various locales in Chernarus?

That would be really amazing. Hopefully I'm not the only one who would Like something like this!

Maybe I'm alone in this' date=' but I feel like a douchebag when I go around spouting the names of towns and locations in this game and not knowing how to properly pronounce them. I hate feeling like I'm butchering someone else's language.

Could someone who can speak Czech(or russian, I'm not sure which language the ingame cities are based on), make a video/audio recording of the correct pronunciations of the various locales in Chernarus?

That would be really amazing. Hopefully I'm not the only one who would Like something like this!

[/quote']

I'll put one together for you, give me a few minutes.

They're Russian, by the way. Even though BIS are Czech, and Chernarus is based on a segment of the Czech Republic. Some of the words on billboards, etc. are in Czech though. I speak Czech fluently, and I can read and pronounce Russian words without any problems.

Keep in mind that the letter r in Russian (and Czech) is supposed to be rolled. I've always had trouble rolling them properly, and I doubt anyone cares, so I won't be rolling my r's in the recording.

lol, my buddy always makes fun of me due to I can't pronounce towns for shit in Cher. Taki and others ya, cher = no!

I'd enjoy hearing them though, so ty chicken

I pronounce Chernogorsk and Chernaurus as

"Shernogoresk." and "Shernarrus."

I know it's not an "sh" sound, but Idon'tgiveafuq.

Maybe I'm alone in this' date=' but I feel like a douchebag when I go around spouting the names of towns and locations in this game and not knowing how to properly pronounce them. I hate feeling like I'm butchering someone else's language.

[/quote']

They're Russian, by the way. Even though BIS are Czech, and Chernarus is based on a segment of the Czech Republic. Some of the words on billboards, etc. are in Czech though. I speak Czech fluently, and I can read and pronounce Russian words without any problems.

Keep in mind that the letter r in Russian (and Czech) is supposed to be rolled. I've always had trouble rolling them properly, and I doubt anyone cares, so I won't be rolling my r's in the recording.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsip5kmm4ji0usc/ChernarusPronunciations.wma

Here's a list of all the towns, sites, etc. in the order that I pronounce them. I basically started at Kamenka, went east in a row, jumped back to the west, did another row, and so on up north.

Kamenka

Komarovo

Balota

Chernogorsk

Prigorodky

Cap Golova

Elektrozavodsk

Drakon

Otmel

Kamyshovo

Krutoy Cap

Pavlovo

Bor

Vysota

Pusta

Rog

Tulga

Zelenogorsk

Drozhino

Kozlovka

Nadezhdino

Mogilevka

Staroye

Msta

Sosnovka

Rogovo

Pogorevka

Pulkovo

Vyshnoye

Guglovo

Shakhovka

Dolina

Solnichniy

Myshkino

Pustoshka

Vybor

Kabanino

Stary Sobor

Novy Sobor

Polana

Orlovets

Nizhnoye

Lopatino

Grishino

Gorka

Dubrovka

Berezino

Petrovka

Gvozdno

Krasnostav

Khelm

Olsha

Luckly I have the upper hand with the rolled Rs. At least the latin tongues works along slavic in this aspect.

Yeah, I can do them, but they take a lot more effort than they ought to for me, and they still sound kind of ugly. Still, speaking Czech fluently comes in handy every so often.

[/quote']

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bsip5kmm4ji0usc/ChernarusPronunciations.wma

Here's a list of all the towns, sites, etc. in the order that I pronounce them. I basically started at Kamenka, went east in a row, jumped back to the west, did another row, and so on up north.

Kamenka

Komarovo

Balota

Chernogorsk

Prigorodky

Cap Golova

Elektrozavodsk

Drakon

Otmel

Kamyshovo

Krutoy Cap

Pavlovo