Sign in to follow this  
Horr1d

Allow the settling of towns

I was thinking of an idea to make it a possibility to have player ran towns operating in this game while keeping balance, and the true player driven spirit of the game.

**So Note** I am not advocating any NPC's in any way shape or form, no safe zones, nothing to help anyone so please don't imagine I'm calling for anything like this, as it would kill the magic of this game.

The way I see towns now are as chests that contain random loot, I have to navigate the puzzle of zombie avoiding to acquire the items I need to meet my basic needs of Food/water/heat, with ammo allowing me to defend myself from any mistakes I make in the puzzle, and other players attacking me. The towns 'puzzles' differ with the physical features of buildings etc, and the type of loot that commonly spawns in them.

Anyway I was exploring these towns and thinking to myself how cool it would be if you could fix the infrastructure, and this got me thinking... Implement the following items:

Generator repair kit *** would fix any generator when combined with fuel and allow access to the towns street lights.

Packet of seeds + Miracle plant food *** When combined with soil like on the pumpkin patches, food will grow vegetables in 1 hour.

Wood and Hammer + Nails *** Allows the building of those hunting posts you sometimes find built near army camps.

Broadcast system, to amplify in game voice distance heard from.

Chickens and Pigs *** Chickens lay eggs over time, Pigs breed if you have 2 of them and can be used for meat supply. Can be shot and killed.

Now, if the town has a water supply too, it could be possible to "live" in the town, (zombies will not respawn when a town is occupied, neither will loot), so this gives incentives for groups to clear a town of zombies, and set-up in it, offering sanctuary to other survivors. At night, turn on the generator to light the town. Alternatively, you can find a farmhouse out in the country and try and live solo in one. Same rules could apply for farm houses, they have smaller generators and smaller workable land.

Now, this would be a bad idea if it were just zombies in the game as you would live forever, but its other players too, people doing this would attract bandit attacks and supplies ie AMMO would eventually have to be collected by someone to allow them to defend themselves or be forced to abandon the property. Think Mad Max 2 with the bandits trying to gain access to their resources, and survivors hanging on in there, ammo forever running lower.

Do you guys have any other ideas for items that can be used in the town to provide resources or role play?

Thanks for the links, will have a read and come back with my thoughts!

Thanks for the links' date=' will have a read and come back with my thoughts!

[/quote']

I haven't updated to include generators, I was just about to. It's mentioned in the comments

I think it would be a good idea but I think you shouldn't be able to occupy a town that is already placed. My group has built a "military camp" with Sand bags and wire fencing. The addition to add "guard towers" would be pretty sweet. Generator to allow light towers to work wouldn't be bad either. Allows for clans/groups of players to build off the land. Also, allowing Tents to be placed would be amazing, lol.

I concur, plus it gives some incentive to be a survivor, the resources... in the other hand, if you choose to be a bandit, you're out, and you better start thinking how to get inside that town. It certainly throws a new complex interaction in there.

Nice idea.

I don't think the "NPC" cities' date=' should be able to be used. I think player developed fortifications should have to be made. If not what is the point of having sand bags and wire?

[/quote']

Sandbags and wire can be used to block off certain roads to bandits and zombies, unless they have an item "Saw" or "Bolt cutters", for example you can block off entrances to towns, forcing bandits to enter by a single route if they lack the above items and making towns easier to defend.

I guess that could be implemented but I feel that it would make the "map" or "world" more traveled if people didn't all stash up into the same cities. If it was all player made cities then it would allow for people to travel. Leave the NPC cities to allow new players to get some gear and learn the game.

What prevents someone from walking into your town when you're logged off and taking all your stuff? What happens when almost every town in the game is settled? "You Win" comes up? Sounds like we're playing minecraft all of a sudden. I like the idea of players building structures, but anything that gives you more security from zombies and bandits would eventually lead to extremely boring days of farming the fields of what used to be a zombie apocalypse.

I agree. The only "bases" that should implemented are the ones that are already in place. Sand bags and Wire. You should requiret someone to guard the base. If someone sneaks in and takes loot then its your lose because your secruity was bad. We have a very fortified base that many people won't see.

This is one of those things where you want realism but to much and it ruins the game. There are thousands of people who play this game and if you base stays there while you log off it takes up space and if you have 1 mil people making bases on a 225km2 map there will be no space. I dont think this should be implemented in this game. You cant have a game exactly like how life would be. In real life in a zombie apocalypse I would be perfectly content just living if I had scavenged for all those things and now had a working town. GREAT! but in a game I like running around killing zombies and players alike with miles of open ground.

Do you remember how Mad Max 2 was? People inside guarding the fuel and bandits trying to break in? No NPC's ever. Just players trying to protect and gain resources from a town thats been fixed up and repaired. No items will ever spawn in a town unless you fix or make use of certain static town structure's like a well for water, a farm with livestock for food or an oil pump for fuel.

Make successful towns need regular traders or hunter/gatherers to provide them with ammo and seeds/generator repair kits/fuel/livestock etc. No zombies can spawn in or near there, but if a wandering horde of them descend upon the town, possibly led by a other players, lets hope they have enough ammo to protect it or you could find yourself forced to abandon it.

Me and my friends want to take over and try and live in a town, others are welcome to help us defend it. When bandits come to the town, we will expend ammo fighting them, and no ammo will re-spawn in the town, so unless we live in peace, which we dont, then this town cannot be forever, we will be forced to leave if we cant defend ourselves.

What prevents someone from walking into your town when you're logged off and taking all your stuff? What happens when almost every town in the game is settled? "You Win" comes up? Sounds like we're playing minecraft all of a sudden. I like the idea of players building structures' date=' but anything that gives you more security from zombies and bandits would eventually lead to extremely boring days of farming the fields of what used to be a zombie apocalypse.

[/quote']

1. Nothing prevents your junk from being stolen. These city towns wouldn't be "made to last" easily. So, when its timet to log off, better head out of town because when you log back on, it very well might be infested again. Even if they are, it would be requried to fight off bandits, zombie hoards, and send out scouting teams to collect ammo. I, personally, think ammo spawns should STOP in a city or town after its been taken over. You gotta go send out scavanging teams. No town should EVER be self sufficiant and should require bartaring and scavanging to maintain itself.

2. I doubt "every town" would get settled. Ideally, big cities like Cherno and Elektro would require HUGE coordinated teams to kill, clean up, and fortify. I also, personally, argue that these BIG cities should be taken over a section at a time and it should be a FIGHT to take over the cities. No way every town on this map on one server is getting settled unless the server allows tons and tons of people.

3. I wouldn't, personally, want the players doing tedious tasks beyond guarding. I think when something is set up, it should be mostly self operating as long as we supply the resources for it to "go".

Sounds like you want the zombies removed Horr1d.... sorry but Dayz is meant to have zombies. If you don't want Zombies in your city or loot to spawn then create your own fortified position in the woods.

This is not at all what is being argued. If a town or etc is settled' date=' zeds should "smell" or "hear" the mass amount of human stank and noise, and come for some dinner. Maybe 3 -5 in groups at a time. Then, every once in awhile, have a huge wave come and you'll have to DEFEND. Zombies would be key to making this system fun, and not just "Civilization: Day Z". I agree that player made shanty towns should exist (and too be on attack from occasional zeds, but no where near the ammount that should attack cities) but I think these should be "starter" settlements. Or settlements to set up base near a place to attack :)

No NPC's ever. Just players trying to protect and gain resources from a town thats been fixed up and repaired. No items will ever spawn in a town unless you fix or make use of certain static town structure's like a well for water, a farm with livestock for food or an oil pump for fuel.

Make successful towns need regular traders or hunter/gatherers to provide them with ammo and seeds/generator repair kits/fuel/livestock etc. No zombies can spawn in or near there, but if a wandering horde of them descend upon the town, possibly led by a other players, lets hope they have enough ammo to protect it or you could find yourself forced to abandon it.

Hmmm, I originally proposed npcs merchants as well when elaborating on my own thoughts on this. But if there is a method and idea to bypass that, that'd be awesome. And that method would be with spawning. (Also, would basically eliminate the need for a currency system. Two new birds killed with one old stone.)

I don't agree with "no spawn" to start with. I think it should remain how it is and have whats spawned now to be basic items. With out spawns before we take over, HOW are we to take over? But, I like the idea of "better" loot (and no ammo) spawning once you've taken over a town. That'd simulate a thorough sweep through (which is impossible because of fake buildings) that taking over would entail as opposed to our current "Ok, lets run in and get what we can!" method of finding loot. Also... This just came to me so I haven't had time to think on it... But what about the idea of rewarding players who hold towns for long enough with some sort of special loot? It'd have to be a long time, hours, to spawn.

As I said earlier, in no way should these towns ever be self sufficient. Maybe it spawns one resource you and other towns would need, so you have to scavenge, trade, or raid other towns.

I really think if done right, this could be a powerful, incredibly FUN system. I'd give me way less reason to look at a person and be like "... you're dead!" and instead say "oh, hey, lets make a group to take over Mog."

not a bad idea TBH, but needs to be abit ''refreshed'', it needs to give some kind of real profit

I think only thing these settlements could offer would be light at night. If it was possible to repair generators and lights in towns. That could be very awesome. But actually theres not much more things city could offer than able to store loots. Loots would not respawn so you could not stay there forever.

But when thinking this further actually "building" base with friends somewhere in the woods for example is already possible. So actually making city your base would just be very dangerous. More likely bandits would come to get you and your stuff. But this option still is interesting. It would not ruin the game...

In the thread I created regarding this exact topic, we came up with the need to fix and refuel the towns generator a few times a day, which the towns lights come on at night, and prevents zombies from coming in (for example, electric fencing, etc), but regarding a town being taken over by another group, that's just a risk you have to take when you decide you want to populate a town.

These sort of features promote people working together more frequently, and then seamlessly blend unnofficial factions into each server. You'll have survivors, bandits/greivers (a situation where grief actually can become useful), and then lone wolves who want nothing to do with the towns, and turf wars. It's a dynamic aspect that will keep the game extremely fresh without the need for any end game objectives. Either way, it add's to the realism.

I suggested the use of lockers, where there is a locker room in each town. If a locker is free, you put in a 3 or 4 didgit code (nothing too hard) so you can put supplies in there. But once a town has been either A.) overrun with zombies, or B.) Another town attacks you, the supplies become free for all. It's a good incentive for there to be sieges on your town from other players. The way this can be done is if a generator/power grid in a town is knocked out, then that town officially becomes abandoned, which then lets all the supplies be looted. Basically the power grids keep a town pumping until its knocked out, but those power grids need to be fueled to keep active, so if it doesn't get the attention it needs, it becomes abandoned without any assistance.

This adds the need to find fuel to keep your town running, if you don't find any, you run the risk of it falling to pieces. It still promotes adventuring

you sir deserve a medal. would really like to see this idea implemented !

I like this idea. As long as:

A) The growth of the animals and crops isn't ridiculous.

B) Zombies regularly attack the town.

Also how do you determine if a town is "occupied" or not?

I already stated in my post that the power grid needs to be refueled a few times a day. Once the power grid fails (from lack of fuel/care or being taken over by an opposing town/group), the town is up for grabs.

I love the ideas here guys and the problems you mention I'm sure can be tweaked and worked around.

I like the idea of a power grid. You could power up one of the large electricity gens and light up certain areas of the town. Lets say Elektro has 3 sections, each section will have a fuel per hour cost, lighting another section will add the fuel cost together, so it costs alot of fuel to maintain an entire functioning town.

The growth of animals and crops for food need to be kept to an amount that can sustain smaller numbers of people for longer, but be harder to defend. The end result will always be scavenging or trading needed.

Lets say we have Elektro, it has farmland and fresh water. Lets say we have Cherno, it has farmland and an Oil pump which gives enough oil to keep the Gen running, but no water supply.... im sure you can see where this idea is going. There could be mutual trade, with runners delivering resources to each other. Bandits watch the routes....

Why not stop loot and zombie respawning if there is a player in the city?

This way you can enter a city, clear it out of zombies and it is effectively Z-free. Also would make farmers run out of the city to respawn items, potentially catching a bullet~