tpenn

Let's conduct an experiment

Let's run a real experiment shall we?

Objective:

To minimize confusion and see what happens when you make it clear the gameplay intentions of the mod. To compare the results of a mislabeled and mispresented mod which has no real direction with those of a mod which has clearly labelled gameplay design and aspires to be a game.

Hypothesis:

When the playerbase realizes they're not playing a zombie apocalypse and probably never will be, there'll be no more confusion due to there will be no more players, except for the deathmatchers (griefers will leave when their prey is gone).

Experimental design:

1) First, place the following quote on the Main website:

My intention is not to run a simulation a Zombie Apocalypse' date='[/quote']

and generally everywhere the mod is described. Ask that people remind others before mentioning the mod, that despite the silly name, it actually has little or nothing to do with a zombie apocalypse. Wherever possible, explain in no uncertain terms this is NOT a zombie apocalypse mod and instead an "emotional peculator" designed to bring out emotions, particularly frustration and anger (wait, isn't that the definition of griefing?)

2) Change the name from "DayZ" to "The DayZ of our Wild Emotion Chernarus lives", this will remove any confusion or bias in the title that may imply incorrectly that this is some sort of a zombie apocalypse mod, which again, it is not. Optionally, implement an over-used Bloom filter, dramatic soundtrack, and cast attractive models instead of pale-looking zombies, to bring out that daytime emotional drama feel.

2) Take down the whole zombie theme and any references to "infection" and in its place put up an "emotional" theme; Flowers, Roses, Ivy and Thorns, Tears, a Tissue, a Comedy-Tragedy mask and perhaps Horatio's skull with a mounted wick and a Sonnet or two. Remind everyone this mod is here as a piece of ABSTRACT EMOTIONAL ARTWORK, to spark emotions from consequences rather than gameplay from game. Make it CLEAR this is NOT A GAME (alpha or otherwise... I mean there's no such thing as an "alpha' for artwork, right?) or has anything to do with zombies.

3) Release the mod into public domain to allow the art to inspire others. More importantly, to spawn a means of comparison by allowing actual game developers/designers who are keen on making it a Zombie Apocalypse to transform artwork into an actual game. Allow both game and art to proceed and flow in whatever direction is appropriate so that players can choose which to follow and invest interest into.

Record results from both artistic and game-design efforts and the outcomes in terms of traction, popularity, playerbase following, and of course artistic merit!

Results

- Pending -

Future Work

Compare the results of both the experimental "piece of art", and the experimental game. If both succeeded, continue to make games by first making misleading pieces of art posing as an (alpha) game. If however one experiment failed and the other succeeded in terms of results, then analyze the differences between the two approaches and determine the cause of success.

References:

[1] original posts here: http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=125&page=2

[2] griefer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

[3] Zombie Apocalypse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zombie_%28fictional%29#Zombie_apocalypse

Acknowledgements:

I'd like to thank rocket for clearing all this up. Please spread your artistic vision, it is truly nothing short of an art form being able to make a Not Zombie Apocalypse mod and pass it off as a Zombie Apocalypse mod. It must take great courage to fight the urge, knowing how many scores of Not Zombie Apocalypse fans would play this mod if they only knew, to not hastily rush to correct them or be transparent about what this mod is really about! I admire that you haven't exploited misplaced popularity and avoided pandering to the Not Zombie Fans who would have come in droves at first hint of the sheer levels of Not Zombieness in this mod!

I didn't get it. Could you please elaborate?

lets not elaborate,

T.Penn, you don't seem to be enjoying either the mod, or the forums. My recommendation would be that you leave and find/do something else that you do enjoy. If you aren't interested in doing that, please don't come here trying to ruin other's enjoyment or stir up trouble.

I don't like locking posts, or issuing bans - so i will leave this one open. But I would request that people leave this be, and I would request that T.Penn go do something else that is enjoyable to him and also does not involve disrupting me and/or others.

For transparency purposes, I will explain why I have issued a Ban.

I don't see anything constructive in this post, nor in fact with many of his posts.

As such, I've issued the permanent ban. I'll lock the thread but leave it up.