The OCD

Spawn with a hatchet?

We already spawn with something that we should be able to use as a weapon. Our flashlight. I see no reason why they don't just give it the ability to knock out a zombie or player.

You are not a new player. New players don't know that zombies will walk inside buildings, nor do they know how to equip hatchets right off the bat. It doesn't matter if DayZ is just a mod, it still needs to be user friendly to an extent. Making players basically just meatbags until they find gear is not user friendly. Any argument up to this point can be completely negated by the fact that you are all suggesting mechanics that you had to figure it out by numerous trial and error. I'm not opposed to figuring things out for yourself, but it is ridiculous that you are 100% COMPLETELY HARMLESS when you spawn.

I agree. New players don't know all the "pro trix" aka. exploits. So stop with your elite bullshit like "it's soooo easy". It's not fucking easy at all unless you know that zombies defy physics in many ways including the inablity to enter buildings without walking into the front wall for 15 seconds.

• Like 2

I agree. New players don't know all the "pro trix" aka. exploits. So stop with your elite bullshit like "it's soooo easy". It's not fucking easy at all unless you know that zombies defy physics in many ways including the inablity to enter buildings without walking into the front wall for 15 seconds.

We were all new players to the mod at some point of time - how do you find out about the exploits? Through trial and error and I would argue that those exploits are essential to the game. If you give players weapons from the get go - they will never learn the tricks. I will freely admit I died countless times before I got the hang of the game - but when you get the hang of it - the zombies become a sidenote and more of a nuisance rather than a threat.

From what I gather... people are arguing that they should make the game / mod easier... because they dont want to learn how to sneak / how to get away from zombies / where loot can or cant be found which is a massive part of the game.

Edited by NZStalker
  • Like 2

You are not a new player. New players don't know that zombies will walk inside buildings, nor do they know how to equip hatchets right off the bat. It doesn't matter if DayZ is just a mod, it still needs to be user friendly to an extent. Making players basically just meatbags until they find gear is not user friendly. Any argument up to this point can be completely negated by the fact that you are all suggesting mechanics that you had to figure it out by numerous trial and error.

i was a new player once and I liked the trail and error. Its a satisfying feeling to figure some thing out. I think that is part of why people like DayZ so much. You get more reward for usign your noodle.

Big game devs have made it so we are all just spoon fed and "tutuorialed" and babysat through the first level of every game.

I'm not opposed to figuring things out for yourself, but it is ridiculous that you are 100% COMPLETELY HARMLESS when you spawn.

Oh, but you are armed, with the most dangerous weapon of all ...THE HUMAN MIND! now use it :)

Edited by SeanOfTheDead
  • Like 1

Starting weapon means that the game is easier, yes easier is subjective and does not represent a fixed point for every player.

Easier is the opposite of harder, so I am against this.

No concessions to casuals, noobs, crybabies, studios, economic success, playability.

A starting weapon also reduces the penalty for death in game as you would be starting with a weapon, this is another reason why I am against this, death should suck and that means no kit on new spawns.

• Like 2

+1 or crowbar, or better yet an empty whiskey bottle... What a night. At least you can damage a zombie with it.

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game, it was more of an experiment. I prefer the term 'anti-game'." - rocket

Which is exactly why he could experiment by giving us all starting weapons again. Last weapons we had, as far as I know, was Makarov's which is WAY too much.

I think starting with a crowbar would be a good balance. Weak, but still SOMETHING to defend yourself. You should also start without painkillers or a backpack. Making it a lot harder, but you aren't defenseless. Because you can lose zombies, it just wastes your time.

Edited by Yatagan
  • Like 1

Wow why did it double post. O.o

Edited by Yatagan

Starting weapon means that the game is easier, yes easier is subjective and does not represent a fixed point for every player.

Easier is the opposite of harder, so I am against this.

No concessions to casuals, noobs, crybabies, studios, economic success, playability.

A starting weapon also reduces the penalty for death in game as you would be starting with a weapon, this is another reason why I am against this, death should suck and that means no kit on new spawns.

So why do you spawn with anything? You're right, we should spawn completely naked without the ability to move. Only through trial and error should we eventually be able to learn how to crawl. At some point around the 60hour mark, we might be able to stand on our legs, and we could pick out simple objects against the harsh background. But, it has already been 2 days since we spawned, so we're probably close to death from dehydration, but we don't know how to drink liquids without drowning.

Seriously, stop with the fucking troll comments and have some real feedback other than "CAREBEAR LOL NOOB". Some people like wasting literally hours of their lives trying to figure out how things work; most people don't. The type of person who enjoys figuring things out is called a rational, and statistically makes up less than 1% of the entire world's population. I'm a rational, and i've been playing for almost a month, so i'm not "crying" for my own benefit. I've paid my unnecessary dues to the zombie underlords, and I just think this is an aspect that wasn't very well thought out.

To reiterate: I just think that it is absolutely ridiculous that we have no way to defend ourselves on spawning. Not because it's hard, but because it's fucking annoying to be chased by zombies that glitch through walls and one shot you from 12k health to death by breaking your legs. I don't think that it's unreasonable to spawn with SOMETHING to deter hostiles with. Otherwise, I think we should literally spawn with nothing. No pack, no bandage, no flashlight. Trolls will be trolls I guess...

Edited by The OCD

eh? You think it makes no sense to not have an start weapon...but you think if we are going to have to live with no start weapon then they should remove every start item..ok . I actually wouldnt mind trying this, might be fun. But it's an odd statment for some one who wants a start weapon to make.

Also, you should look up the definition of trolling. It doesnt mean people who have a different opinion to you. I havent seen one trolling this thread, just rational converstaion.

Why cant you just crawl around to find a weapon (axe)? How are you getting a hoard chasing you straight after a fresh spawn? If you use prone and have some patience you wont alert ( "agro") any Zombies.

I don't think that it's unreasonable to spawn with SOMETHING to deter hostiles with

What do you mean by "deter hostiles"? Zs don't care if your armed or not...they just attack if you alert them...you can't really "deter" them. The only thing you could possibly "deter" are humans. But, actually they will be more likely to shoot you if your armed.. so in that respect having a weapon is even more likely to get you killed.

Edited by SeanOfTheDead

I love how you people say "its not hard, just go find a weapon" like people coming into this game have been here from the beginning and have watched every Youtube video on this game. Yes, once you learn how zombies work, you can do a flat out run to whatever building you want, get the gear, and get out all while loosing the zeds but new players don't know this.

As for the OP, why not a 2x4 that we floated in on and give it say 5-10 hits before it "breaks" and becomes useless; basically something to kill maybe one or two zombies before we need to find a real weapon.

• Like 2

Yeah mentality of survivor in DayZ looks like this:

"Oh cool, zombie apocalypse I must go on the beach walk! Whate shiny day! Just in case I pick up painkillers for headache, and bandage if I step in glass from smashed vodka bottle. Weapon? Who need weapon, I will chat with old fellow zeds!"

And such dude leaving his house not even taking knife, screwdriver, hammer or even simple pencil to stick into zombie eye and reach the brain. Or all survivors in Chernarus long range sprinters who win olimpic games. :D

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

Sorry but all this idea would do is cut down on the steps you take for survival which is the whole point of the game. I like the idea of spawning with nothing but the clothes on your back. I do think that since this is aiming to be a gritty survival simulation you should be able use all of tools and objects like you would in real life, for example if you are desperate you would shove a zombie or use any available weapons like a brick or board to buy time or brutally kill a lone zed. The problem is this is a mod for a military simulator so these features are extremely hard to implement until a stand alone game is developed.

As for the OP, why not a 2x4 that we floated in on and give it say 5-10 hits before it "breaks" and becomes useless; basically something to kill maybe one or two zombies before we need to find a real weapon.

Yes, something like this would fit the task nicely. Not only does it fit the "lore" *shudder*, but it is also temporarily highly functional.

/signed to 2x4 or something similar

its rdiculously easy to find a hatchet...whats the problem? I died and respawned last time and found a total of 4! hatchets in the buildings nearest me.

you don't need to start with a weapon.

It's possilbe to enter a town, using crouch and mostly prone, with no weapon and avoid all Zs. I don't see why people find it so hard.

Zombies walking in buildings is also not a bug.

I think the real question iswhy the fuck do you care if a brand new player to the game has a melee weapon so he doesn't die right as he spawns? Does it peev you're delusional wanna-be zombie survivalist shut-in mindset to see that new players get even a tiny bit of help? do you just like to see people struggle? Now go on and tell me how ' THIS GAME IS SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE REAL LIFE' and deny that you're full on delusional. Edited by Obscura

In dayz you face a zombie apocalypse. You dont know what happened, the only thing you know is that you woke up on the coast with nothing in your backpack than a bandage and a flashlight. Now TRY TO SURVIVE.

This is the way you should play the game (OKAY MOD).

This is not a single player shooter. There is no need to spawn with a hatchet. Go find one if you need one. They way to some hatchet can be hard, but thats the life of some zombie apocalypse survivor.

another delusional player who thinks he actually is in a zombie apocolypse, news flash dumbshit, if the developers have big plans to further this mod or release a standalone they need to make this game more user friendly, any potential players will be pissed off if they get a spawn next to 6 zombies and they have nothing to defend themselves with.

Sadly that has happened to me, it seems like when I spawn near the dock East of Elektro with at least 1 or 3 of the patches in the past I haven't even taken one step and a zombie saw, yelled made a run right at me. The last time it happened (since they took the Mak's away,) I didn't have crap for defence. But running up the stupid hill seemed to help get rid of em. Still there are other spawn spots where there isn't hardly a dam thing useful that's around and if you accidently agro a zed you dam near have to run a klick to find something to get the SOB hung up on.

Still another time I got cornered in a dam house on another server with a f'd up spawn rate (I have no idea why it was that way, all I know is there wasn't nothing spawning even the cans / whiskey bottles were sparce!). And no you can't run though a zed.

So I'm fine with any ideas. Hell I wouldn't mind if they just took the hunting knife and made it so you could put it in your pistol slot. If it was dark out then you've got a difficult decision to make use the flashlight or the knife! Just make it so you can cut somebody - results in a slow bleeding wound, maybe more stabs speeds it up, but a stab to the head kills. . . or something. *shrugs*

While slightly off topic here the only other thing is I wish I could put my pistol in my dam toolbelt so I can use my flashlight sometimes and then exchange them back when I don't need a spot of light anymore.

So why do you spawn with anything? You're right, we should spawn completely naked without the ability to move. Only through trial and error should we eventually be able to learn how to crawl. At some point around the 60hour mark, we might be able to stand on our legs, and we could pick out simple objects against the harsh background. But, it has already been 2 days since we spawned, so we're probably close to death from dehydration, but we don't know how to drink liquids without drowning.

Seriously, stop with the fucking troll comments and have some real feedback other than "CAREBEAR LOL NOOB". Some people like wasting literally hours of their lives trying to figure out how things work; most people don't. The type of person who enjoys figuring things out is called a rational, and statistically makes up less than 1% of the entire world's population. I'm a rational, and i've been playing for almost a month, so i'm not "crying" for my own benefit. I've paid my unnecessary dues to the zombie underlords, and I just think this is an aspect that wasn't very well thought out.

To reiterate: I just think that it is absolutely ridiculous that we have no way to defend ourselves on spawning. Not because it's hard, but because it's fucking annoying to be chased by zombies that glitch through walls and one shot you from 12k health to death by breaking your legs. I don't think that it's unreasonable to spawn with SOMETHING to deter hostiles with. Otherwise, I think we should literally spawn with nothing. No pack, no bandage, no flashlight. Trolls will be trolls I guess...

Pretty sure I didn't resort to name calling, belittle your position, your level of skill in the game, or make a vain attempt at sarcasim to make your suggestion appear like some outlandish BDSM fantasy. I only gave you my opinion and called your suggestion what it is, something to make the game easier.

No consessions, I'm not for anything that would make the game easier. I would be for spawning naked, I would be for a skill system that really punishes you for death and hampers new spawns thats what would make surviving that much greater.

You do have a way to defend yourself, you can run or find a weapon. You should really read this other thread it's alot like this one, theres probably alot of threads like this....

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/49017-my-rant-on-why-dayz-is-getting-worse/page__st__80

Sorry but all this idea would do is cut down on the steps you take for survival which is the whole point of the game. I like the idea of spawning with nothing but the clothes on your back. I do think that since this is aiming to be a gritty survival simulation you should be able use all of tools and objects like you would in real life, for example if you are desperate you would shove a zombie or use any available weapons like a brick or board to buy time or brutally kill a lone zed. The problem is this is a mod for a military simulator so these features are extremely hard to implement until a stand alone game is developed.

This

So simple bug using on map because zombies must in some points "walk" and they cant run. And what this have to topic? So such thing is OK and 5-hit weapon is so abuse? Lol, dont make me laught.

But it's not a bug..

English isn't your first language is it.

Also to the OP, I don't like an idea like yours and I hope it never happens in Day Z. Day Z is never going to hold your hand, you will die, many, many times but that's how you learn.

But it's not a bug..

It is bug or simple glitching game mechanic. Because how logicly you explain that some zombies chace you 10km in bloodlust rage and later suddently than you enter some building they stop and walk inside with distinction like on some exclusive party?

No, english is not my native ofc. And I also dont learn it from robotic english in school. I teach myself from games and movies, its not perfect I know but enought simple to understand. Like someone say, if someone like to "read" your intentions he always understand you. If someone dont have will to understand, even in perfect english - he will have this in ass. ;)

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

Spawning without any way to defend yourself is incredibly hard for a new player. They don't know how the zombie aggro works, much less how to equip/use hatchets initially if they were to stumble on them. If you aggro even 1 zombie in the starter zone, you either have to kite it into a building with multiple doors, or just run forever until you finally lose it behind a building or something.

I just think starting without any way to defend yourself initially is pretty crippling. Maybe not even a hatchet, maybe just punching animations; like 4-5 punches and you can knock a zombie down and be able to run away from it while it's trying to get back up or something.

Thoughts/comments/concerns about starting with a melee weapon equipped when you spawn?

i think we should spawn with a crowbar, the damn things worth dick

It is bug or simple glitching game mechanic. Because how logicly you explain that some zombies chace you 10km in bloodlust rage and later suddently than you enter some building they stop and walk inside with distinction like on some exclusive party?

No, english is not my native ofc. And I also dont learn it from robotic english in school. I teach myself from games and movies, its not perfect I know but enought simple to understand. Like someone say, if someone like to "read" your intentions he always understand you. If someone dont have will to understand, even in perfect english - he will have this in ass. ;)

A. It is not a BUG, it's how you get away from zombies. You do understand that they were never meant to be implemented in Arma 2 right, so they're going to be glitchy and buggy and have issues and one of the escape mechanisms you can do is running through a building or breaking line of sight. I personally have no problem with it, but you seem to think they should be slowed down or endlessly chase you.

B. No need to get defensive, I was merely asking.

just play arma 2 and don't try to ruin Dayz!

DayZ isn't a game you moron!

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

No, cross that out. That's the most retarded thing I've ever heard.

*Red font: WTH? Really you don't want people to *potentially* ruin what's already awful? I think we have a psychic here!

*Cyan font: So DayZ isn't a game... What does that make the other zombie survival shooters then?

Even if Arma II is a "simulation", it's still a video game!

Heck the easiest way to call it, is a Video Game that tries (and does it oddly) to simulate military realism.

Edited by dra6o0n