The OCD

Spawn with a hatchet?

Spawning without any way to defend yourself is incredibly hard for a new player. They don't know how the zombie aggro works, much less how to equip/use hatchets initially if they were to stumble on them. If you aggro even 1 zombie in the starter zone, you either have to kite it into a building with multiple doors, or just run forever until you finally lose it behind a building or something.

I just think starting without any way to defend yourself initially is pretty crippling. Maybe not even a hatchet, maybe just punching animations; like 4-5 punches and you can knock a zombie down and be able to run away from it while it's trying to get back up or something.

Thoughts/comments/concerns about starting with a melee weapon equipped when you spawn?

• Like 4

I propose something similar earlier, more logic is give simple melee weapon who require few hits to kill zombie. Than just run from single zombie and looking where to bug use on map to lose him. For now I recomend to all time crawling, zombies are really stupid and after few try you should know how far you can go such way.

Edited by Dalegor Dobrutro

Spawning without any way to defend yourself is incredibly hard for a new player. They don't know how the zombie aggro works, much less how to equip/use hatchets initially if they were to stumble on them. If you aggro even 1 zombie in the starter zone, you either have to kite it into a building with multiple doors, or just run forever until you finally lose it behind a building or something.

I just think starting without any way to defend yourself initially is pretty crippling. Maybe not even a hatchet, maybe just punching animations; like 4-5 punches and you can knock a zombie down and be able to run away from it while it's trying to get back up or something.

just play arma 2 and don't try to ruin Dayz!

DayZ isn't a game you moron!

Edited by Alex__2
  • Like 1

Dont ruin DayZ pacifist gameplay and dont use weapon at all if you like so hard.

"DayZ was designed to be impossibly cruel, dark, and brutal. It was not designed as a game, it was more of an experiment. I prefer the term 'anti-game'." - rocket

• Like 5

And what lose this curel, dark and brutal world if they add for example hammer who need 4-5 shoots to kill a zombie? Its not real life, in game you cant use any brick, or punch zombie in face from fist - and the only defence without weapon is bug using on map where zombies must walk. Do legal abusing map bugs is so dark cureal and brutal?

In dayz you face a zombie apocalypse. You dont know what happened, the only thing you know is that you woke up on the coast with nothing in your backpack than a bandage and a flashlight. Now TRY TO SURVIVE.

This is the way you should play the game (OKAY MOD).

This is not a single player shooter. There is no need to spawn with a hatchet. Go find one if you need one. They way to some hatchet can be hard, but thats the life of some zombie apocalypse survivor.

• Like 4

Have you been hit by a hatchet as a player? It F*CKEN hurts! I can foresee huge murder counts as new spawned players (both vets who have died and new players to the mod) have at each other with the hachets on the beach - what have they got to lose? They just died and have nothing! Anybody with a single piece of kit would have to watch his/her back constantly and this would just encourage shooting on sight even more - say goodbye to the odd and rare survivor who actually helps new players.

You may as well just label the game / Mod as a PVP 250KM map and get rid of the 'survival' aspect if your going to start arming new survivors right from get go.

Edited by NZStalker
  • Like 2

I do agree that it is hard at the start with no weapon but this game or what ever you wanna call it is only in alpha. meaning its not done. maybe a better (but longer and hard) solution is like a basic training option or small pop ups you get every time you start a new game.

One reason why pop ups would help me is because the symbol above broken leg (which i now know is shock) was confusing and i thought it was saying broken arm or something.

Im not saying your wrong with your idea im just saying there are better ways to get past the problem :)

You still say about how "hard" this mod should be. But give any alternative, tell me why more logic is bug using of map to lose zombie without a weapon. And so destroying balance is having 5 hit weak weapon to kill something? I just dont get this.

You still say about how "hard" this mod should be. But give any alternative, tell me why more logic is bug using of map to lose zombie without a weapon. And so destroying balance is having 5 hit weak weapon to kill something? I just dont get this.

Read my earlier reply - this will answer your question.

Axe would be good and wouldn't make the game too easy. Also would show newbies that you can use an axe. Currently equiping an axe as a weapon and switching it back and forth to your tool belt is very esoteric.

Sorry but your post dont answer nothing in my question. It was wrote only in tone that someone QQ because want more logic than bug abusing. Read that I dont say it must be one hit hatchet, can be other melee weapon who require 5 shoots to kill something. Its not big advence but prevent unlogic of surviving. Dont say in such zombie apocalypse world you move into world even without single tools to smash zombie head. But still you get shoot by gun fire.

You should start with no weapon, it's not hard to find an axe. Besides, it's some thing "else" to do. All too soon the newbies who think it's too hard will figure out how to play and how to avoid Zs and survive. Then, when you die in a weeks time, you will appreciate the added challenge of having to find a weapon when you spawn. Arguably this game is most fun when you find it hardest and are just starting out with every thing new.

i only wish I had not been a long time Arma player berfore Dayz, then Chernarus would be really cool to explore as brand new during the Zombie appocalypse!

Why can't games be hard any more?

• Like 3

IMO you should spawn with an empty inventory and no backpack. It would make so much more sense than the strange assortment of items you just happen to be carrying with you currently, lol.

Edited by mZLY
  • Like 1

So if you're just gonna troll without giving some semblance of an informed response or try to have a civil tongue, i'm not even gonna respond to you. If you want to flame without justifying your case, you can go circlejerk with the bandits.

That being said, "realistic" "hard" "cruel" or not, you need some way to defend yourself initially. You wash up on a beach with nothing, you still have your hands and feet don't you? If you could punch and kick, i'd be completely fine with starting naked, but you can't. It's bad design to allow players and zombies alike to slaughter an unarmed noob. I'm always welcome to constructive feedback; trolls need not post.

Why can't games be hard any more?

Because people dont explore and dont learn game by self. Only use text guides, youtube guides, wiki, online maps, maps with spawn of loot etc. Game is hard if you start without any support, if you learn everything like to some exam than game is to easy. Simple. So if you kill your fun by such things, its your own fault people.

honestly just run to one of major towns and run thru buildings... very easy to lose zombies

So simple bug using on map because zombies must in some points "walk" and they cant run. And what this have to topic? So such thing is OK and 5-hit weapon is so abuse? Lol, dont make me laught.

• Like 1

So if you're just gonna troll without giving some semblance of an informed response or try to have a civil tongue, i'm not even gonna respond to you. If you want to flame without justifying your case, you can go circlejerk with the bandits.

That being said, "realistic" "hard" "cruel" or not, you need some way to defend yourself initially. You wash up on a beach with nothing, you still have your hands and feet don't you? If you could punch and kick, i'd be completely fine with starting naked, but you can't. It's bad design to allow players and zombies alike to slaughter an unarmed noob. I'm always welcome to constructive feedback; trolls need not post.

Melee was never in the Arma games. The hachet is actually just a gun thats had its skin changed so that the bullet is minimum range. You notice that when you use the hachet.... you always have slightly longer range than Zombies / sometimes you get hit by a zombie who is a couple of steps away from you? Also notice that the hatchet uses the same hit sound even when you hit nothing? Much like a gun makes the same gunshot sound.

That is a limitation of the game. Not the mod.

I also think, as mentioned before, a weapon right from the get go would just encourage more PvP and shoot on sight as the new player has nothing to lose. Even a 4 or 5 hit weapon... Thats a lot of blood per hit. A player starts to faint around the 6000 mark, thats 2 to 3 hits. And would you really want to fight a zombie that is faster than you, making you bleed and breaking your bones with a weapon that took 4 or 5 hits to kill it? Or would you rather just spend an extra 5 mins to slow crawl to that barn, and pick up a shotgun / crossbow / hatchet and avoid the zombie all together. Problem solved.

Edited by NZStalker
  • Like 1

its rdiculously easy to find a hatchet...whats the problem? I died and respawned last time and found a total of 4! hatchets in the buildings nearest me.

you don't need to start with a weapon.

It's possilbe to enter a town, using crouch and mostly prone, with no weapon and avoid all Zs. I don't see why people find it so hard.

Zombies walking in buildings is also not a bug.

• Like 1

its rdiculously easy to find a hatchet...whats the problem? I died and respawned last time and found a total of 4! hatchets in the buildings nearest me.

It's possilbe to enter a town, using crouch and mostly prone, with no weapon and avoid all Zs. I don't see why people find it so hard.

I think maybe Rocket toned it down a bit in .4, but I remember walking in to a barn one time on .3 and there were 5 hatchets in there, LOL.

You are not a new player. New players don't know that zombies will walk inside buildings, nor do they know how to equip hatchets right off the bat. It doesn't matter if DayZ is just a mod, it still needs to be user friendly to an extent. Making players basically just meatbags until they find gear is not user friendly. Any argument up to this point can be completely negated by the fact that you are all suggesting mechanics that you had to figure it out by numerous trial and error. I'm not opposed to figuring things out for yourself, but it is ridiculous that you are 100% COMPLETELY HARMLESS when you spawn.

• Like 2

I think maybe Rocket toned it down a bit in .4, but I remember walking in to a barn one time on .3 and there were 5 hatchets in there, LOL.

I also dont get what the fuss is about. I die. I re-spawn. You can usually always find a weapon of some sort in a barn / warehouse which are scattered all along the waters edge. Once you have them, a single trip to a supermarket and you have your backpack, food, cokes, map and compass. Then one trip to the airfield near Cherno and you have your Ak or other automatic weapon and by that time your looking pretty good. If you die, repeat the process or join a server with less players on it. If the barn has no weapon. Pick up some empty cans - Throw the can to draw away zombies - they like the sound of it. Use the cans to find weapons. Kids stuff man!

All this was stuff learnt from countless deaths - every dayz player was once new to the mod and saying the exact same things all over this forum. Once you learn the tricks. Zombies become easy. Even when you die and have to respawn.

Edited by NZStalker

You are not a new player. New players don't know that zombies will walk inside buildings, nor do they know how to equip hatchets right off the bat. It doesn't matter if DayZ is just a mod, it still needs to be user friendly to an extent. Making players basically just meatbags until they find gear is not user friendly. Any argument up to this point can be completely negated by the fact that you are all suggesting mechanics that you had to figure it out by numerous trial and error. I'm not opposed to figuring things out for yourself, but it is ridiculous that you are 100% COMPLETELY HARMLESS when you spawn.

I totally disagree with you. The first thing I found out when I first ran the game is 'shit, I cant shoot." I ran into a town and died instantly. My next thought process is... How do I get there without zombies seeing me? Oh I can crawl right pass them? Great success!

This game is harsh fo survivors and it is trial and error start. I died countless times learning how to sneak past zombies but it is an essential skill needed to play the game. Much like I learnt how to escape zombies either running zigzag up hills or using buildings - again, invaluable skills late in game when you dont want to waste your sniper ammo or when zombies become a nuisance rather than a threat. Trial and error baby - the best learning method.

Edited by NZStalker