Sign in to follow this  
jorgamun

Requesting log samples to work on cheat detection

I'd like to help out with some cheat detection. I'm working on a system right now that would be able to have passive cheat detection that would go into effect similar to VAC bans (delayed, so you don't know exactly what got you.) I can't really do this without some server logs to develop around. I've made a generic system but I don't know what the logs look like.

I'd love to put my talents in pattern recognition to help DayZ become a better mod. If the admins are okay with it I'm requesting some sample server logs to work on a potential cheat detection system. I'm sure the main developers have much better things to be doing with their coding time.

Email: jorgamun@gmail.com

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/jorgamun

To add a bit more to this: my personal philosophy is that no innocent player should EVER receive an unjust ban. The system would work with this as the top priority of all analysis assuming that the developers agree with that. That doesn't mean that it will be less vigilant in its detection, just accuracy is paramount.

Bump! I'd really like to help with this as soon as possible.

people will probly not give you server logs for 2 reasons.

1. they do not show cheaters doing stuff usually.

2. they contain private player information to do with database UID ect.

your better off talking directly with the developers rather than server hosts. drop them an email or 5

In response to 2, all private information can be scrubbed easily to prevent me from knowing any of it. I just need the format, not the actual specific data, to be able to develop for it.

In response to 1, I have actually acquired some server logs and they are insufficient for tracking all but disconnect abuse, and still only a part of disconnect abuse tracking. I found out that the logs I need are probably BattleEye logs or HIVE logs, not really sure. I contacted BIS about it.

In response to 2' date=' all private information can be scrubbed easily to prevent me from knowing any of it. I just need the format, not the actual specific data, to be able to develop for it.

In response to 1, I have actually acquired some server logs and they are insufficient for tracking all but disconnect abuse, and still only a part of disconnect abuse tracking. I found out that the logs I need are probably BattleEye logs or HIVE logs, not really sure. I contacted BIS about it.

[/quote']

jorgamun, you might want to ask Owl (the host of Chicago 1 and Chicago 20) about this. He's a one of them-there NASA funded physicist and mathematician types, he wanted to work on an algorithm for red flagging item duplication. Probably be a good idea to tag team on it.

In response to 2' date=' all private information can be scrubbed easily to prevent me from knowing any of it. I just need the format, not the actual specific data, to be able to develop for it.

[/quote']

jorgamun, you might want to ask Owl (the host of Chicago 1 and Chicago 20) about this. He's a one of them-there NASA funded physicist and mathematician types, he wanted to work on an algorithm for red flagging item duplication. Probably be a good idea to tag team on it.

I do have most of what I think to be the good algorithms down for what I know exists, but I'm not sure the verbosity of the relevant logs so I'm wary to get too much into it before I know what data is available. I'd love to work with him though, what's his contact info?

[/quote']

I do have most of what I think to be the good algorithms down for what I know exists, but I'm not sure the verbosity of the relevant logs so I'm wary to get too much into it before I know what data is available. I'd love to work with him though, what's his contact info?

Yeah I know, I asked for fully verbose logging a while back and was told it was considered a waste of "time" and "memory". I feel your pain.

Anyway, Owl is usually on the Chicago 1/20 TS at ts3.monolithservers.com. I'll also PM you his email, though with his work he doesn't check it too frequently, so you're probably better off catching him on TS.

Yeah I know' date=' I asked for fully verbose logging a while back and was told it was considered a waste of "time" and "memory". I feel your pain.

Anyway, Owl is usually on the Chicago 1/20 TS at ts3.monolithservers.com. I'll also PM you his email, though with his work he doesn't check it too frequently, so you're probably better off catching him on TS.

[/quote']

Thanks, I emailed him.

I think they're going to have to go back on their stance for verbose logging at some point or another to stop the cheating, at least the more elusive and exploitive ones rather than the straight up hacking. I suppose we'll see, though I'm getting increasingly frustrated with how apparently easy it is to cheat in this game.

Still an alpha, plenty of bugs and exploits to be expected, but this is the stage where we think of ways to fix them!