Cheekything

Is there Community Ban List Project?

So it's obvious we have a massive hacker problem.

Not to meantion players who ghost and alt-f4.

So if anyone ever played Warcraft 3 there was a program called banlist which was a community run banlist that allowed hosts to keep abusive players off their servers/games.

Now what I want to know is do we have one in the works and if not why not?

Edited by Cheekything
  • Like 1

I'm keen on this too, I have some ideas about how to make it work too, but could do with some guidance from the dev's as to whether they would prefer we didn't, reasons etc...

This programm telled when the one was banned where and why right?

I've worked on projects like this before for CS (HLGuard), CS:S (private global server banlist), America's Army and for another game. I'm sure that I could make one, but I would need Rocket's approval.

I am totally for it. Today on FR141 (or DE? not sure, really) I am sneaking on three guys in NW AF, after two hour trip from solnichny, and they finaly align in a way, I can take one shot to kill one possibly hurt one behind him, (wanted to try it) and suddenly we were all transported to debug/login area... I alt+f4 very quickly, otherwise my gear would be lost.... :(

what was that?

I've worked on projects like this before for CS (HLGuard), CS:S (private global server banlist), America's Army and for another game. I'm sure that I could make one, but I would need Rocket's approval.

I believe all it takes is one or three emails to devs., go for it!

I wouldn't want to pester them as they're already very busy. If one of them happens to come across this thread and read my post, then I may get an answer.

I could also make a new RCON tool that gives server admins more log details and better player accountability. Again, I stress, this is all up to the DEV team to decide.

Well what I would be intrested in is when a user banned on someone else's list joins it says.

"Warning player GUID *****2424 previously banned on US1234 by <name> <reason> <date>"

That way when the player joins people know a) he's probably a hacker and B) they server admin can choose to add them to their ban list.

I wouldn't want to pester them as they're already very busy. If one of them happens to come across this thread and read my post, then I may get an answer.

I could also make a new RCON tool that gives server admins more log details and better player accountability. Again, I stress, this is all up to the DEV team to decide.

I understand. I am just thinking, given you stated you have experience in that field, that you offer your time and skills to contribute. But hey, I am just telling you what to do, this ain't no nice.:D

I finished my RCon Tool with the ability to report guids to a global database of me.

Waiting for dev approval of the application and I will publish it if it gets approved.

If I get enough reports I will provide a public bans.txt for everyone to use, incase someone is interested.

So yes, such a project exists.

Edited by DomiStyle

I finished my RCon Tool with the ability to report guids to a global database of me.

Waiting for dev approval of the application and I will publish it if it gets approved.

If I get enough reports I will provide a public bans.txt for everyone to use, incase someone is interested.

So yes, such a project exists.

A bans.txt? That is NOT the way to do it. All of the tools that I've created use MySQLi to localhost <-> global parser...

A bans.txt? That is NOT the way to do it. All of the tools that I've created use MySQLi to localhost <-> global parser...

He's not referring to how the data is stored, it's the result.

In arma servers there's a "bans.txt" file that stores bans for your server, by providing

a bans.txt administrators can just copy this file to their host.

Edited by CheeseMelon

The data gets send to a server which stores it in a database.

From there it will create a bans.txt for everyone to use every few hours with all the dev bans + community bans in it.

That's pretty much the plan for now.

Tell me if you have any ideas/suggestions.