Bulletproof Sandwich

Suggestion to stop bad players, hoppers, etc

I had already seen the "takes a bullet or shoots"

but that doesn't aid in stopping the majority of combat logs.

It doesn't prevent players that log on sight, it doesn't aid when shots miss, it doesn't help when chasing a player down, it doesn't help against players who log out when zombies aggro.

How do you plan on preventing these?

what exactly needs to be prevented?

this is a suggestion to prevent COMBAT logging

if a target was not hit then only the aggressor is in combat and the target can just leave whenever he/it wants to

Nope still don't see the point, I agree with the other guy. Your a complete idiot. Do you even realize how to script do you even know how hard it would be to put that into a game it would take maybe more than a year even if your the best scripter ever. YOU FAIL TO SEE THE POINT. This is IMPOSSIBLE. I repeat once more I like this in RETROSPECT, but it will NEVER work. NEVER EVER FLAT OUT NOOOOO. Does the raging caps help you see my point now? Please go to a gmod file and read the Lua file for me and tell me if you understand it, or better yet READ ME KOBRA or something computer language wise. As they say you cannot fix stupid and you sir really seem to fall under the stupid category, because of your raging over the internet. When you decide to actually find how stupid this idea is let me know. This would ruin the game competely you cannot remove computer commands. When you manage to remove a computer command please let me know, I would then gladly give you my steam account that I have had for 8-9 years along with a life time supply of beans.

Back to the issue of killing you. It's harsh and damn well stupid. People do this in other games aswell. It's called RAGE QUITTING ever heard of it?

if a target was not hit then only the aggressor is in combat and the target can just leave whenever he/it wants to

That totally defeats the point.

The vast majority of ALT-F4's are because they are being shot at.

• Like 1

So if you were following a guy and you were gonna kill him. It's okay for him to alt f4 okay makes prefect sense. Thanks Mr. Hypocrite.

I think a better alternative would just eliminate server hopping altogether by starting a new character on every server you go to, and saving your character information individually on each server. Although, I'm not sure how easily this is implement in the current iteration, being a mod for arma and all!

• Like 1

You don't think someone shooting at you and missing is combat?

You don't think chasing someone with a hatchet is combat?

You don't think zombies running to attack you is combat?

Doesn't sound very smart

• Like 1

That totally defeats the point.

The vast majority of ALT-F4's are because they are being shot at.

the vast majority of alt-f4's are actually hit thus forcing a complete log out

most people literally try to hide first when fired upon but not struck

I think a better alternative would just eliminate server hopping altogether by starting a new character on every server you go to, and saving your character information individually on each server. Although, I'm not sure how easily this is implement in the current iteration, being a mod for arma and all!

Now this is a decent idea, only problem is servers going down for good or something like that, ruining your day completely -epicsadface- But I mean it does prevent people on low pops going to high pops and spawning on the factory on cherno and moving down everyone. Sir take my beans.

I'd like the idea but I'm never on one server as my ping tends to swing wildly. Coupled with the fact that private run servers have may close at any point you have a problem.

That and the fact that it would require loads of hives. I'm not too sure how that would work, but if it does, sure go ahead.

• Like 1

Really cause when I first started I would run hide and disconnect if I was shot out. If someone is gonna kill me, they better do it with the first shot. I use to also disconnect when I heard gunfire near. That was way back in the day when you started with a makarov though. I don't do that shit anymore, because as I said. If your gonna shoot me, better kill me with the first hit/shot.

Really?

Because any time I miss a player, they're gone.

Similarly when I kill a player in a group, the others in the group usually vanish.

What's wierd is most of the time this happens in wide open fields, and when I check the area there isn't anyone there.

Of course usually after the vanish, I'll press "p" and it'll show that they aren't currently logged into the server, and usually a couple seconds later their name vanishes from the logs.

Yeah sure they're hiding, on another server.

• Like 1

I'll give you the fact that there are those that disconnect when hit. I'm not going to try to argue whether more people disconnect at the first sign of shooting or after being hit. It's all irrelevant.

I just don't see how this would be implemented feasibly. It's all well and good to suggest ideas, but keep them within reasonable programming allowances. I'm no programmer and I doubt you are either, So I can't say whether your idea would work or not. The only thing is there are so many holes that would punish innocent people, that it would cause more harm then benefit.

• Like 1

I'll give you the fact that there are those that disconnect when hit. I'm not going to try to argue whether more people disconnect at the first sign of shooting or after being hit. It's all irrelevant.

I just don't see how this would be implemented feasibly. It's all well and good to suggest ideas, but keep them within reasonable programming allowances. I'm no programmer and I doubt you are either, So I can't say whether your idea would work or not. The only thing is there are so many holes that would punish innocent people, that it would cause more harm then benefit.

could you please list the holes you speak of because it would help me to revise my suggestion

Everybody hates people who alt f4/disconnect when a fight happens so to fix it lets try this method.

If any character leaves the server when combat starts their character should immediately die on the spot.

Combat - player takes damage or uses weapon the debuff starts (like how "shock" works when people disconnect/reconnect)

Debuff - 5 minute long debuff when combat starts

Auto-kill mechanics start when someone does anything to leave the server

• disconnecting internet
  • esc + abort
  • alt + f4
  • alt + tab + right click close
  • ctrl + alt + delete + enter enter

Either intentional or not the debuff should still kill the person regardless. If you have a poor connection on the server you are playing on then quit playing there etc. I'm sure people are tired of dealing with random 350+ ping people who take advantage of the lag just to alt f4 in peace.

I'm sure if this debug was put in place a lot of stupidity would be solved.

The only thing this would do is to teach people to Alt+F4 faster. Gunshot nearby and the guy missed? Whelp free life!" Alt F4

Oh crap there's a guy coming out of that building and straight towards me Alt f4

Taking damage or firing your weapon only solves a tiny part.

Also since Iw as in a dota 2 game mid write up seems alot of people posted.

This game is not an MMO it is a mod build off a already pre existing game engine. To my knowledge this engine never had a debuff and buff system, since arma 2 was a military simulator and I know that the military doesn't have a buff or debuff system XD

On top of that IF by some strange happen chance the server COULD track something like combat, you know how much it would have to track.

Imagine if you will a 50 man server, full and by chance every has and ax and whacks a zombie at the same time, welcome to server crash XD

Edited by Jswah
  • Like 2

could you please list the holes you speak of because it would help me to revise my suggestion

Well, since all areas of combat(zombie pathing, broken limbs, blood loss, bullet hits) are handled by the client and not the server. Most of the time when I see someone log out after I shoot them, and they're stupid enough to log back in. They won't be bleeding, this is because the client didn't have enough time to relay the information to the server before the player logged.

So, I'd like to ask you again: How do you plan on recognizing a player who is in combat vs a player who isn't in combat?

• Like 1

The only thing this would do is to teach people to Alt+F4 faster. Gunshot nearby and the guy missed? Whelp free life!" Alt F4

Oh crap there's a guy coming out of that building and straight towards me Alt f4

Taking damage or firing your weapon only solves a tiny part.

FINALLY another educated fellow stumbles upon this post. Take my beans.

Fair enough.

Seems a recurring theme is how the server would deem a player in combet or not. Your suggestions, if I read correctly, are:

1. When a person fires a shot

2. When a person is hit by a bullet

The issues with this is that it doesn't prevent combat avoidance or disconnecting before a bullet even hits you. It punishes those who are shooting animals for food, something I do at the end of a run to ensure I have enough food and health. It also punishes those who are kicked by the server, disconnect because of computer glitches and other various mishaps which do happen quite often.

I think your parameters for what defines in and out of combat should be cleared up a bit. Otherwise, the only thing I can say is that instant death is too harsh and sudden of a punishment for disconnecting.

Fair enough.

Seems a recurring theme is how the server would deem a player in combet or not. Your suggestions, if I read correctly, are:

The issues with this is that it doesn't prevent combat avoidance or disconnecting before a bullet even hits you. It punishes those who are shooting animals for food, something I do at the end of a run to ensure I have enough food and health. It also punishes those who are kicked by the server, disconnect because of computer glitches and other various mishaps which do happen quite often.

I think your parameters for what defines in and out of combat should be cleared up a bit. Otherwise, the only thing I can say is that instant death is too harsh and sudden of a punishment for disconnecting.

I thought the punishment for shooting an animal was having them vanish before you can gut em XD

Fair enough.

Suggesting that a bullet sends an echo in a 5m radius around the area that was shot to apply the debuff for combat would be a little much which is why i witheld it from the original post

the "whizzing" sound the bullet makes when missing a person could send a debuff echo

the "snap/crack" sound when the bullet hits the ground near a target could also do the same

Suggesting that a bullet sends an echo in a 5m radius around the area that was shot to apply the debuff for combat would be a little much which is why i witheld it from the original post

the "whizzing" sound the bullet makes when missing a person could send a debuff echo

the "snap/crack" sound when the bullet hits the ground near a target could also do the same

Again, good idea but it needs to be programmed within the peramiters of the engine. Programming inside a pre-existing engine isn't magic. I can't go around flying a Volkswagen that shoots lasers from the headlights while the lead singer of queen personally sings "We are the champions" on the hood of the car, while in Dayz, the engine has to have the mechanics for such implementation. Things can only be programmed within the confines of the engine.

Edit: Butchered that bit of text, needed a few spelling corrections.

This is one of the reasons I believe Rocket wanted to go stand alone. So there is more freedom outside the "Military simulator" engine that is Arma II

Edited by Jswah
  • Like 1

Again, good idea but it needs to be programmed within the peramiters of the engine. Programming inside a pre-existing engine isn't magic. I can't go around flying a Volkswagen that shoots lasers from the headlights while the lead singer of queen personally sings "We are the champions" while in Dayz the engine has to have the mechanics for such implemented. Things can only be programmed within the confuines of the engine.

it is in the parameters of the engine

for example a grenade applies shock but no damage if you are close to it (not standing in the kill zone) when it explodes

i'm sure an easy tweak could be done for where a bullet hits where it could ping a debuff much like grenade shock but instead it just echos for 5m and renders people in the shot area "in combat"

Again, good idea but it needs to be programmed within the peramiters of the engine. Programming inside a pre-existing engine isn't magic. I can't go around flying a Volkswagen that shoots lasers from the headlights while the lead singer of queen personally sings "We are the champions" while in Dayz the engine has to have the mechanics for such implemented. Things can only be programmed within the confuines of the engine.

Actually, you probably could. You'd just re-skin a helicopter and make the bullets ultra fast and red and.... get the lead singer of Queen to personally sing over your VOIP while in direct communication?

• Like 1

Actually, you probably could. You'd just re-skin a helicopter and make the bullets ultra fast and red and.... get the lead singer of Queen to personally sing over your VOIP while in direct communication?

Yeah but I want him standing on the hood =O

• Like 2

Its funny because OPs solution won't do anything to those who alt+f4, unless they're slow at it. Since it takes about 5 seconds to transfer information from client to server. Most can quit in that time.

This will result in faster quitters, dead people with bad connections, and players who log on sight

• Like 1

This whole post still makes me lol. How you think it's an easy tweak, That's total bullshit right there. There are no such thing as a easy tweak in scripting or editing any game engine at all. One letter or symbol off and it pretty much blows the game up.